Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Swarm Baiting  (Read 1397 times)

Offline ccwonka

• House Bee
Swarm Baiting
« on: March 05, 2009, 06:24:06 pm »
Okay, so I have two southerly facing hives out . . . They are on a spool (say, ?3'?) off the ground.  It seems to me as a lay person that there might be some advantage in getting them higher?  Anyone have any opinions on this, and even better, does anyone have any hard results from trying this?!?!?

Thanks guys!!!
CC

Offline BjornBee

• Galactic Bee
Re: Swarm Baiting
« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2009, 06:37:24 pm »
If your going to get serious about swarms, then order a book from Root publications called "Swarming", item X56. It covers not just good information and practical tips, but goes over years of swarm research by the likes of Bonney, Morse, Ott, etc. Much of the research they make reference to was from Cornell. Not a big book, only 62 pages.

Tells you like the "optimal" height....8 to 10 feet.

Size of trap....little bigger than a deep.

In side by side tests, they can show a distinct bees preference to things like a bottom entrance over a top entrance, a south facing entrance as opposed to a north entrance, a shade location over a sun location.

Even talks about first year queens swarming less than half of older queens.

Not based on a bunch of opinion. Based on side by side test, and research. Very informative. The book shows very clear preferences that the bees have, and what gives you the best chances of getting swarms.

You can order by calling 1-800-289-7668  The book last year was 5 dollars and included shipping. Well worth the money.
www.bjornapiaries.com
www.pennapic.org
Please Support "National Honey Bee Day"
Northern States Queen Breeders Assoc.  www.nsqba.com

Offline Irwin

• Super Bee
  • howdy all
Re: Swarm Baiting
« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2009, 11:19:39 am »
Thank's BjornBee I've been thinking about that.
Fight organized crime!  Re-elect no one.