Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Tree Swarm Removal Visalia Ca  (Read 5076 times)

Offline Angi_H

• House Bee
Tree Swarm Removal Visalia Ca
« on: April 15, 2008, 04:36:52 am »
Hey all I removed a swarm about 20ft up in a tree in Visalia tonight. There size was about a honey due melon. Only got 3 pictures one is blurry sorry. I did not have my hubby with me to take pictures for me but I got one of the cluster and one of the box taped up with the little flaps open. U had to go up the ladder with the box the first time and shook most of the large cluster in the box and the branch broke. So took it down the ladder and shook al of them off. Oh ya I sprayed them with syrup. They all stayed in the box and a few were fanning but could not really see the queen.  took the cardboard nuc up the ladder to where they were clustering on the limb next to where the larger cluster was sprayed them first then shak shake. Went down the ladder added those guys to the cardboard box and went back up to retirve the last bit clustering on a small branch I just snapped that one off and went down and shook them into he box. There was not allot flying at that time. it was 6 30pm and the wind had really picked up and the temp was dropping. while I was loading the car I left the box sitting on the ground with only the little flaps open. There were bees on the outside with there little butts in the air saying come here come here. So I know the queen was there. They had been there since friday according to the owner. And they had started trying to build a little comb on the leaves and branch. So they were getting close to being out of stores. It would have been an outside hive like one of the ones Jp has showed us. Weard that they would have chosen that. They would have most likely been blown out of the tree tonight though it is very very windy it blew over my huge orange tree in a 5 gal planter which was watered and very heavy. Got home just before sunset and put them in a med super with new wax foundation. gave them a top feeder and closed them up as the wind and was getting cold. Tomorrow if it is not to windy I will give them a frame of honey and pollen from the feral hive I cutout a little over a month ago and desperatly needs splitting as they have filled up 3 mediums with brood and syrup and pollen they are doing very very very well. I will also give them a frame of brood from that hive as it should not hurt them since they need to be split. Should it be open or capped and should I keep the nurse bees on that frame. I think what I remember says to keep them on it. I will spray them with some syrup and honey b healthy so to mask the oder of the other queen.  Anyway they are home here is the pictures.

Angi
Now I have no more room to expand. Need to buy more equipment. Oh ya almost forgot. We were talking and I told the guy I do not charge for swarms and he said well can I offer you a little for coming out. As I stayed home all day calling people and they would either not call me back or wanted the lowest he could find was 500.00 way up to 1500.00 even for just shaking bees out of a tree limb in a res area. So he gave me 60.00. I just about freaked out when I herd the prices that beek wanted in this area which is outrageous. And to me says that they really do not want to be bothered with it and if they do find someone willing to pay that huge price then they will do it. I did drive to another county which was about 45min away but I told the guy I do it for the Free Bees. As they would have cost me to buy about 50.00 and up.

Angi

Offline JP

• The Swarm King
  • Universal Bee
  • I like doing cut-outs, but I love catching swarms!
    • JPthebeeman.com
Re: Tree Swarm Removal Visalia Ca
« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2008, 09:58:41 am »
Great job Angi!! Gas prices are through the roof, I paid $3.95g yesterday evening. I have been charging a small fee for swarms, its time and gas. Others are charging $125-$150.00 for a swarm. I can't bring myself to charge even half that for a swarm, cause like you said, you get to keep the bees. You go girl!

...JP
My Youtube page is titled JPthebeeman with hundreds of educational & entertaining videos.

My website JPthebeeman.com http://jpthebeeman.com

Offline Cindi

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2008, 10:42:31 am »
Angi, excellent, you are just going gung ho on things.  I am proud of you!!!  Keep on working hard, soon it will be just second nature.  Have a wonderful, beautiful day, Cindi
There are strange things done in the midnight sun by the men who moil for gold.  The Arctic trails have their secret tales that would make your blood run cold.  The Northern Lights have seen queer sights, but the queerest they ever did see, what the night on the marge of Lake Lebarge, I cremated Sam McGee.  Robert Service

Offline Kathyp

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #3 on: April 15, 2008, 11:12:18 am »
we'll have to start calling you The Swarm Queen! you need to have a t-shirt made up.

gas money is good.  that's something i'd never turn down :-) .
Someone really ought to tell them that the world of Ayn Rand?s novel was not meant to be aspirational.

Offline Scott Derrick

• Expert Bee Handler
  • New Bee
  • Go Gamecocks!!
    • Honeybee Removal Expert Serving South Carolina, Charlotte NC and Augusta GA
« Reply #4 on: April 16, 2008, 11:42:44 pm »
Great job Angie. Keep it going. I have no problem charging for removal of swarms especially when I might have to travel 80 to 150 miles if called. I'm one of those people that charges $150 for those. Bees within 20 miles I mostly remove for free but I never turn down gas money especially driving a F-150.

Go get some more Angie!
My Bee Removal Photos: https://picasaweb.google.com/109455718186385256142
My Youtube Channel: http://www.youtube.com/user/rsderrick

"You're born. You suffer. You die. Fortunately, there's a loophole."
                                              Billy Graham

anything