Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Burlap material  (Read 18603 times)

Offline papabear

• House Bee
Burlap material
« on: January 13, 2008, 12:00:26 pm »
where is the best place to buy burlap material? I don't recall just seeing it it the stores.
"IF YOU BELIEVE THAT JESUS DIED FOR U, YOU WILL HAVE ETERNAL LIFE."

Offline Jerrymac

• Galactic Bee
Re: Burlap material
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2008, 12:10:30 pm »
I actually went to the yellow pages and looked under Burlap. Believe it or not it had listings there. But I think some material stores have burlap. I guess I would prefer a place like I found that deals in burlap bags because they know the ones use for food stuffs and you won't accidentally get some toxic chemical. The bags I get are sown together and that string looks to be nylon or something so I pull it out.
:rainbowflower:  Light travels faster than sound. This is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak.   :rainbowflower:

:jerry:

My pictures.Type in password;  youview
     http://photobucket.com/albums/v225/Jerry-mac/

Offline JP

• The Swarm King
  • Universal Bee
  • I like doing cut-outs, but I love catching swarms!
    • JPthebeeman.com
« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2008, 12:22:13 pm »
Like Jerry said you can try looking in the phone book, or go on line. I get mine from a landscaper friend.

Sincerely, JP
My Youtube page is titled JPthebeeman with hundreds of educational & entertaining videos.

My website JPthebeeman.com http://jpthebeeman.com

Offline doak

• Super Bee
« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2008, 12:50:48 pm »
May cost a bit more but some fabric stores have it. New on the bolt, by the yard.
doak

Offline Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
« Reply #4 on: January 13, 2008, 01:45:19 pm »
Coffee places often have bags.  Fabric stores have the fabric.
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin

Offline wayne

• House Bee
« Reply #5 on: January 13, 2008, 03:52:31 pm »
 Our local Rural King has burlap bags for $1 each, and the garden stores sell it by the yard as silt control covering.
I was born about 100 years too early, or to late.

Online Kathyp

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #6 on: January 13, 2008, 04:34:43 pm »
i got used coffee bags from the military surplus store.  12 bags for 10 dollars.
Someone really ought to tell them that the world of Ayn Rand?s novel was not meant to be aspirational.

Offline Mici

• Super Bee
  • tougher than rock
    • http://www.carantha.net/carantha_table_of_contents.htm
« Reply #7 on: January 13, 2008, 04:42:39 pm »
garden stores have it around here, maybe you'll be lucky.
otherwise, like others said, buy a few hundred pounds of coffe, discard the coffe, voila, you have your own burlap, LOL, or potatos

Offline taipantoo

• House Bee
  • Me after six weeks of sun in Nome, Alaska
« Reply #8 on: January 14, 2008, 05:35:49 am »
I sell it at Lowe's in the outside garden center, but I can't keep it on the shelf.
As soon as it gets stocked, it is gone in a matter of hours.
Then I wait weeks to get more in.
There must not be much of a margin for them not to keep enough on hand.

Offline metzelplex

• New Bee
« Reply #9 on: January 15, 2008, 01:33:47 am »
          I buy burlap bags in packs of 25 at the local ace hardware store for .90 cents ea. I think they use them to make sand bags           metzelplex

Offline Angi_H

• House Bee
« Reply #10 on: January 15, 2008, 02:44:22 am »
Home Depot and Lowes. It is near the shade cloth in the garden dept.

Angi

Offline Cindi

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #11 on: January 15, 2008, 10:15:45 am »
Doak, right off the bolt at the fabric store.  Now that sounds the best.  Our Fabric Land quite often has incredible sales there, I never even entertained that thought.  So, off to the Fabric store I will go, one fine day.  Have a wonderful and greatest of days.

I bought burlap from the hardware store, food grade, but it burned up way too fast, I was shocked.  Then I went some distance away to the Honeybee Centre in Surrey.  This is where I have taken quite a few courses.  The owner orders in burlap sacks that have been treated with coconut oil.  It burns that cool, blue smoke (hee, hee, JP, have fun with this one) and burns for a long time.  There is no toxicity to the bees, otherwise he would not even think of selling it to beekeepers.  Yes, I would say the smoke is blueish, some may refer to it as grey, but then, doesn't grey border blue?  It is excellent fuel and goes for a long time.

I am heading off to the birch tree that has been laying on the ground now for a couple of years since our land clearing.  It is covered in what I think are called timber polypores.  I will take some pictures to show.  I am going to dry these and implement these with burlap for my smoker.  Eeeks, here I go again, I think I got carried away in this thread, my apology. Have a wonderful greatest of days. Cindi
There are strange things done in the midnight sun by the men who moil for gold.  The Arctic trails have their secret tales that would make your blood run cold.  The Northern Lights have seen queer sights, but the queerest they ever did see, what the night on the marge of Lake Lebarge, I cremated Sam McGee.  Robert Service

Offline Keith

• New Bee
« Reply #12 on: January 15, 2008, 08:36:25 pm »
If theres a chinese resturant around they get there rice in burlap bags. They usually give them to you.

Offline Gena

• New Bee
« Reply #13 on: January 16, 2008, 02:06:41 am »
Pappabear - Go to the feed store.  G & H carries it - it comes in a tarp size to cover crawfish when it's hauled.  There's a G&H in Iowa and one in Gueydan.   They may carry it at the Tractor Supply in Moss Bluff - north of Lake Charles.  But where you're at - call the Extension office in Crowley - they'll know.  If the tarp size is too big, there are burlap bags they sell for sweet potatoes.  Good luck. Gena   ;)

Offline annette

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #14 on: January 19, 2008, 11:58:42 pm »
Doak, right off the bolt at the fabric store.  Now that sounds the best.  Our Fabric Land quite often has incredible sales there, I never even entertained that thought.  So, off to the Fabric store I will go, one fine day.  Have a wonderful and greatest of days.

OK, now I have a question about this!!  I just purchased some burlap from Walmart fabric department. They sell it by the yard.
Well, now I am wondering about this burlap if it is treated or not. How do you know when the burlap is treated with some chemical that might burn off and poison the bees?? I am afraid to use this burlap now, because I do not know.

I also purchased some pure, untreated, cotton batting to use for the smoker. What do you all think about this???

Annette

Offline Jerrymac

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #15 on: January 20, 2008, 12:00:56 am »
Surely it wouldn't be treated with out a label. Too many people sensitive to chemicals you know.
:rainbowflower:  Light travels faster than sound. This is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak.   :rainbowflower:

Online Kathyp

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #16 on: January 20, 2008, 12:15:00 am »
the only things that material sold in the us should be treated with, without a label are things like sizing and fireproofing.  a good washing with a little bleach should take out anything other than the fireproofing....and do a little research.  seems i remember something about labeling fireproofed material also.  + you can call walmart and at least get the name of the supplier.  the supplier should be able to give you the info you need.

my guess is that it's ok, but it never hurts to check and to wash.
Someone really ought to tell them that the world of Ayn Rand?s novel was not meant to be aspirational.

Offline annette

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #17 on: January 20, 2008, 12:18:12 am »
Wash with bleach??? You mean in addition to the regular washing soap???  I did ask the women who sold me the fabric and she did not know anything.

Will look into this further. I do not smell anything really chemical like when I smell it.

Annette

Offline rdy-b

• Super Bee
« Reply #18 on: January 20, 2008, 12:53:29 am »
Well now if it is treated with fire retardant-wont it be hard to burn - might be a good indicator -how much they charge?-washing smoker fuel is just a little bit crazy in my book if it burns use it -the best smoker fuel for you is the pine needels that accumulate on the side of the road especially after they have been run over -dont take my word for it this comes from our own golden boy randy oliver -one of calis finest-they gather huge amounts of this free resource for there years supply of cool white smoke-  8-) RDY-B

Offline Jerrymac

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #19 on: January 20, 2008, 01:04:44 am »
Pine needles  :? Do you see any trees out there

Offline rdy-b

• Super Bee
« Reply #20 on: January 20, 2008, 01:19:25 am »
dont see any walmart ether :-D  -got to go to placervile for the pine needels  :lol:  nice rainbow - RDY-B

Offline UtahBees

• House Bee
    • My Photos on Flickr
« Reply #21 on: January 20, 2008, 01:20:53 am »
Pine needles  :? Do you see any trees out there

Haha! Beautiful photo!

Offline Jerrymac

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #22 on: January 20, 2008, 01:25:55 am »
OK here is the other end

Offline rdy-b

• Super Bee
« Reply #23 on: January 20, 2008, 01:27:30 am »
ya but now we now where you keep the GOLD :-D RDY-B

Offline Jerrymac

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #24 on: January 20, 2008, 01:29:51 am »
ya but now we now where you keep the GOLD :-D RDY-B

You can't see my house in that picture. It's behind the camera.

OOOppps  :shock:

Offline rdy-b

• Super Bee
« Reply #25 on: January 20, 2008, 01:31:27 am »
the safes not in the trailer :?  8-) RDY-B

Offline Cindi

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #26 on: January 20, 2008, 10:13:07 am »
Jerry, simply an astounding picture, so beautiful.  There is something about the countryside that holds an intrigue for me.  This type that you live with, the view for miles around, without anything to obscure the vision, I like that.  Do you live in a area that has any mountains nearby at all?  I like mountains, but we have too many, and we live to close to one, that makes our little spot on earth very cold and rainier than say, the other side of the river, in the flatlands.  Nice picture.  Have a great and greatest of days.  Cindi
There are strange things done in the midnight sun by the men who moil for gold.  The Arctic trails have their secret tales that would make your blood run cold.  The Northern Lights have seen queer sights, but the queerest they ever did see, what the night on the marge of Lake Lebarge, I cremated Sam McGee.  Robert Service

Offline Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
« Reply #27 on: January 20, 2008, 12:34:05 pm »
Some of the old bags had a smell to them a bit like diesel fuel that I think was some kind of treatment so they wouldn't rot.  None of the burlap I've bought at the fabric stores have that smell and it has worked fine for me.  None of the coffee bags I've gotten have had that smell either and they have also worked fine.
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin

Online Kathyp

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #28 on: January 20, 2008, 12:47:24 pm »
i'm sure it's fine also, but washing it won't hurt.  a little bleach in addition to the detergent won't hurt.  don't need a huge amount. 

one thing about washing burlap...i have don't it when i got some that was pretty dirty....it sheds!!!!  if you can dry it outside, do so.  if you have to use the dryer, clean the lint trap often as it drys.

my coffee bags smell like coffee.  it's great!  :-)

pine cones (the small ones) work also.  the advantage to the burlap is that it doesn't leave the residue that the pine leaves.

Offline annette

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #29 on: January 20, 2008, 02:06:02 pm »
RDY-B.

Yes, I worked with Randy Oliver 2 years ago and he showed me the pine needles he uses and told me how he gets them.  I will consider this at some point. Have to gather them in the fall, I believe.

Anyway, thank you all for the good info on burlap. I really believe this burlap to be OK and do not detect any unusual smell, and my nose is very sharp. I will, though, throw it in the wash as it cannot hurt either.

Thanks for all the help, which I so much appreciate

Annette

Offline Jerrymac

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #30 on: January 20, 2008, 02:23:45 pm »
Cindi,
There isn't any mountains around anywhere. The only trees here were brought in by the white man. A story from the past is when the white man first started crossing these flat grounds they would pile up buffalo bones real high and then continue west. When the first pile was at some distance they would then make another pile. And so on and so on. This was so they would have some land mark to find their way back.

Offline Alan Forbes

• New Bee
« Reply #31 on: January 20, 2008, 03:26:43 pm »
Many plumbing wholesalers (at least where I live) use burlap bags for material handling.  I'm a plumbing contractor and when I get a delivery, the materials often come in these bags.  You might want to check with a local supply house; they might sell you some.

Offline Cindi

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #32 on: January 20, 2008, 11:17:44 pm »
OK, got a trivia question, maybe someone will know the answer.  Burlap sacks, gunny sacks.   It seems to me that when I was a young girl my Dad would speak of the gunny sacks.  Is that just old timer jargon, or does "gunny" have a distinct meaning?  Best of a great day.  Cindi

Offline Understudy

• Galactic Bee
    • http://www.understudy.net
« Reply #33 on: January 20, 2008, 11:20:51 pm »
Burlap bags and Gunny sacks are the same thing. Burlap bags hold potatos. Gunny sacks hold small children in gunny races at fair.

Sincerely,
Brendhan

The status is not quo. The world is a mess and I just need to rule it. Dr. Horrible

Offline Cindi

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #34 on: January 20, 2008, 11:40:46 pm »
Brendhan, oh man, you are some whacky dude, but you make me wanna laugh.  You have this side to you that just makes one go, huh?   :roll: :shock: :? 8-)  Love it, and I love your mannerisms.  Have a great and wonderful day.  Cindi

Offline reinbeau

• Super Bee
« Reply #35 on: January 21, 2008, 08:59:15 am »
Yes, I worked with Randy Oliver 2 years ago and he showed me the pine needles he uses and told me how he gets them.  I will consider this at some point. Have to gather them in the fall, I believe.

Annette, we use pine needles, there's a compost area behind the hive where there's always plenty of them ready to pick up and use.  They work well, they're close by and they're free, so if it's free it's for me!  ;)

Offline Scadsobees

• Galactic Bee
  • Best use of smileys in a post award.
« Reply #36 on: January 21, 2008, 09:33:57 am »
Gunny sack:  I was going to say it is what Army puts their gunnys in to keep them dry... :roll:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gunny
Rick

Offline Jerrymac

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #37 on: January 21, 2008, 11:32:26 am »
Have you ever heard of "toe sack" or some spell it "tow sack".

Offline Cindi

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #38 on: January 21, 2008, 10:56:29 pm »
Jerry, nope not me, nope, never heard of that toe sack.  Best of a great day.  Cindi

Offline Jerrymac

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #39 on: January 21, 2008, 11:11:38 pm »
Poke Salad Annie. Picks herself a mess of Poke Salad and carries it home in a toe sack.....

Never heard that song?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fRF24LY5pvw&feature=related

Offline rdy-b

• Super Bee
« Reply #40 on: January 21, 2008, 11:31:07 pm »
tote sack could have been a pillow case i duno    :lol: 8-)                                                                              http://www.lyricsdownload.com/tony-joe-white-polk-salad-annie-lyrics.html      RDY-B

Offline Cindi

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #41 on: January 21, 2008, 11:35:56 pm »
Jerry, ha, ha, laughing and laughing.  Well, I never!!!  I love that song, it has probably been one of oldest and favourite songs EVER done.  The strangest and weirdest part, I never knew what the lyrics were saying, go figure that -- I did know the gator got her granny

POKE SALAD ANNIE!!!!  I still can't get over that I never knew what they were saying.

I always thought too, that it was someone else that sang that song, like CCR or something strange like that.  Where on earth do I live?  Hmmmm...maybe on Mars.  Have a beautiful and wonderful day.  Cindi

I bookmarked that page, so I can listen to Poke Salad Annie any time that I want, hee, hee, you made my day!!!!!

Offline Cindi

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #42 on: January 21, 2008, 11:39:31 pm »
RDY-B.  Good site, and wow, how nice to really know how the lyrics to that song went  :shock:  Have an awesome day.  Cindi

Offline Jerrymac

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #43 on: January 21, 2008, 11:48:55 pm »
Elvis Presley also sang it...

OH! My bad. So in the song it is a tote sack. This burlap bag has got a lot of aliases.

Offline Brian D. Bray

• Heavenly Beekeeper
  • Heavenly Beekeeper
  • Galactic Bee
  • I really look like this, just ask Cindi.
    • http://spaces.msn.com/thecoonsden
« Reply #44 on: January 21, 2008, 11:54:22 pm »
Elvis Presley also sang it...

OH! My bad. So in the song it is a tote sack. This burlap bag has got a lot of aliases.

Actually a Tote sack is not burlap, it is a cotton bag with a draw string.  Used to use one for holding my laundry when in the Army.
Life is a school.  What have you learned?   :brian:      The greatest danger to our society is apathy, vote in every election!

Offline Jerrymac

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #45 on: January 22, 2008, 12:04:21 am »
Ok. So I'm wrong

Offline reinbeau

• Super Bee
« Reply #46 on: January 22, 2008, 09:30:39 am »
Jerry, ha, ha, laughing and laughing.  Well, I never!!!  I love that song, it has probably been one of oldest and favourite songs EVER done.  The strangest and weirdest part, I never knew what the lyrics were saying, go figure that -- I did know the gator got her granny

POKE SALAD ANNIE!!!!  I still can't get over that I never knew what they were saying.

I always thought too, that it was someone else that sang that song, like CCR or something strange like that.  Where on earth do I live?  Hmmmm...maybe on Mars.  Have a beautiful and wonderful day.  Cindi

I bookmarked that page, so I can listen to Poke Salad Annie any time that I want, hee, hee, you made my day!!!!!
Misunderstood lyrics are pretty funny - have you ever been to The Archive of Misheard Lyrics (be sure to read the URL of the webpage, it's pretty funny)?  I laugh when I think of the words I used to use on some songe because I just couldn't figure out what they were actually saying, here's a website devoted to the subject!  :lol:

Offline Cindi

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #47 on: January 22, 2008, 10:38:52 am »
Ann, now you got me laughing my head off.  This is the most wonderful thing, this forum, if it just plain and simply doesn't start one's day off with a bang and a laugh, or two or many, I don't know what else does (other than my Daughter's pittbulls that both come over in the early morning for their Gramma fix), the front door opens up, after they push it open with their noses, they see me sitting on the couch with my laptop and then they do something funnneeeee to catch my attention, or both just climb up on the couch beside me, tuck their heads between their front paws, all huddled up, keeping warm, and loving life.  EEEKs.....I am so off trackin' and always ramblin'.

Right....where was I?  Yep, uh huh!!!  About the lyrics to songs that are so often mistaken for weird stuff.  There is a song (I know now what the lyrics are), it is about "I was a work shop owner".  Well, I have no clue what I thought the words were, but  I also loved this song and I thought the guy sang the most funniest of words that made no sense.  But now that I know he was a "work shop owner", it is understood.  I still can't figure out the rest of the words though, guess I should get off my lazy butt and google it, but then that would be too much work, I hve better things to do, like read some more posts on our forum, hee, hee.  Have a fantastic day.  Cindi

anything