Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Wild bee hive in tree now in my lawn  (Read 9522 times)

Offline jcbrotz

• New Bee
Wild bee hive in tree now in my lawn
« on: January 02, 2011, 10:44:53 am »
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

So the story goes I cut down this big hemlock 36in on the butt. Tree hits the ground I hit the road bees everyware. I come back to get the sawafter 5 or so minutes after watching them. Tree is hollow 24+inches of hive what I thought was one entry hole about 10ft up but later find out it has 2 entry holes 1 at 3ft and one at 10 ft. Maybe 2 hives? I talked to a couple guys that do bees they are all excited to get a free hive we talk how to get it out I even offer deliver of the tree yet no one shows so I now have a 24 foot tall tree somewhat vertical leaning on a Y of a maple in my hedgrow. I capped the top and the bottom hoping to keep the bees in there till spring so I can learn how to do something with them so now I am asking for advice. I guess I'll just let you guys take it from here but I am now planning on doing honeybees as I cut down a tree or 2 each year with bees in it, AND now I have a hive that is as near as I can figuire about 14ft tall. I got a good pound of honey out of the combs that fell out when I stood it up. Now the wife is even interested so now the adventure begins OHHHHH the things I get my self into

Thanks and any help would be appriciated
Charlie

Offline Kathyp

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
Re: Wild bee hive in tree now in my lawn
« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2011, 11:36:02 am »
welcome to beekeeping!  first thing we need is your location.  you can change it in your profile.  the advice you  need if you live in england is not the same advice as you'd need for Australia  :-D

believe it or not, your's is not a unique situation.  if you search around on here, you'll find several people who have done the same.  most recently OzBuz (sp?)  and earlier Tillie.  both accounts are on here somewhere.

for a start, you have done the right thing in doing nothing until spring.  dropping the tree might have doomed the hive with an internal collapse, but opening it now would kill them for sure (unless you are down-under).
Someone really ought to tell them that the world of Ayn Rand?s novel was not meant to be aspirational.

Offline hardwood

• Galactic Bee
  • Alysian Apiaries youtube.com/MrBeedude
« Reply #2 on: January 02, 2011, 11:36:18 am »
Where are you located Charlie? Maybe someone from here is near you and can give counsel. Don't lock them in tight...they need to be able to fly on warm days to cleanse (poop).

Scott
"In the first place, we should insist that if the immigrant who comes here in good faith becomes an American and assimilates himself to us, he shall be treated on an exact equality with everyone else, for it is an outrage to discriminate against any such man because of creed, or birthplace, or origin. But this is predicated upon the person's becoming in every facet an American, and nothing but an American...There can be no divided allegiance here. Any man who says he is an American, but something else also, isn't an American at all. We have room for but one flag, the American flag...We have room for but one language here, and that is the English language...And we have room for but one sole loyalty and that is a loyalty to the American people."

Theodore Roosevelt 1907

Offline jcbrotz

• New Bee
« Reply #3 on: January 02, 2011, 11:40:29 am »
I will change my profile but I am in northeast PA.

Offline Yuleluder

• House Bee
    • Yule's Apiaries
« Reply #4 on: January 02, 2011, 11:40:46 am »
Hey Charlie!  I see you found this forum also, lol.  He's from Pennsylvania, a couple hours north of me.

Offline jcbrotz

• New Bee
« Reply #5 on: January 02, 2011, 11:44:59 am »
Hey Charlie!  I see you found this forum also, lol.  He's from Pennsylvania, a couple hours north of me.

Looks like a good forum just trying to get the most info the easiest. I PM you back on Beesource.

Offline JP

• The Swarm King
  • Universal Bee
  • I like doing cut-outs, but I love catching swarms!
    • JPthebeeman.com
« Reply #6 on: January 02, 2011, 12:23:58 pm »
Likely you will need to let it sit right there til spring unless this hunk of tree can be moved by some bee keeper with the means to haul it off. If the two hives (is what I'm thinking) make it til spring, someone with experience can do a cut out or trap out on the tree come spring.

Maybe at that time you can watch and learn how its done.

...JP
My Youtube page is titled JPthebeeman with hundreds of educational & entertaining videos.

My website JPthebeeman.com http://jpthebeeman.com

Offline VolunteerK9

• Super Bee
  • Gamecock fan in UT land.
« Reply #7 on: January 02, 2011, 12:31:02 pm »
someone with experience can do a cut out or trap out on the tree come spring.

Maybe at that time you can watch and learn how its done.

...JP

Or one heckuva  road trip for the JP/Schawee Bee Removal Video Series. "Here we are folks in the state of PA" Just think of all the shake stands ya'll could hit on the way.

Offline JP

• The Swarm King
  • Universal Bee
    • JPthebeeman.com
« Reply #8 on: January 02, 2011, 12:36:15 pm »
That would be one heck of a road trip!  ;) I wonder how many shakes it would take to make a trip like that? You know Schawee'd probably have at least 6 or 7 just going there. If baby shakes, you better double that number.  :-D

...JP
My Youtube page is titled JPthebeeman with hundreds of educational & entertaining videos.

Offline iddee

• Universal Bee
« Reply #9 on: January 02, 2011, 12:43:57 pm »
Here is one I got from a tree cutter last fall.

http://www.beekeepingforums.com/viewtopic.php?f=35&t=2452

It is flying today, after 3 snows and temps. in the teens, so maybe it'll make it to spring. I'll use a few newbees from the local club to remove them if it makes it.

Here is the one I overwintered last year and removed in the spring.

http://www.beekeepingforums.com/viewtopic.php?f=35&t=493

Charlie, if it makes it through the winter, go to your local bee club. There, you can likely find one good remover and a host of newbees willing to help, just for the experience. No money needed.
Also, the different forums have people on them that will walk you through it and even be on standby while you are actually doing it, ready for an emergency post or PM.

PS to JP. I can have a half dozen shakes waiting at the half way mark...  :-D
"Listen to the mustn'ts, child. Listen to the don'ts. Listen to the shouldn'ts, the impossibles, the won'ts. Listen to the never haves, then listen close to me . . . Anything can happen, child. Anything can be"

*Shel Silverstein*

Offline JP

• The Swarm King
  • Universal Bee
    • JPthebeeman.com
« Reply #10 on: January 02, 2011, 12:49:33 pm »
Iddee, glad to see the bees in that huge chunk of wood are flying, looks like they may just make it to spring.

Iddee, you a good man to buy Schawee 20 shakes by the half way mark.  :-D

...JP

Offline jcbrotz

• New Bee
« Reply #11 on: January 02, 2011, 02:47:25 pm »
Here are some pics of how the tree and the bees stand right now. If there are 2 hives then the bottom one is a little upset with me right now. They did not like to have their pictures taken.

« Last Edit: January 02, 2011, 04:29:06 pm by Robo »

Offline Kathyp

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #12 on: January 02, 2011, 03:19:39 pm »
how is NC half way to PA?  you might as well come by my place.  i'll make the shakes with fresh berries!   :evil:
Someone really ought to tell them that the world of Ayn Rand?s novel was not meant to be aspirational.

Offline iddee

• Universal Bee
« Reply #13 on: January 02, 2011, 03:41:42 pm »
PM one of the mods. They have to post pics for you until you are a seasoned member.
"Listen to the mustn'ts, child. Listen to the don'ts. Listen to the shouldn'ts, the impossibles, the won'ts. Listen to the never haves, then listen close to me . . . Anything can happen, child. Anything can be"

*Shel Silverstein*

Offline jcbrotz

• New Bee
« Reply #14 on: January 02, 2011, 03:53:49 pm »
PM one of the mods. They have to post pics for you until you are a seasoned member.

Done thanks I just got them into my post on beesource

Offline Acebird

• Galactic Bee
  • Just do it
« Reply #15 on: January 02, 2011, 04:13:22 pm »
Ah heck jcbrotz, suit up and rev up that chain saw.  Slab off that tree in 4 in increments and dump the comb in any box.  Maybe you can use the kids toy box or something like that.  Let the bees sort it out themselves.  How you gonna learn if you don’t dig right in.  Get over your fears. Don’t be a wimp.  Oh, I almost forgot, paste a sign on your chest “I mean you no harm”.

I’m just kidding jcbrotz.  Leave it alone and get some help in the Spring even if it is an old timer that keeps doing it all wrong.
Brian Cardinal
Just do it

Offline Tommyt

• Field Bee
« Reply #16 on: January 02, 2011, 08:38:24 pm »
I even offer deliver of the tree yet no one shows so I now have a 24 foot tall tree somewhat vertical leaning on a Y of a maple in my hedgrow

jcbrotz
 Glad you made it over here ,hope someone is close and can come by too help.You say you offered other folks the bees and even to bring the tree :shock:
 If you have the machinery to move that tree ,I think you should try and set it back up right ,even if you have to move it somewhere else, If there is a way to re-right it, the bees will settle better
They build using gravity and now their comb is all angled and discombobulated.
The seasoned beekeepers here may say more than me(I'm a green horn)
 I think if you can stand it,Go for it
When summer rolls around you'll know enough to get you some free bees from it.
I'm sure by then there will be a Beek willing to help you remove and box them,
your on your way to a new Hobby and more??
Welcome to Beemaster and bee keeping

Tommyt
"Not everything found on the internet is accurate"
Abraham Lincoln

Offline backyard warrior

• House Bee
« Reply #17 on: January 03, 2011, 06:53:41 pm »
no offense intended but why did u cut the tree down now  and not wait till spring to do i when its warmer ??? :roll:

Offline jcbrotz

• New Bee
« Reply #18 on: January 03, 2011, 07:08:41 pm »
no offense intended but why did u cut the tree down now  and not wait till spring to do i when its warmer ??? :roll:

UHM cuz I wanted to saw out a bunch of 1X10X12 (I own a sawmill) not make honey. I had no idea there were bees in it when I cut it if I did they would still be in the woods.
Not intentional by any means just one of those things that has happened to me 3 time so far (none intenionaly). I have gave away 2 bee trees in the last 3 year, but nobody would take it even if I delivered it :?. So now I have a new hobby saving the bees. I know were 2 more trees are right now but they are living happily in the wild and staying that way unless something happens to them.
« Last Edit: January 03, 2011, 08:07:47 pm by jcbrotz »

Offline Acebird

• Galactic Bee
  • Just do it
« Reply #19 on: January 03, 2011, 07:57:20 pm »

I know were 2 more trees are right now but they are living happily in the wild and staying that way unless something happens to them.

It sounds like you have a natural queen rearer that likes those trees.  If you are serious about getting into the hobby I would let them be and look into trap outs.  You already have the hives you just need to encourage them to live in a box where you can steel their honey. :-D
Brian Cardinal
Just do it

anything