Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: another cut-out  (Read 3610 times)

Offline wildbeekeeper

• House Bee
another cut-out
« on: June 03, 2009, 11:23:15 am »
Did another cut-out last saturday. The bees were in the floor of the second floor...they were getting in through an opening in the bricks on the outside until  they replaced the bricks so they found a hole in the window nearby and came into the building and then into a crack in the floor by and old radiator.  I ended up getting about 6 lbs of capped honey 10 full deep frames of comb with various stages of brood in it and another 5   "half" frames that had comb comb honey and brood.  I used Robos vac design and t worked perfectly!!!  I had a full deep filled to the brim with bees and when I placed them in the hive there were very few dead bees at the bottom......  youc an see some of the pics at the link below.  There must have been a colony in there in years past, becasue there is very old black comb that wasnt being used and also evidence of a wax moth infestation at some ploint as well

http://picasaweb.google.com/srepasky/Cutout2?feat=directlink

Offline Bill W.

• House Bee
    • Bees by the Sea
Re: another cut-out
« Reply #1 on: June 03, 2009, 12:30:41 pm »
Cool.  I like the jobs that are in the floor.  For some reason, all my jobs seem to be third story eaves this year.  Looks like some dark honey in those combs.

Offline Cindi

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #2 on: June 04, 2009, 01:13:28 am »
Wildbeekeeper, wow!!!  That be a whole lot o honey and brood, yay!!!  Gotta love that eh?  Beautiful days, to love and live, health.  Cindi
There are strange things done in the midnight sun by the men who moil for gold.  The Arctic trails have their secret tales that would make your blood run cold.  The Northern Lights have seen queer sights, but the queerest they ever did see, what the night on the marge of Lake Lebarge, I cremated Sam McGee.  Robert Service

Offline JP

• The Swarm King
  • Universal Bee
  • I like doing cut-outs, but I love catching swarms!
    • JPthebeeman.com
« Reply #3 on: June 04, 2009, 02:05:41 am »
Great job, interesting building.

...JP
My Youtube page is titled JPthebeeman with hundreds of educational & entertaining videos.

My website JPthebeeman.com http://jpthebeeman.com

Offline G3farms

• Super Bee
« Reply #4 on: June 04, 2009, 09:20:46 am »
Nice cut out, and you did a good job.

Those bee vacs work good don't they!!  Now to build one of the shims, it will work even better (my roll of #8 wire mesh just came in so now I can finish mine).

G3
those hot bees will have you steppin and a fetchin like your heads on fire and your keister is a catchin!!!

Bees will be bees and do as they please!

Offline wildbeekeeper

• House Bee
« Reply #5 on: June 04, 2009, 11:57:23 am »
Thanks everyone... it was tough at first until I figured out what the heck was going on with the  floor!  The vac worked wonders and it definately controlled the number of bees buzzin around.  Had to use more smaoke as I went deeper and deeper into the hive as there were A few times that i got some vicious head butting!

I saved the weird comb from the old section... it was weird.. looked like they built from the bottom up instetad of attaching it to the floor boards!

Offline G3farms

• Super Bee
« Reply #6 on: June 04, 2009, 02:50:48 pm »
the old comb probabaly got hot and melted, or broke off and fell down.

G3
those hot bees will have you steppin and a fetchin like your heads on fire and your keister is a catchin!!!

Offline wildbeekeeper

• House Bee
« Reply #7 on: June 04, 2009, 02:56:28 pm »
possibly but it didnt look deformed in that way....either way... it was different

Offline G3farms

• Super Bee
« Reply #8 on: June 04, 2009, 08:25:33 pm »
stick a wick in the middle of it and sell it at the craft fair for 50 bucks, there will be somebody buy it. :-D

G3

Offline 1reb

• Super Bee
« Reply #9 on: June 04, 2009, 09:28:52 pm »
Congratulations on your cut out
Johnny

Offline wildbeekeeper

• House Bee
« Reply #10 on: June 04, 2009, 09:57:12 pm »
G3 - its funny you said that... I was thinking along the same lines.... "i could probably sell this..."  I actually gave it to a teacher to use in her classroom... she talks about bees etc in one of her curriculums.....