Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Southeastern Soon to Be Beekeeper  (Read 2367 times)

Offline RickLR

• New Bee
Southeastern Soon to Be Beekeeper
« on: February 18, 2011, 11:16:35 pm »
Hi,

My name is Rick, and I'm six days away from my fifty-second birthday . . . I'll be back in a bit after the depression fades from saying that.

Okay, I'm back!  My long-suffering wonderful wife of thirty-three years (come one month from tomorrow) has indulged me in jumping both feed forward into beekeeping.  I've ordered two complete hives and two packages of bees plus assorted accessories.  Hives and accessories should ship soon, bees will ship the end of April -- a late start, but I was late in deciding to go forward with this.

Work keeps me pretty busy, and this seemed a hobby I can fit around my schedule.  Mostly will only be able to work the bees on the weekend, but looking forward to to entering the hobby.

I've got about 764 questi-- no, make that 765 questions (just thought of another) and I'll be pestering you folks with those in the coming weeks, though searching through the web site has already knocked it down from the original 1,942 questions.

In any case, glad to be here!

Rick

PS: I made up the number of questions, but it's likely a lot.  :)

Offline hardwood

• Galactic Bee
  • Alysian Apiaries youtube.com/MrBeedude
Re: Southeastern Soon to Be Beekeeper
« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2011, 11:48:38 pm »
Welcome Rick!

Scott
"In the first place, we should insist that if the immigrant who comes here in good faith becomes an American and assimilates himself to us, he shall be treated on an exact equality with everyone else, for it is an outrage to discriminate against any such man because of creed, or birthplace, or origin. But this is predicated upon the person's becoming in every facet an American, and nothing but an American...There can be no divided allegiance here. Any man who says he is an American, but something else also, isn't an American at all. We have room for but one flag, the American flag...We have room for but one language here, and that is the English language...And we have room for but one sole loyalty and that is a loyalty to the American people."

Theodore Roosevelt 1907

Offline AllenF

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2011, 09:42:11 am »
Welcome to the forum.  Bring the questions.

Offline buzzbee

• Ken
  • Global Moderator
  • Galactic Bee
    • N Central Pa Beekeepers Facebook Page

Offline RickLR

• New Bee
« Reply #4 on: February 19, 2011, 10:37:21 pm »

Thanks for the welcome.  And, buzzbee, I had read the two threads you posted links for.  (Macon is actually closer to where I work than my house is to work, just in the opposite direction.)  So I had read when bud3 was and where bud3 was and who was attending bud3 . . . just hadn't seen anything that actually told me what bud3 was.  :)  Of course, I could have missed it.

Rick

Offline hardwood

• Galactic Bee
  • Alysian Apiaries youtube.com/MrBeedude
« Reply #5 on: February 19, 2011, 10:46:36 pm »
Bud3= "Beemaster's International Beekeeper Gathering...third year"

Always a blast!

Scott
"In the first place, we should insist that if the immigrant who comes here in good faith becomes an American and assimilates himself to us, he shall be treated on an exact equality with everyone else, for it is an outrage to discriminate against any such man because of creed, or birthplace, or origin. But this is predicated upon the person's becoming in every facet an American, and nothing but an American...There can be no divided allegiance here. Any man who says he is an American, but something else also, isn't an American at all. We have room for but one flag, the American flag...We have room for but one language here, and that is the English language...And we have room for but one sole loyalty and that is a loyalty to the American people."

Theodore Roosevelt 1907

Offline Bee Happy

• Super Bee
  • that's me - setting a phoenix free
« Reply #6 on: February 19, 2011, 11:49:05 pm »
...One question down.  :-D welcome aboard.
be happy and make others happy.

Offline buzzbee

• Ken
  • Global Moderator
  • Galactic Bee
    • N Central Pa Beekeepers Facebook Page
« Reply #7 on: February 20, 2011, 07:52:49 am »
Rick,
it's a pretty casual gathering of forum members meeting for the weekend to discuss bees,get some hands on on cutouts,good likelihood of swarm catching and a chance to ask quite a few seasoned beekeepers questions you may have about beekeeping. And the chance to get right in a hive to have your questions answered.Also a good chance to learn about the hive itself on the inside if you never had the chance.
It is also a great atmosphere just to get to know some of the other forum members ,relax  and enjoy some great food.

Here is a thread from last year:
http://forum.beemaster.com/index.php/topic,27677.0.html