Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Free bees  (Read 3202 times)

Anonymous

Free bees
« on: June 01, 2005, 10:32:34 pm »
Beth, some of you others may remember about this time last year I reported that I built a 5 frame nuc one afternoon and as soon as I got it finished, a swarm desended onto my 5ft Leland Cypress.  I could tell that they were looking for a home so I clipped the limb and dropped them in.  Well, I've had a more interesting happening this spring. After I cleaned my hive bodies and arranged my hives with the frames that I thought they needed I had two hive bodies and a few frames left over.  Since I didn't have room in my storeroom for the hives, I just put them out where I would put my next colony.  A few weeks later, I needed to get a pattern to make a standard frame so I went to the "stored" hive.  Guess what?  It was about a quarter full of bees.  Of course the girls had their own thoughts about where to build their comb and I had to back them up a little but they were doing well last Saturday.  I have found that luck counts in lots of things and it is a real suprise when they decide to live with me.  I usually have to go after them.  This is my third hive this year and I've finally found the queen in one of them.  I know that all three have queens because I see new larva everytime I inspect.

Offline Miss Chick-a-BEE

• House Bee
Free bees
« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2005, 10:21:49 am »
Well that's a fun surprize! They probably did make a mess of the mostly empty hive, but that's fixable. Congrats.

Beth

Offline thomashton

• House Bee
Free bees
« Reply #2 on: June 02, 2005, 11:01:36 am »
What a cool surprise!

Do you know where they're from? Any beekeepers close to you have a swarm recently? What about you, any recent swarms? Be interesting to know, but probably never will.
After 18 months of reading and preparation, my girls finally arrived on April 11th (2006)!

Offline bill

• House Bee
Free bees
« Reply #3 on: June 02, 2005, 03:47:11 pm »
I have been keeping a hive put together out the back but nothing has moved in yet.  You are just lucky
billiet

Offline drgenegarris

• New Bee
    • http://honeybees.drgarris.com
Random Swarming Catch
« Reply #4 on: June 02, 2005, 06:40:20 pm »
If you had a spare hive with 10 empty frames in it and you placed a lure into the hive body what are your random chances of having your box filled with bees?

This might be a fun experiment.  Has anyone done this?

Offline TwT

• Senior Forum
  • Galactic Bee
  • Ted
Free bees
« Reply #5 on: June 02, 2005, 08:45:48 pm »
NOW THATS GOOD LUCK

CONGRADS!!!
THAT's ME TO THE LEFT JUST 5 MONTHS FROM NOW!!!!!!!!

Never be afraid to try something new.
Amateurs built the ark,
Professionals built the Titanic

Offline Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
Free bees
« Reply #6 on: June 02, 2005, 11:53:49 pm »
Put some lemongrass oil in a old hive body with a top and bottom and tie it up in a tree.  I've haven't gotten any with them on the ground, but I have gotten them in the trees.
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin

anything