Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Once they get ready to swarm,can you stop them ?  (Read 2124 times)

Offline Joelel

• Field Bee
Once they get ready to swarm,can you stop them ?
« on: August 02, 2009, 11:20:14 am »
Once a hive gets ready to swarm for what ever reason ,can you stop them ? Like if they get ready to swarm from over crowding and start building swarm cells,can you add a supper and they will not swarm ? Or will making splits stop them ?
Acts2:37: Now when they heard this, they were pricked in their heart, and said unto Peter and to the rest of the apostles, Men and brethren, what shall we do?
38: Then Peter said unto them, Repent, and be baptized every one of you in the name of Jesus Christ for the remission of sins, and ye shall receive the gift of the Holy Ghost.
39: For the promise is unto you, and to your children, and to all that are afar off, even as many as the Lord our God shall call.
40: And with many other words did he testify and exhort, saying, Save yourselves from this untoward generation

Offline riverrat

• House Bee
Re: Once they get ready to swarm,can you stop them ?
« Reply #1 on: August 02, 2009, 12:15:29 pm »
once the hive has began the swarm impulse if you do not intervine they will swarm. Adding a super is not enough to stop them at that point. Once they have decided to swarm about the only way to stop them is to take measures to fooling them into thinking they have swarmed one is way is by doing a split.  I have read about moving part of the swarm cells and brood to the top of the hive with a deep and screened board between the lower brood then recombining with more room after the queen cells have hatched. havent tried this one so dont know much about it
never take the top off a hive on a day that you wouldn't want the roof taken off your house

Offline Joelel

• Field Bee
« Reply #2 on: August 02, 2009, 12:25:20 pm »
once the hive has began the swarm impulse if you do not intervine they will swarm. Adding a super is not enough to stop them at that point. Once they have decided to swarm about the only way to stop them is to take measures to fooling them into thinking they have swarmed one is way is by doing a split.  I have read about moving part of the swarm cells and brood to the top of the hive with a deep and screened board between the lower brood then recombining with more room after the queen cells have hatched. havent tried this one so dont know much about it

So,it's natural or nature for them to swarm and make new hives ?
Acts2:37: Now when they heard this, they were pricked in their heart, and said unto Peter and to the rest of the apostles, Men and brethren, what shall we do?
38: Then Peter said unto them, Repent, and be baptized every one of you in the name of Jesus Christ for the remission of sins, and ye shall receive the gift of the Holy Ghost.
39: For the promise is unto you, and to your children, and to all that are afar off, even as many as the Lord our God shall call.
40: And with many other words did he testify and exhort, saying, Save yourselves from this untoward generation

Offline BearCountry

• New Bee
« Reply #3 on: August 02, 2009, 12:41:39 pm »
Absolutely it is natural, most healthy hives if left to themselves will probably swarm at least once, even twice a year.  I dont plan to bother stopping swarms once they have made up their minds to do so.  I'd rather just collect a couple of those new queen cells and start a whole new hive or two, especially if I cant grab the swarm.

Offline JP

• The Swarm King
  • Universal Bee
  • I like doing cut-outs, but I love catching swarms!
    • JPthebeeman.com
« Reply #4 on: August 02, 2009, 12:42:45 pm »
yes, it is natural for healthy, booming hives to want to swarm, its nature's way of propagating the species.

Like Rat said, when their minds are made up, particularly when they've made swarm cells, you must intervene. Make splits, moving the mated queen into another set up, thus trying to fool them into thinking they've already swarmed, or you will lose a number, if not all the bees.

...JP
My Youtube page is titled JPthebeeman with hundreds of educational & entertaining videos.

My website JPthebeeman.com http://jpthebeeman.com

Offline TwT

• Senior Forum
  • Galactic Bee
  • Ted
« Reply #5 on: August 02, 2009, 12:58:59 pm »
yes, it is natural for healthy, booming hives to want to swarm, its nature's way of propagating the species.

Like Rat said, when their minds are made up, particularly when they've made swarm cells, you must intervene. Make splits, moving the mated queen into another set up, thus trying to fool them into thinking they've already swarmed, or you will lose a number, if not all the bees.

...JP

moving the old queen and a few frames of bee's will simulate a swarm and is a good way to save bee's from leaving and easy way to expand hive numbers...
THAT's ME TO THE LEFT JUST 5 MONTHS FROM NOW!!!!!!!!

Never be afraid to try something new.
Amateurs built the ark,
Professionals built the Titanic

Offline rast

• Field Bee
« Reply #6 on: August 02, 2009, 03:53:13 pm »
 Sometimes a hive swarming once can be a good thing. I had a hive that swarmed this spring that raised a very good layer. Temperament is what I consider normal. Used some brood and eggs from it about 30 minutes for a split. The walkaway split I did with it two months ago is doing well also. I want to use the genetics from this strain of bees  for grafting. Now if some sorry ol drones don't interfere.
Fools argue; wise men discuss.
    --Paramahansa Yogananda