Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Chicken coop questions  (Read 2754 times)

Offline jester7891

• House Bee
Chicken coop questions
« on: April 04, 2011, 09:20:26 am »
I built a new chicken coop for 3 birds (kit) that I have modified with wheels to move it around.  I live in the woods where there are lots of foxes, coyotes, raccoons etc so I have to build a closed off run.  I have extra PVC piping 1 inch (light but sturdy) that could be used as a frame with regular sturdy chicken wire around it. Will the varmints eat thru PVC or should I used wood?  Will the chickens pick at it? What specific type of wire would you use?
    Thanks,       John

Offline VolunteerK9

• Super Bee
  • Gamecock fan in UT land.
Re: Chicken coop questions
« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2011, 11:53:26 am »
Your plan should be fine, but I will tell you from experience that any determined critter will do whatever to get a free chicken dinner regardless of your security measures. Ive had them to chew through wire, tunnel under wire, and even pulled tin of the sides of cages. Your best bet is to keep the pen close to where you can keep an eye on things and if you were to hear something going a muck, go check on it.

Offline Brian D. Bray

• Heavenly Beekeeper
  • Heavenly Beekeeper
  • Galactic Bee
  • I really look like this, just ask Cindi.
    • http://spaces.msn.com/thecoonsden
Re: Chicken coop questions
« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2011, 10:32:52 pm »
Your plan should be fine, but I will tell you from experience that any determined critter will do whatever to get a free chicken dinner regardless of your security measures. Ive had them to chew through wire, tunnel under wire, and even pulled tin of the sides of cages. Your best bet is to keep the pen close to where you can keep an eye on things and if you were to hear something going a muck, go check on it.

Coyotes and Raccoons particularly.  Foxes and Coyotes will also dig under the netting.  If you're well away from your neighbors a 22 rifle is a good critter deterant.
Life is a school.  What have you learned?   :brian:      The greatest danger to our society is apathy, vote in every election!