Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: How close can entrances to hives be?  (Read 1823 times)

Offline Carol

• House Bee
    • critters and crawlers visiting or living in my back yard
How close can entrances to hives be?
« on: December 11, 2013, 09:24:05 pm »
I have an 8 ft hive stand. On it are two Lang's hives...one at each end. I just put the TBH in the middle with a center entrance. There are no bees in the TBH at this time...so I can remove it or extend the ends of the stand at least 8 inches on either end for more space if necessary.

So far, I have been able to keep the big red ants off this stand....that is why I am trying to use this stand for all the hives.

Offline BeeDog

• House Bee
Re: How close can entrances to hives be?
« Reply #1 on: December 12, 2013, 10:03:11 am »
Cool langstroth and topbars at the same place. I want to try tbh too in the near future.
It is highly recommend that split be done with only strong healthy hives that have at least two Brood Chambers with Brood in all stages of development. Frames with capped Brood should be split evenly between the two hives.

Moots

« Reply #2 on: December 12, 2013, 10:24:05 am »
Carol,
Nice looking hives... :)

I've seen people with hives butted up against one another, I try to leave enough room between them to fit my hive tool comfortably so that when I'm trying to work one hive, I'm not jammed up by the one next to it.  In a perfect world, more spacing is better, but if you're trying to maximize the use of a stand, I'd say don't worry about it, you "may" get a little bee drift....but that's not really a big deal.

Offline merince

• House Bee
    • Maria's Bees
« Reply #3 on: December 12, 2013, 11:01:29 am »
I don't think you will have any issues since you painted your hives so nicely (looks awesome by the way!) - the patterns will give the bees something to orient to.

Offline Carol

• House Bee
    • critters and crawlers visiting or living in my back yard
« Reply #4 on: December 12, 2013, 11:21:42 am »
Thanks all....glad everyone thinks it is OK....did not think of the orienting thing when painting...but good idea.

Online Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
« Reply #5 on: December 12, 2013, 08:11:12 pm »
My hives are all touching...
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin

Offline danno

• Super Bee
« Reply #6 on: December 13, 2013, 08:52:19 am »
Mine are all on 4-way pallets w/ less then 1/2inch between them side to side and 2"s back to back

Offline gman

• New Bee
« Reply #7 on: December 14, 2013, 12:10:28 am »
When placing hives close together, drifting can be reduced by facing the entrances in different directions.

anything