Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: I have a second hive and a big thank you to Ray Marler  (Read 8494 times)

Offline annette

• Galactic Bee
I have a second hive and a big thank you to Ray Marler
« on: March 27, 2009, 02:53:43 pm »

Well dear people I had a great experience the other evening which I want to share. An elderly beekeeper I was in touch with for several years recently passed away. His wife called me and asked if I wanted to take his remaining hive. I really wanted this hive not just for me, but to comfort the women. I knew she would be happy if I took her husbands hive.

Well I mentioned this in the chat room one evening and Ray Marler came forth and offered to help move the hive for me.  Ray lives in Sacramento which is about 45 minutes from my home in Placerville. We met last night at the womens home and Ray came with his huge diesel flat bed truck and a warm and wonderful smile. It was quite a process to get this hive onto the truck, strapped down, etc. 

First Ray went through the hive to make sure it was healthy before we went to all the trouble. It sounded great when it was opened up, that wonderful humming sound of a happy hive and looked to be a fine beehive. We placed a few frames of honey in to make sure they had enough to eat until I can do a more thorough inspection.

It all went very smoothly and by the time we got to my apiary site it was very dark. Ray has such a wonderful attitude and made the whole experience so much fun even though we could hardly see anything. He is extremely confident and has a thorough knowledge of beekeeping, which made me feel more secure. Also for all the women beekeepers on this forum you need to know that Ray is quite a good looking guy.

Ray gave me good advice on transitioning the full size deep into a medium, which I will do in about a week.

Thank you Ray for being there for me and making it such an adventure.

Sincerely
Annette

Offline RayMarler

• Field Bee
Re: I have a second hive and a big thank you to Ray Marler
« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2009, 04:08:29 pm »
Hi Annette!
You are very welcome, it was my pleasure to meet you and get away from the house here for a nice ride up to the foothills. You're new hive is very calm and seems to be of good strength, I think it will be a great addition to your apiary. I just want you to know that it was my great pleasure to be able to help you get your new hive.   :-D

Annette is a very wonderful and cheerful person and it was my pleasure to meet her and be able to help her, although she now has me blushing with all the going on about my good looks and personality! :roll:

Offline SlickMick

• Field Bee
« Reply #2 on: March 27, 2009, 05:24:22 pm »
Isn't it wonderful when people take the time and effort to help others. Well done to the both of you

Mick

Offline Keith13

• Super Bee
« Reply #3 on: March 27, 2009, 05:50:32 pm »
Always good to see members helping each other out, good job all around

Keith

Offline beemaster

• Site Founder
  • Administrator
  • Galactic Bee
  • It is my pleasure to bring the forums to you.
    • http://www.beemaster.com
« Reply #4 on: March 27, 2009, 07:16:00 pm »
Great Post Annette, great job Ray - makes a guy all fuzzy inside :)

I remember when Annette use to brag about this handsome studly dude,
http://forum.beemaster.com/index.php?action=dlattach;attach=405;type=avatar

now she's rating all the men of the forum for the ladies :devilbanana:

Just kidding of course - great work on all's part!!!!

NJBeemaster my YOUTUBE Video Collection

Please enjoy the forum, and if it has helped you in any way, we hope that a small donation can be made to support our FULLY member supported forum. You will never see advertisements here, and that is because of the generous members who have made our forum possible. We are in our second decade as a beekeeping forum and all thanks to member support. At the top right of every page is a donations link. Please help if you can.

Offline Gunslinger

• New Bee
« Reply #5 on: March 27, 2009, 08:55:59 pm »
Its nice to hear that there are still people that will take the time to help out others.
Cheers RayMarler!

Offline MacfromNS

• House Bee
« Reply #6 on: March 27, 2009, 09:50:35 pm »
Its nice to hear that there are still people that will take the time to help out others.
Cheers RayMarler!
Yes it is, but we have a lot on this forum that does that.
The most beautiful thing is to see a person smiling.
And even more beautiful is knowing that you are the reason behind it!!!
Mac

Offline Irwin

• Super Bee
  • howdy all
« Reply #7 on: March 28, 2009, 09:58:26 am »
That's great and good on you Ray Marler. It's people like you that make this form better then the rest :-D Annette the lady know's that the bee's will have a good home with you.
Fight organized crime!  Re-elect no one.

Offline BjornBee

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #8 on: March 28, 2009, 10:03:42 am »
Hey Ray...my phone number is 717-9......  :needhelp:

A great story and great people.

www.bjornapiaries.com
www.pennapic.org
Please Support "National Honey Bee Day"
Northern States Queen Breeders Assoc.  www.nsqba.com

Offline Robo

• Technical
  • Administrator
  • Galactic Bee
  • Beekeep On!
    • Bushkill Bee Vac
« Reply #9 on: March 28, 2009, 10:39:33 am »
Hey Ray,

Did she let you hold the umbrella?  If so, JP is REALLY jealous now :devilbanana:
"Opportunity is missed by most people because it comes dressed in overalls and looks like work." - Thomas Edison

Offline RayMarler

• Field Bee
« Reply #10 on: March 28, 2009, 12:10:22 pm »
Bjorn writes...
Hey Ray...my phone number is 717-9...

Hey Bjorn, I'm planning on calling you, I need help!!!   I need one of your nice hygenic mite resistant queens that you raise in a couple/three months.  I know it's still early there and I still need to get bees arranged to accept a queen here.

Beeks are the best Peeps I know, we are the most willing to help bunch I've met in my life. Keep up the good work spreading the help around. I'm heading out across town in a different direction today to help someone out in a couple hours. Hope you all have a great day!

Offline annette

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #11 on: March 28, 2009, 05:54:17 pm »
Hey Ray,

Did she let you hold the umbrella?  If so, JP is REALLY jealous now :devilbanana:

I thought about bringing the umbrella to the meeting with Ray, but you are absolutely correct. Only JP can touch that umbrella :shock: :shock:

Offline annette

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #12 on: March 28, 2009, 05:56:11 pm »
That's great and good on you Ray Marler. It's people like you that make this form better then the rest :-D Annette the lady know's that the bee's will have a good home with you.

Thank you Irwin. Yes she is grieving so much right now. Boy oh boy her husband was the sweetest man ever and I just love having his bees. They are strong and doing really great. They look so, so happy up on my property.

Offline annette

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #13 on: March 28, 2009, 06:00:06 pm »
Great Post Annette, great job Ray - makes a guy all fuzzy inside :)

I remember when Annette use to brag about this handsome studly dude,
http://forum.beemaster.com/index.php?action=dlattach;attach=405;type=avatar

now she's rating all the men of the forum for the ladies :devilbanana:

Just kidding of course - great work on all's part!!!!

I never stop bragging about you my dear one!!!!

:rainbowflower: :rainbowflower: :rainbowflower:

But you know I have the feeling that most of the members here on this forum would have come forth and helped if they could. It would be like a barn building affair. We would be a group of members going from place to place helping each other. What fun!!

Offline beemaster

• Site Founder
  • Administrator
  • Galactic Bee
  • It is my pleasure to bring the forums to you.
    • http://www.beemaster.com
« Reply #14 on: March 28, 2009, 08:31:01 pm »
Now you went and did it Annette:

I have thought of all the help that members have given others here over the years, and some are simple things like donating an old smoker or hive tool, to giving a newbee a good and healthy hive to get them started, to going hundred and (look at Geoff) tens of thousands of miles to meet other members.

I have belonged to many forums over the years, old newsgroup ones before today's modern forums were around, etc., and I can honestly say that except for the massive forums, sponsored by huge companies like Camping World, etc., I never remember seeing such a great interaction and helpful attitude as we have here. I can only wish other forums would stretch out and go that extra mile to make such differences in other peoples lives.

I remember Big Rog, some of you old-time members may too - He was the FIRST MEMBER I ever met, he came here, spent the night in my motorhome and the next day we packed up "The swarm that found me" two posts I need to find links too. But anyway, Roger hadn't had a bee and just had some minimal equipment, but he had no fear of honeybees. We did a really amazing job of using 1"x4" boards screwed in all sides and screened in the top for great ventilation and he took it home to Richmond, VA about 6 hour ride in the front seat next to him.

It was one of those weird moments, where Rog had been a moderator (can't remember if before or after then) but he was really impressed at me in shorts and teeshirt prepping the hive for the journey, it gave him confidence seeing that it really can be that simple to work with bees.

It was also strange, because we all know that us humans tend to build a picture in our minds of how someone looks if we never met them before - Rog and I had talked on the phone and I had a real idea of his conservative beliefs, then I met him - about 6'3", well bit with a bit of a belly and hair nearly down to hit butt - it was an interesting combo, especially in his tie dyed shirt and purposely mutilated jeans, he looked as opposite as you can imagine a conservative should look.

We had a blast that night and following morning, he was returning from his Brother's home in Long Island, so I wasn't too far out of the way - plus (and though I find it silly) he was excited to have a hive from BEEMASTER  :roll: There sure isn't any celebrity status about running a forum, it is something I take pride in, but surely nothing beyond pride. Rog though was ecstatic about it all.

Soon after (about 6 or so months) Rog kinda disappeared from the Earth, nothing in email or PMS, no posts and I wrote him regular mail and made many phone calls - I have a sad feeling that something happened to Rog, he was seriously depressed after losing his Mother and I don't think he recovered well from that. Of anything ever to happen in the forum, it is the fate of BigRog I most often think of.

I guess my point is, if given a chance to meet up with members, please do so. Opportunities are sometimes a single possibility, Geoff may never return to the US from Australia, but I would love it if and when he does, and I missed an opportunity to meet Understudy (Brendhan) when he was only about 40 miles away, but NOW I will be seeing him, likely during the whole drive to and from Bud1's house during the up and coming gathering of the Southern Beemaster Members - he may ride there with PDMattox and me - that's a 6 hour ride up to PDMattox's, then another 9 hours to Buds, so I really get to make up for missing Brendhan the first time. But sometimes such a chance to meet up again may not happen, so I'm making efforts to meet all the members I can as time and finances allow.

I hope to someday make it to the West Coast, one of the places I hope to see in my life is the Ronald Reagan Presidential Museum, and if that day happens, or any chance to get to the West Coast comes, I will surely meet up with as many of you as possible.

So, take the bulls by the horns, if you can wing it and host a casual gathering of members in your area - I hope you do. As well as, if you see on occurring, do your best to meet up and bring a camera, we all like to see these gathering even if it is just the story and not captured with photos and videos.

So Annette, meeting Ray was another milestone for the forum - every meeting is a magical moment allowing us all to better know the other people on their sides of the keyboards. It's an awesome thing really, and next month I'll have about a dozen new members I can add to my own list, and that is just a neat thing that makes how our members go beyond posting to becoming friends to people they may have never met otherwise.

NJBeemaster my YOUTUBE Video Collection

Please enjoy the forum, and if it has helped you in any way, we hope that a small donation can be made to support our FULLY member supported forum. You will never see advertisements here, and that is because of the generous members who have made our forum possible. We are in our second decade as a beekeeping forum and all thanks to member support. At the top right of every page is a donations link. Please help if you can.

Offline Rex

• House Bee
« Reply #15 on: March 29, 2009, 05:02:16 pm »
Very nice :)

I have had the pleasure of meeting Annette once briefly at the County Fair bee booth, and Ray is a frequent attendee and presenter at the local Bee Association meetings.  Both are classy, knowledgeable, and just basically terrific people.

I'm glad you got your second hive, Annette!

Offline annette

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #16 on: March 29, 2009, 09:33:36 pm »
Very nice :)

I have had the pleasure of meeting Annette once briefly at the County Fair bee booth, and Ray is a frequent attendee and presenter at the local Bee Association meetings.  Both are classy, knowledgeable, and just basically terrific people.

I'm glad you got your second hive, Annette!

Rex

OH what a nice thing you are saying about me. I was very happy to meet you as well at the Fair. Hope things are going good for you and the bees.

Take care
Annette

Offline Geoff

• Heavenly Beekeeper
  • Field Bee
« Reply #17 on: March 30, 2009, 06:54:47 am »
              Sorry I missed Placerville last year Annette. Don't know if I would like to know how you would have rated me against all the illustrious ones on the forum.
              Spent the night in the car alongside the lake at Moccasin and then had breakfast at the Big Oak Flat roadhouse on the way into Yosemite. Awoke frozen stiff and had intended to drive on through Tioga Pass but they had 4 feet of snow overnight so had to retrace my tracks back out of the park. Back on the flat country tossed up wether to go north or south and south won so finished up travelling through Barstow, Las Vegas and Salt Lake City to the east coast. Maybe next time Annette. Still working on the 25th. April at Macon John, you just never know.
              Still dreaming and thinking of all the places I did not get to see.
               If it wasn't Ray Marler Annette I am sure it would have been someone else.
Local Area Network in Australia - the LAN down under.

Offline JP

• The Swarm King
  • Universal Bee
  • I like doing cut-outs, but I love catching swarms!
    • JPthebeeman.com
« Reply #18 on: March 30, 2009, 09:30:49 am »
Hey Ray,

I thought about bringing the umbrella to the meeting with Ray, but you are absolutely correct. Only JP can touch that umbrella :shock: :shock:

Annette, you must let Ray touch and even hold your magical, one of a kind, red umbrella. He earned the right when he helped you.

Thanks Ray for helping our girl out, you did a really good thing, and you of course prevented her from having to lift that hive herself.

God forbid, she may have broken a nail and we can't have that right Annette? ;)

...JP
My Youtube page is titled JPthebeeman with hundreds of educational & entertaining videos.

My website JPthebeeman.com http://jpthebeeman.com

Offline DayValleyDahlias

• Super Bee
    • DayValleyDahlia's Blog
« Reply #19 on: March 30, 2009, 12:02:54 pm »
Wow, lucky girl!

I have had to trouble shoot and do all the bee stuff quite alone! 

Can't wait to hear more about the new colony!