Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: June Rant - Is your township next?  (Read 2309 times)

Offline BjornBee

• Galactic Bee
June Rant - Is your township next?
« on: June 27, 2011, 10:58:45 pm »
Here is a particular problem spreading across Pennsylvania.

Read the latest rant for June 2011.

http://www.bjornapiaries.com/beekramblings2011.html

Comments appreciated.

Hope you enjoy!  ;)
www.bjornapiaries.com
www.pennapic.org
Please Support "National Honey Bee Day"
Northern States Queen Breeders Assoc.  www.nsqba.com

Offline buzzbee

• Ken
  • Global Moderator
  • Galactic Bee
    • N Central Pa Beekeepers Facebook Page
Re: June Rant - Is your township next?
« Reply #1 on: June 27, 2011, 11:34:42 pm »
Sadly there is precedent with State and local taxes.But you have a valid point. This is where the problem lies with townships having "nuisance" laws where a nuisance is left to be determined by the current Boards of Supervisors. As long as managed bees are an agricultural item,they should not be considered pests.

Offline iddee

• Universal Bee
« Reply #2 on: June 27, 2011, 11:38:01 pm »
Yes, it's another double taxation. They are very popular these days.
Federal income tax, state income tax
County property tax, city property tax
State sales tax, county sales tax, city sales tax
state vehicle registration, city vehicle registration

ETC>    ETC>    ETC>     ETC>
"Listen to the mustn'ts, child. Listen to the don'ts. Listen to the shouldn'ts, the impossibles, the won'ts. Listen to the never haves, then listen close to me . . . Anything can happen, child. Anything can be"

*Shel Silverstein*

Offline indypartridge

• Queen Bee
« Reply #3 on: June 28, 2011, 08:42:33 am »
I just mailed in my dog tax last week. $5 per dog. The incentive to pay the dog tax comes from the $100 fine per dog if you don't pay. And you have to provide the rabies tag numbers to verify that your dog is current on all required shots....

But living in Indiana, I shouldn't complain, we're considered one of the most "free" states, unlike Pennsylvania which is ranked 31st:
http://mercatus.org/freedom-50-states-2011

Offline BjornBee

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #4 on: June 28, 2011, 11:28:18 am »
I don't mind registering.

But I have a problem with multiple level registration, bloated bureaucracy, and double taxation. This country is in the mist of a debt crisis, partly due to bloated regulation, excessive oversight, and laws on the books that require positions to be filled that have no apparent value or justification. But when you get down to the local level and the costs involved in such things as over regulating bees as a hobby, and even as they have in some township....grass monitors to make sure you cut your grass, than it all adds to the problem at hand.

As mentioned in the article, if you register your dog with the local authorities, are you still required to register the same dog with the state? I don't know myself. I don't have a dog. But I'm guessing there is one registration for dogs, yet beekeeping is being hit at least twice. State and local registration. Three times if your big enough to pay the crappy extra tax on each pound of honey you produce, and pay the national honey board.

Nuisance laws by the way, are there for a means for dispute settlement after there is a problem. It now seems that these laws are being used by the authorities to charge extra, prior to any problems, and keep folks employed. They say they must make the rounds and ensure the beehive is properly kept. Folks have no problem with it seems. But I bet they would be angered by the same rational and justification for the "grass patrol" to not only make periodic visits, but charge a fee for every homeowner who has a lawn. Afterall, most townships have regulations in regards to lawn maintenance and grass height. This is due to rodent and pest issues. You know....your safety is their interest!  But they don't charge a fee to enforce the law, have inspectors, or justify tramping on homeowners prior to a problem being raised. But beekeeper get screwed by the same logic being applied.
www.bjornapiaries.com
www.pennapic.org
Please Support "National Honey Bee Day"
Northern States Queen Breeders Assoc.  www.nsqba.com

Offline Brian D. Bray

• Heavenly Beekeeper
  • Heavenly Beekeeper
  • Galactic Bee
  • I really look like this, just ask Cindi.
    • http://spaces.msn.com/thecoonsden
« Reply #5 on: June 28, 2011, 09:22:04 pm »
I like the topics of your rants, all are valid concerns.
Fees vary from place to place, from jusidiction to jurisdiction.  Here in Washington the fee rate is based upon hive count, since I maintain 5 hives (not sufficient forage to support more-another of your rants) I pay a $5 annual fee to the state.  If I hadded one more hive I would have to pay $10 per year up to a maximum fee of $300 as a broker or commercial beekeeper.  The only options lesser jurisdictions have is to the regulation of numbers per lot size through zoning actions.  Having an acre and a half I could have as many as 12 hives under the city ordinance.  Some older buildings with minimum lot sizes of 25X75 feet are not allowed to have any as there is not sufficient set backs remaining between house and property lines.

Even if a township could legally impose a fee, which is doubtful because a township cannot regulate an agricultural industry other than through zoning, they would then undertake a responsibility to monitor the activities of the permit holder to insure publilc saftey.  This is based upon the same authority as impossing a dog control ordinance, which requires the creation of a dog catcher or animal control agenct as part of the city code inforcement.  The implication then is that the codified bee restrictions would of necessity be deligated to such animal control agency.  I don't see the code enforcement agent willing taking on regulation of beekeeping since that "title" is generally reserved for building, construction, and variance inforcement.  Again, leaving the animal control agent the code enforcer where bees are concerned.

The problem with attempting to require the city to fulfill its legal resiproscity of inspection as a responsibility of permiting is that the knee jerk reaction is such that enactment of an outright ban is the most probable outcome.

Faced with government, at all levels, wanting to enact more taxes, just to maintain basic services, in this time of economic dearth, it is best for beekeepers, through their clubs and associations, to develop a recommended ordinance that all beekeepers can live with.  It's really your only defense against further intrusions by government.
Life is a school.  What have you learned?   :brian:      The greatest danger to our society is apathy, vote in every election!

Offline AllenF

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #6 on: June 28, 2011, 10:09:15 pm »
Another good rant.   I am glad to be here in Georgia.   No regulations on bees telling you where you can keep them or taxing your bees. 

Offline wayne

• House Bee
« Reply #7 on: June 28, 2011, 11:02:13 pm »
  Our County seems to have dodged a bullet this year. They are writing a new zoning ordinance and it had a beekeeping section that limited hives and locations.
  Someone  :roll: posted the pending rules on a few sites and after some phone calls they struck the language.
I was born about 100 years too early, or to late.

Offline kingbee

• Queen Bee
« Reply #8 on: June 29, 2011, 04:55:04 am »
... They are [were] writing a new zoning ordinance and it had a

beekeeping section that limited hives and locations... Someone posted the pending rules ...and after some phone calls they struck the language.

It will be back, don't fool yourself.  The price of freedom is eternal vigilance.  Have a beekeeper attend every Township or county meeting and read every proposed rule change.  This will return.

Offline NJClydeDriver

• New Bee
« Reply #9 on: June 30, 2011, 04:07:36 pm »
I registered my small number (3) hives with the county and they actually took the time to call and tell me about night time mosquito spraying on the other side of the township, a day ahead of time so we could take action if needed, so for now it is good and no fee for this.  But it will only bee a short time till NJ sees the loophole and sticks us with another tax to get them more money...
"To succeed, jump as quickly at opportunities as you do at conclusions"
Ben Franklin

Offline skatesailor

• House Bee
« Reply #10 on: June 30, 2011, 07:40:41 pm »
It might be time to check your "Right to Farm "laws.  They won't help the suburban beekeeper but might protect those in ag districts.