Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Varroa treatment  (Read 1570 times)

Offline Nyleve

• House Bee
Varroa treatment
« on: July 10, 2016, 01:55:09 pm »
So I think I saw varroa mites crawling around amid the debris on the board below the screened bottom of my hive. Very minute, brownish. I've never seen them alive before so this was new to me.

Anyway, I guess I need to treat. This is a new colony, started from a nuc at the end of May. They're doing well, two deep brood boxes full of everything with drawn comb. I put a honey super on with new foundation a week ago but they haven't started drawing the comb yet. Is this an ok time to treat? It's been very hot here - central Ontario - so maybe I should wait until it cools off?

Advice would be appreciated.

Offline GSF

• Galactic Bee
Re: Varroa treatment
« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2016, 04:33:18 pm »
Don't treat and use the honey to eat. I'm not familiar with your seasons as to their length. I usually treat in August with the Oxalic Acid Vaporizer. Once a week for 3 or 4 weeks.  The first cool snap we'll have usually hits around the end of October. Cool snap meaning lows in the 40-50s at night. Of course the day temp will be great then. 
When the law no longer protects you from the corrupt, but protects the corrupt from you - then you know your nation is doomed.

Offline Nugget Shooter

• House Bee
    • Nugget Shooter
« Reply #2 on: July 10, 2016, 06:55:47 pm »
I had my first go with them in may and did 3 treatments over 3 weeks with OAV and have not seen a mite in the SBB debris again since so their numbers must be knocked back pretty well. these were package bees from MO and interestingly my 2 feral hives from my general area have shown none since getting them established. Good luck getting them under control....
Learning to manage without meddling...

Offline Nyleve

• House Bee
« Reply #3 on: July 10, 2016, 10:27:35 pm »
So after some serious googling, it is possible that what I mostly saw were tiny spider mites, which are not a problem. I may have seen one actual varroa mite. I think I'll set a sticky board on the bottom and see what turns up in the next few days. If I don't have to treat, I would rather not. I did take a fairly poor video with my phone of what I saw but I don't think I can post it here, can I?

Offline Nugget Shooter

• House Bee
    • Nugget Shooter
« Reply #4 on: July 10, 2016, 11:38:34 pm »
There are many species of spider mites and in many colors and yes it could be. The body of Varroa is large and legs look small where as a spider mite will have longer legs in most cases and smaller body. Most if not all should not be a problem for your bees I would think....
Learning to manage without meddling...

Online Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
« Reply #5 on: July 11, 2016, 10:22:01 am »
You've always had Varroa.  You always will have Varroa.  Seeing one does not change anything.  Have you tried to measure the infestation rate of the Varroa?
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin

Offline Nyleve

• House Bee
« Reply #6 on: July 11, 2016, 06:18:18 pm »
Not yet. I will put down a sticky board and see if I can get a count.

Offline Caribou

• House Bee
« Reply #7 on: July 12, 2016, 04:07:32 pm »
I am not aware of a particular varoa problem.  My plan is to cage my queens in about two weeks and harvest three weeks after that.  This should empty the cells of any brood before harvest and as a bonus cut the varoa off at the knees.
Good judgement comes from experience.  Experience comes from poor judgement.

Offline GSF

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #8 on: July 13, 2016, 08:22:07 am »
Caribou, you probably ain't got long to cold weather do you? I would think one of those push in cages might be better. I'm only guessing, but once she's confined and can't lay, wouldn't that set back your winter build up?

Hopefully some of our cold weather beeks can comment on this.
When the law no longer protects you from the corrupt, but protects the corrupt from you - then you know your nation is doomed.