Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: The queen honey bee - the new official insect in Alabama?  (Read 5398 times)

Offline eivindm

• Global Moderator
  • Field Bee
    • Eivind's page
The queen honey bee - the new official insect in Alabama?
« on: February 22, 2005, 07:14:32 am »
Just read this, and thought is was funny :-)  Glad they appreciate the bees :-)

MONTGOMERY - The monarch butterfly could be toppled from its Alabama throne by the queen honey bee.

The monarch butterfly has reigned as the state's official insect since 1989.
But state Rep. Sue Schmitz, D-Toney, has filed a bill to make the queen honey bee Alabama's official insect, replacing the monarch butterfly.

The article can be found here

Offline Ed M.

• New Bee
    • http://www.honeybeekeeping.com
« Reply #1 on: March 31, 2005, 04:57:53 pm »
This link will take you to a page that gives all kinds of State information including State insects. There are a number of states that have the honey bee as the State Insect

http://www.netstate.com/states/tables/state_insects.htm
I used to have a handle on life but I've lost my grip.
http://www.honeybeekeeping.com

Offline Kris^

• Field Bee
« Reply #2 on: April 01, 2005, 12:04:10 am »
Quote from: Ed M.
There are a number of states that have the honey bee as the State Insect

Including New Jersey.  But NJ is unique in one respect -- we have a state demon!  (the Jersey Devil)

-- Kris

Offline Ed M.

• New Bee
    • http://www.honeybeekeeping.com
« Reply #3 on: April 01, 2005, 08:07:15 am »
Quote from: Kris^

Including New Jersey.  But NJ is unique in one respect -- we have a state demon!  (the Jersey Devil)

-- Kris

The creature is believed to be the unwanted thirteenth child of Mother Leeds. According to those in the know, Mother Leeds, before the birth of her thirteenth child, declared that she wished the Devil would take the child away after it was born. At birth, the child suddenly changed into the ugliest of creatures and flew away into the vast darkness of the Pinelands. It is reported that the Jersey Devil inhabits the eery and misty wetland areas of the region, venturing out into the woodlands at night seeking humans to scare away with his piercing screams and grotesque appearance.
I used to have a handle on life but I've lost my grip.
http://www.honeybeekeeping.com

Offline Horns Pure Honey

• House Bee
« Reply #4 on: April 06, 2005, 09:57:37 pm »
I saw 15 states had the honeybee in there some how, bye :D
Ryan Horn

Offline thomashton

• House Bee
« Reply #5 on: April 14, 2006, 07:43:11 pm »
Quote from: Kris^

-- Kris

The creature is believed to be the unwanted thirteenth child of Mother Leeds. According to those in the know, Mother Leeds, before the birth of her thirteenth child, declared that she wished the Devil would take the child away after it was born. At birth, the child suddenly changed into the ugliest of creatures and flew away into the vast darkness of the Pinelands. It is reported that the Jersey Devil inhabits the eery and misty wetland areas of the region, venturing out into the woodlands at night seeking humans to scare away with his piercing screams and grotesque appearance.

There is actually an X-Files episode featuring Mulder and Scully chasing the Jersey Devil. It is mostly Mulder doing the chasing of course. Now, you know what a geek I am.
After 18 months of reading and preparation, my girls finally arrived on April 11th (2006)!

Offline thomashton

• House Bee
« Reply #6 on: April 14, 2006, 07:46:54 pm »
This link will take you to a page that gives all kinds of State information including State insects. There are a number of states that have the honey bee as the State Insect

http://www.netstate.com/states/tables/state_insects.htm

Utah may not have "officially" recognized the Honeybee as the state insect until '83, but it has been since like 1850 or so that the state (territory) has been associated with them.

The original name was the territory of Deseret which is a word believed to mean "honeybee". Also, look at the state flag and seal, there is a skep and the state slogan is "Industry", as the people of the state should and are as industrious as bees.

You'll see images of bees and skeps all over. It's a very bee-friendly state.
After 18 months of reading and preparation, my girls finally arrived on April 11th (2006)!

Offline KONASDAD

• Super Bee
« Reply #7 on: May 04, 2006, 05:24:19 pm »
Having grown up in Jersey devil territory, I have a personal theory about the legend. It is really a case of infanticide. Ms. Leeds was dirt poor, and had no ability to care for a thirteenth child. No other alternatives existed at the time. She kiled the child , and then creates a demonic creature to deflect suspicions. Just a thought.
"The more complex the Mind, the Greater the need for the simplicity of Play".

Offline keeper007

• House Bee
« Reply #8 on: July 07, 2006, 12:41:56 am »
Iowa has no state insect!!!! :(
"Suspect everyone, even those beyond suspicion"
-Steve Leopard/Cirque du Freak