Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Start feeding again?  (Read 1152 times)

Offline Tyro

• House Bee
Start feeding again?
« on: October 14, 2009, 09:57:51 am »
For the past 10-14 days, winter has been here in ND (daytime temps in the 30's/low 40s, nighttime temps in single digits, SNOW!).  I wrapped my hives, the bees stopped taking syrup two weeks ago and (at least in my strongest hives) had formed their winter clusters.

Now, the forecast looks like it is going to be mild for a couple of weeks (highs in the 50's/low 60s, lows just above freezing).  I have a couple of hives that I would feel better about if they had more stores.  Should I start feeding again?  Should I unwrap?  How do bees respond to crazy weather fluctuations like this just before winter?

Thanks for replies

Mike

Offline danno

• Super Bee
Re: Start feeding again?
« Reply #1 on: October 14, 2009, 10:09:25 am »
They not only need the time to take the syrup but need time to reduce the moisture in it. personnally i think you would be better off with candy boards this late in the year

Offline Robo

• Technical
  • Administrator
  • Galactic Bee
  • Beekeep On!
    • Bushkill Bee Vac
Re: Start feeding again?
« Reply #2 on: October 14, 2009, 10:10:32 am »
If it were me, I wouldn't be feeding any more syrup.  If you want to set them up with dry sugar, candy or Fondant, then yes,  use the warm spell to do it.
"Opportunity is missed by most people because it comes dressed in overalls and looks like work." - Thomas Edison