Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Turkey beats up on a chicken!!!  (Read 3061 times)

Offline Cindi

• Galactic Bee
Turkey beats up on a chicken!!!
« on: April 22, 2008, 09:57:37 am »
Richard is being a bad boy.  Yesterday I saw him peck at two of the Australorps, they are black.  He hasn't bugged any of the other girls yet, but he doesn't like Antonio, the Rhode Island Red rooster either.  I wonder if he has a think against dark coloured birds.

He actually pecked off part of the combs on both the black Austrlorps and made them bleed.  I kept my eye on him. 

Now I am wondering if he is getting really protective of his babies that are going to be hatching out pretty sooon.

Do turkeys and chickens not live happily together in the same yards when the young babies are born?  I am new to turkeys so don't have a clue what to expect with the protection role.  I may have to segregate the turkeys from the chickens, but I need to know if this will be necessary.

P.S. This is a question, needs an answer, in case no one figured that out, hee, hee, smiling, and have that beautiful and most wonderful day, groovy life we live.  Cindi
There are strange things done in the midnight sun by the men who moil for gold.  The Arctic trails have their secret tales that would make your blood run cold.  The Northern Lights have seen queer sights, but the queerest they ever did see, what the night on the marge of Lake Lebarge, I cremated Sam McGee.  Robert Service

Offline Angi_H

• House Bee
Re: Turkey beats up on a chicken!!!
« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2008, 04:20:39 am »
My turkeys have always hatched out babies with the chickens. Actually my turkey hen had a chicken helper. They also helped raise the poults. Toms get protectave and they can also hurt the poults if allowed to sometimes other times it is not a problem. I had a problem with one tom and he went in the freezer. But other I have had has helped with the babies and were protective of the turkey and chicken hens when they had babies. Keep a sharp eye on him when the poults hatch. So you know how he is going to react. Those hens will protect there babies also.

Angi

Angi

Offline Cindi

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #2 on: April 23, 2008, 09:03:24 am »
Angi, thank you for the words of advice.  I will keep an eye on that dude.  He will have two hens to contend with if he decides that he is going to be a bad dude.  Hopefully, they will protect the babies if he is a baddy, we'll see, only time can tell that tale, but I will watch closely.  Have the most beautiful and wonderful day, Cindi
There are strange things done in the midnight sun by the men who moil for gold.  The Arctic trails have their secret tales that would make your blood run cold.  The Northern Lights have seen queer sights, but the queerest they ever did see, what the night on the marge of Lake Lebarge, I cremated Sam McGee.  Robert Service

Offline JP

• The Swarm King
  • Universal Bee
  • I like doing cut-outs, but I love catching swarms!
    • JPthebeeman.com
« Reply #3 on: April 23, 2008, 09:31:17 am »
He's probably just a Whoppo wannabe, I would keep one eye on him, the other on the roasting bag. Don't forget the onions!! :-*

...JP
My Youtube page is titled JPthebeeman with hundreds of educational & entertaining videos.

My website JPthebeeman.com http://jpthebeeman.com

Offline Cindi

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #4 on: April 23, 2008, 09:56:57 am »
 :) :) :)  Cindi

Offline HAB

• HEAVENLY BEEKEEPER
  • Field Bee
« Reply #5 on: April 24, 2008, 11:22:14 pm »
Had Turkeys on and off for years.  Here we have to keep them penned or the bobcats and dogs get them all.  If they can roam they usually behave, the hens are almost always fine, the Toms until they become mature then be careful. Had a two year old Tom that was just fine til one day he out of the blue jumped my then 60 year old mother.  He really worked on her.  That was the last Tom to over winter here.  When we want new turkeys we just buy them now. :)

Offline Angi_H

• House Bee
« Reply #6 on: April 25, 2008, 02:22:39 am »
Both of my toms are mature and they both have poults being hatched every week and have 100% fertality and hatch rates and they are still gentil and calm big boys. They come up to me and allow me to love on them and pet them. They think I am apart of there group. I bought one last month and he is going to the sale on sat because you walk into the pen and he runs away from you but the min you turn your back he runs after you and trys to flogg you. He got me way up on my mid back and thats it with a 4yo and a 7 yo I can not and will not have a mean bird around. There is also a white  Rock Rooster that is going to the sale sat as well because he will come running after you to flogg you. Nope not at my house.

Angi

anything