Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Cappings...extracting question.  (Read 1365 times)

Offline theriverhawk

• House Bee
    • Young Life of Shelby County, AL
Cappings...extracting question.
« on: June 26, 2013, 11:32:33 pm »
I've got a lot larger amount of cappings this year than before. I have not spun them in the past but instead let them drain in the uncapping tub and then just fed them back to the bees before melting. This year, I've got so many that they are clogging the drain on the uncapping tub.

Since I don't have one of those capping bags to use in the extractor, any suggestions as to what to use instead? Please don't suggest unless you have used it or are actually aware of someone that has used the suggestion successfully.

Thanks!!

Offline iddee

• Universal Bee
Re: Cappings...extracting question.
« Reply #1 on: June 26, 2013, 11:42:10 pm »
Not in the extractor, but I use 5 gallon paint strainer bags to strain my honey, including the cappings. They work well.
"Listen to the mustn'ts, child. Listen to the don'ts. Listen to the shouldn'ts, the impossibles, the won'ts. Listen to the never haves, then listen close to me . . . Anything can happen, child. Anything can be"

*Shel Silverstein*

Online BeeMaster2

• Administrator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #2 on: June 27, 2013, 12:12:39 am »
I also use the 5 gallon filter. I have a double stack of 2-5 gallon buckets with a filter in the top with  a metal grate between the top and bottom buckets. I use it to filter the honey and then I put the cappings in it and extract the honey from it. I extracted 42 gallons of honey from 9 hives this past weekend. Right now, the top bucket with the filter is filled to the top with cappings. About 3 gallons of honey came out of the wax. Tomorrow I will put the wax in my solar wax melter.
Jim
Democracy is 2 wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote.
Ben Franklin

Offline Kathyp

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #3 on: June 27, 2013, 12:37:37 am »
colander with a paint strainer under.  gets about everything.

you say they are clogging the drain on the uncapping tank. don't you have a rack above the drain to catch most of the stuff before it can get down there a clog things?  if not, you may have to devise something that will hold the capping back but let the honey drain. 

i know i'm breaking your posting instructions but i want to be sure that we are understanding you....+ i don't take instruction well  ;) 
Someone really ought to tell them that the world of Ayn Rand?s novel was not meant to be aspirational.