Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Difficult removal, any suggestions?  (Read 2630 times)

Offline beemused

• New Bee
Difficult removal, any suggestions?
« on: July 10, 2009, 02:49:03 pm »
I just inspected an unusual location for a colony that has to be removed. The colony has chosen a laid rock chimney flue. The home owner tried to start a fire in the fireplace but could not get it to draw. They have built comb near the top ( about 18 inches down) inside the tile liner.

After vacuuming as many bees off the comb as possible I will start removing comb. Having never had to lift comb vertically inside a tile I am thinking of any way to hold and raise the combs without crushing them and the brood. I am going to try a large vac (as opposed to the small one for the bee vac) to lift after cutting the comb free. Also will make a long handled pan with a large lower lip to try if the vac doesn't hold them.

All this will be done on a  steep metal roof so a platform is going to have to be made since there is no way to get a scaffold or man lift to the chimney.

If any of you have done a vertical removal in an extremely confined space, 8 X 12, don't hesitate to share.

Bruce
"Political correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end."

Offline Vibe

• House Bee
Re: Difficult removal, any suggestions?
« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2009, 02:59:24 pm »
How in the world did they manage to span that with no "Top Bar"? Which direction does it span? across 8" or 12"?
I would think that once you have one section of comb out you would be able to go under and "hook" the next ones - something like a slanted pan of some sort with a lip across the lower edge to keep it from sliding out. The first section you might use several bent wire hooks to slip past the comb and rotate 90° to get under the comb before cutting it.
Just from a purely mechanical standpoint.
The opinion of 10,000 men is of no value if none of them know anything about the subject.
- Marcus Aurelius -

Offline Grandma_DOG

• House Bee
  • Build it, and they will comb.
    • LearningBeekeeping
« Reply #2 on: July 10, 2009, 04:26:24 pm »
Dynamite and rebuild the chimney.  ;)

-mt
Here is my new book on Swarm Trapping at http://learningbeekeeping.com/beekeeping-articles/how-to-swarm-trap/ and follow me on youtube at OutOfaBlueSky

Offline G3farms

• Super Bee
« Reply #3 on: July 10, 2009, 05:19:18 pm »
don't feel bad, I have one of those to do also, three story house with steep roof, bees are about two foot down. I don't know how far down the comb goes and don't want to knock any down the chimney. The comb on these are also solid across the flue.
those hot bees will have you steppin and a fetchin like your heads on fire and your keister is a catchin!!!

Bees will be bees and do as they please!

Offline joker1656

• House Bee
« Reply #4 on: July 10, 2009, 05:24:07 pm »
Didn't Highlandsfreedom have one awhile back.  Seems he posted something about a chimney removal. 
"Fear not the night.  Fear that which walks the night.  I am that which walks the night, BUT only EVIL need fear me..."-Lt. Col. David Grossman

Offline wildbeekeeper

• House Bee
« Reply #5 on: July 17, 2009, 07:12:49 pm »
I did one last year but the comb not extended down about 18 inches down into the chimney it also extended up and they attached it to the chimney cap.  I removed the top part then just held onto the the top of the comb and cut the sldes.  I think maybe using a heavy wire similiar to a coat hanger and forming two hooks at the bottom......envision a triangle with the widest part at the bottom and a hook at each of the lower corners....lower it down "hook " the comb at the bottom edge then cut the sides.

Offline Kathyp

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #6 on: July 17, 2009, 07:18:36 pm »
any chance of pushing a line through it, attaching a chimney brush or something under, and lifting it all up?  you'll break a bunch and spill honey, but maybe you can get all the wax out?
Someone really ought to tell them that the world of Ayn Rand?s novel was not meant to be aspirational.

anything