Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Hello! Robber Bee question  (Read 1687 times)

Offline StephNeely

• Brood
Hello! Robber Bee question
« on: November 25, 2012, 12:19:55 pm »
Hello all!
I'm new here. I've been interested in bees my whole life pretty much. I've caught honeybees since I was little. One day I found a carpenter bee who couldn't fly and ever since, I've been taking in sick bees who can't fly. One day I'm planning on having a whole hive to myself so I figured I should get on a bee forum and have some support.

However, I have a question: The other day I found a bee on the sidewalk who couldn't fly. I felt sorry for the poor thing and took him home. It won't eat any of the honey I give it (it has really short antenna so idk how it tells what it's eating).

It's a robber bee. I tried to Google more info but there isn't much out there that I could find. Do you know if it's carnivorous or eats honey? He won't eat the honey I give him and he's been four or five days since I found him so he's starting to die of starvation (getting really slow and stuff).

If it's carnivorous I'm not sure I can bear to watch him eat another bug alive, so I may release him. But I'd like to know for sure. Any thoughts or suggestions?

Thanks!
-Steph

Offline AllenF

• Galactic Bee
Re: Hello! Robber Bee question
« Reply #1 on: November 25, 2012, 02:44:19 pm »
Where are you located at?   That would help us with what kind of bee it is.   We deal mostly with honey bees here.   

Offline Jeanette

• House Bee
Re: Hello! Robber Bee question
« Reply #2 on: December 01, 2012, 02:15:36 am »
Hi Steph and welcome to the forum.

If it is a honey bee, don't forget to provide it with water. Try a small bowl of water with a strip of fabric draped in the water and over the side. The fabric will suck up the water and allow the honey bee to drink without risk of drowning.

Honey bees are vegetarian, so they don't eat other bugs.
Jeanette

Offline aridostlari.com

• New Bee
  • www.aridostlari.com
    • www.aridostlari.com
Re: Hello! www.aridostlati.com
« Reply #3 on: December 24, 2012, 09:21:34 am »
hello from turkey www.aridostlari.com site, the director of Friends of bees Beekeeping Research and Development in Turkey
KAFKAS ANA ARI. ANADOLU YERLİSİ. --- DAMIZLIK ANA ARI NASIL ÜRETİLİR? -. İTALİEN ANA ANA arı satışımız Nisan ayında başlar,Ekim ayına kadar devam. Ana arı satışı için için önceden aldığmız listeye göre satışlarımızı yapmaktayız. Ana arı satışında Petek,petek ve arıcılık втором imalat ve satışı yapmaktadır. ...

anything