Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: First spring inspection / Reversing hive bodies  (Read 2748 times)

Offline jgarzasr

• House Bee
First spring inspection / Reversing hive bodies
« on: April 05, 2006, 10:39:12 pm »
I want to get in and do my first spring inspection - and reverse hive bodies, and remove the currently unused boxes.  Maybe I should have already done this - but was wondering what is the temp outside that I should be looking for to break open the boxes.  I was thinking about tomorrow - it is going to be high 56, and partly/mostly cloudy.  Or should I wait until next week when it starts to get in the 60's.  Thanks.

Offline bobby

• New Bee
when to reverse.
« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2006, 11:19:14 pm »
i reversed mine a little to soon. they don't seem to be doing as well as the one i did'nt reverse. later i learned only to reverse if the queen has started laying and running out of room in the top box. right now i'm feeding them all the sugar water i can .

Offline bobby

• New Bee
temp.
« Reply #2 on: April 05, 2006, 11:22:34 pm »
i've learned to open only when temp. is 50 or above during the day. if nights are still cold i open early in the day so they have time to bring temp back up in hive.

Offline Apis629

• Field Bee
    • A Hobbyist's Beekeeping Adventures
First spring inspection / Reversing hive bodies
« Reply #3 on: April 06, 2006, 12:28:02 am »
Maybe I'm too cautious with my bees.  I almost never crack the boxes apart unless the temperature is 70º or higher.

Offline Finsky

• Super Bee
Re: First spring inspection / Reversing hive bodies
« Reply #4 on: April 06, 2006, 01:47:28 am »
Quote from: jgarzasr
I want to get in and do my first spring inspection - and reverse hive bodies, and remove the currently unused boxes.  .

Why you reverse hive bodies after first inspection?

Brood area is up because it is warmest place in the hive. If you change situation, it makes harm to build up.

When hive has wintered in 2 box, usually another is vain. If one box is enough for bees, it is better take extra roon and extra food frames away.  2 full food frame is enough for couple of weeks and then it is time to check food again.

It depends where you live. I enlarge my first time under brood box.
I reverse hive bodies when I put third box.  Then bees move foor to upper box which is in second. Winter sugar will be mixed with early honey.