Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: What do people do with those 1 oz. beeswax bricks?  (Read 4204 times)

Offline twb

• House Bee
What do people do with those 1 oz. beeswax bricks?
« on: July 25, 2009, 10:28:45 pm »
This is a very common question for us when we sell honey and beeswax products.  I have googled uses for beeswax, but I want to know specifically for the 1 oz bricks.  Can you all give me some practical uses for these things?  I'd like to write something up for our customers.  Thank you.
"Pleasant words are a honeycomb, sweet to the soul and healing to the bones."  Proverbs 16:24

Sincerely,
TWB

Offline Natalie

• Queen Bee
Re: What do people do with those 1 oz. beeswax bricks?
« Reply #1 on: July 25, 2009, 11:19:33 pm »
They usually sell for $1.00 and I have seen them advertised for use on zippers to keep them working smoothly, used to lubricate sewing needles, bows and fishing lines.

Offline Cheryl

• House Bee
  • top bar beekeeper
« Reply #2 on: July 26, 2009, 12:00:43 am »
You can coat the end of a strand of hemp or other fiber as you are stringing beads, to keep it from fraying. You can coat the tip of a thread before you thread a needle.

I melt the one ounce bricks with other oils when I make measured quantities of base for lip balm.
We are what we repeatedly do.
Excellence, then, is not an act, but a habit.

~ Aristotle

Offline Jim134

• Galactic Bee
    • Franklin County Beekeepers Association
« Reply #3 on: July 26, 2009, 06:33:22 am »
Sold it the fair to use on ox whips

BEE HAPPY Jim 134  :)
"Tell me and I'll forget,show me and I may  remember,involve me and I'll understand"
        Chinese Proverb

"The farmer is the only man in our economy who buys everything at retail, sells everything at wholesale, and pays the freight both ways."
 John F. Kennedy
Franklin County Beekeepers Association MA. http://www.franklinmabeekeepers.org/

Offline lakeman

• House Bee
« Reply #4 on: July 26, 2009, 08:58:38 am »
My Grandmothers both kept a piece of beeswax on hand for waxing needels for easier penetration. Before retirement, as a carpenter I always had bees wax in my toolbox, to lubricate the threads on wood screws, for easier penetration.         As a foolish youngster (in my early 20's), I melted beeswax with black shoe polish (to soften and color it), which I used for mustache wax, I used to race motorcycles, and sported a "handle-bar" mustache.
I am my own biggest critic!

Offline riverrat

• House Bee
« Reply #5 on: July 26, 2009, 11:01:33 am »
some use it on sewing thread to keep it from tangling, Bullet making lube, tapping lubricant, skate board wax, investment(lost wax casting of metals) for making jewelry
never take the top off a hive on a day that you wouldn't want the roof taken off your house

Offline Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
« Reply #6 on: July 26, 2009, 11:11:20 am »
It makes sewing thread at least twice as strong by causing the fibers to stick together, which is why it's used by people sewing leather, or buttons, or quilts.  I also use it for bullet lube, lead flux (to get the dross off) etc.  There is nothing else like it for many uses.
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin

Offline twb

• House Bee
« Reply #7 on: July 26, 2009, 08:33:04 pm »
Thanks all.  I'm writing.... still a little room on my paper. ;)
"Pleasant words are a honeycomb, sweet to the soul and healing to the bones."  Proverbs 16:24

Sincerely,
TWB

Offline Cheryl

• House Bee
  • top bar beekeeper
« Reply #8 on: July 26, 2009, 08:49:51 pm »
Rub the beeswax along wooden runners of drawers that stick, to help them slide better.

Rub beeswax along door frames and door edges to keep them from binding, especially during humid weather.

Treat new wooden cutting boards by heating the board (warm oven 150deg)* and rubbing the wax onto the cutting surface. Place back into the oven for a few minutes (on a baking sheet) to melt the wax in a little more. Or warm with heat gun on low setting - or cover with brown paper and run a hot iron over it for the same desired effect.

*Not recommended for glued butcher-block.

~ Aristotle

Offline RayMarler

• Field Bee
« Reply #9 on: July 26, 2009, 08:52:05 pm »
Grate it with an old cheese grater purchased specifically for grating wax. Put it in a jar and poor in some distilled turpentine, screw on the lid and give it a good shaking. The turpentine softens the grated wax and it dissolves into a creamy texture. Adjust the thickness of the cream with more or less turpentine. It makes a great natural wood rub/polish, I was amazed at the look of the wood after polishing. It's ok for stained or natural wood, but doesn't work for varnished or poly coated woods.

Offline David LaFerney

• Field Bee
    • The Door Garden
« Reply #10 on: July 26, 2009, 10:08:51 pm »
Use it to lubricate (and protect) the sole of a hand plane or any other machined metal shop tool - table saw, planer, jointer, chisel, etc. It makes all of those tools feed smoother and cut better and It won't mess with your finish if any of it gets on the wood that you are working with.
"It ain't what you don't know that gets you into trouble. It's what you know for sure that just ain't so." Samuel Clemens

Putting the "ape" in apiary since 2009.

Offline Duck1968

• New Bee
« Reply #11 on: July 27, 2009, 12:17:32 am »
use it for bow strings on recurve and long bows to help bind the fibers of the string.

Offline sc-bee

• Super Bee
« Reply #12 on: July 27, 2009, 09:28:22 am »
My mother told me she had a friend that would eat comb honey as she ironed clothes. She would take the wax and rub it on the face of her iron, making it glide smoothly.
John 3:16

Offline Cheryl

• House Bee
  • top bar beekeeper
« Reply #13 on: July 27, 2009, 02:40:51 pm »
My mother told me she had a friend that would eat comb honey as she ironed clothes. She would take the wax and rub it on the face of her iron, making it glide smoothly.
Ahaha!! Cool. She'd have to make sure to get all the honey out first, and careful not to burn her fingers! :shock:

I think I read somewhere that you can make a fabric water resistant (not waterproof) by rubbing beeswax on a hot iron, and then running the iron lightly over the surface of the fabric, laying down a thin layer of wax on the topmost fibers. Also, I suppose it could be used to fix the knap in one direction depending on the fabric type.

~ Aristotle

Offline BoBn

• House Bee
    • h
« Reply #14 on: July 27, 2009, 04:06:37 pm »
Odysseus used beeswax for earplugs for his ship's crew.  He got the idea from Circe.   :-D
"Millions of innocent men, women, and children, since the introduction of Christianity, have been burnt, tortured, fined, and imprisoned; yet we have not advanced one inch toward uniformity. What has been the effect of coercion? To make one-half the world fools and the other half hypocrites."
--Thomas Jefferson

Offline dbzog

• New Bee
« Reply #15 on: July 27, 2009, 07:28:39 pm »
beeswax is rubbed on thread used for fly tying (fly fishing).

Offline Eshu

• House Bee
« Reply #16 on: July 28, 2009, 10:37:14 am »
Beeswax is used for lubricating rotary tool bits in jewelry making.  The jewelry suppliers sell these little cylindars of brown beeswax for nearly $5!  My girlfriend almost bought some even though I have several pounds around the house.

It is also used to seal/polish concrete and some stone kitchen counter tops.

Offline BenC

• House Bee
« Reply #17 on: July 29, 2009, 02:28:51 am »
Lubricates drawers that don't slide smoothly, also window sashes (the old ones that have the sash cord and weights can stick sometimes)  woodworkers can lube screws before running them into hard stuff like oak, helps make for easier penetration.  Used for flux when casting lead or brass.  Extends the life of bowstrngs and boots.  Of course there's all sorts of ways to use it in beekeeping.