Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Lumber is dried, now what?  (Read 8861 times)

Offline minz

• House Bee
Lumber is dried, now what?
« on: October 12, 2012, 05:17:48 pm »
I have some air dried hemlock that is reading below my cheap moisture meter (8%) and ready to plane it and sell as rough, planed, or bee equipment.  Should I pull the stickers, plane it first, or sticker it after I plane it? I could get the pile into half the size of a more stable pile and have less checking but the moisture would be set. End of a long dry summer here and we are going into our usual moderate wet winter (rain started today).  I have 1400 BF so it is a decent size stack and project ahead of me.
Poor decisions make the best stories.

Offline BlueBee

• Galactic Bee
Re: Lumber is dried, now what?
« Reply #1 on: October 12, 2012, 10:15:17 pm »
OK, you lost me on the stickering?  What are these stickers you’re talking about?

Not clear either what your intentions for the wood are?  Are you making hive bodies?  Selling rough sawn wood?  Selling planed wood? 

Finally I didn’t know Hemlock was abundant in the Northwest?  We have eastern hemlock here (Tsuga Canadensis).  What kind of Hemlock do you have?

Offline Jim134

• Galactic Bee
    • Franklin County Beekeepers Association
« Reply #2 on: October 12, 2012, 11:09:49 pm »
At 8% (the drying is done) at does have to be on sticker but at will not hurt it at all just plane it and take the sticker out after you plane it and pile up.

BEE HAPPY Jim 134 :)
"Tell me and I'll forget,show me and I may  remember,involve me and I'll understand"
        Chinese Proverb

"The farmer is the only man in our economy who buys everything at retail, sells everything at wholesale, and pays the freight both ways."
 John F. Kennedy
Franklin County Beekeepers Association MA. http://www.franklinmabeekeepers.org/

Offline hardwood

• Galactic Bee
  • Alysian Apiaries youtube.com/MrBeedude
« Reply #3 on: October 13, 2012, 10:44:34 am »
At 8% you're golden, no need to sticker anymore but, as Jim says, we keep it stickered until planed...helps keep the pwdery mold down.

Scott
"In the first place, we should insist that if the immigrant who comes here in good faith becomes an American and assimilates himself to us, he shall be treated on an exact equality with everyone else, for it is an outrage to discriminate against any such man because of creed, or birthplace, or origin. But this is predicated upon the person's becoming in every facet an American, and nothing but an American...There can be no divided allegiance here. Any man who says he is an American, but something else also, isn't an American at all. We have room for but one flag, the American flag...We have room for but one language here, and that is the English language...And we have room for but one sole loyalty and that is a loyalty to the American people."

Theodore Roosevelt 1907

Offline Jim134

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #4 on: October 13, 2012, 12:54:25 pm »
OK, you lost me on the stickering?  What are these stickers you’re talking about?Not clear either what your intentions for the wood are?  Are you making hive bodies?  Selling rough sawn wood?  Selling planed wood?  

Finally I didn’t know Hemlock was abundant in the Northwest?  We have eastern hemlock here (Tsuga Canadensis).  What kind of Hemlock do you have?

BlueBee... The 1"Sq. sticker you stack the lumber on

Pix of lumber on stickered so the wood can dry

http://www.irionlumber.com/uploads/images/What%20we%20do/Stickered%20cherry%20small.JPG

"Tell me and I'll forget,show me and I may  remember,involve me and I'll understand"
        Chinese Proverb

"The farmer is the only man in our economy who buys everything at retail, sells everything at wholesale, and pays the freight both ways."
 John F. Kennedy

Offline BlueBee

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #5 on: October 13, 2012, 06:34:37 pm »
Thanks for the photo of what 'stickering' is.  I didn't know the lingo; now it makes a lot more sense.

Now here's a related question for our lumber guys:  Why isn't the 'pressure treated' / 'green' lumber stickered at the big box stores?  I bought some 4x6 beams last week that were literally dripping water!  Man those things were heavy.  

Offline paindragon1

• New Bee
  • <vacant space>
« Reply #6 on: October 13, 2012, 07:36:33 pm »
You wouldn't sticker it to keep it dry, you would sticker it to keep it from warping.  Big box stores have bundled lumber and they break the bands when they bring it in.  Some times its stickered, most times its not.
Veni vidi, fecit mulsi.

Offline Jim134

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #7 on: October 13, 2012, 11:14:04 pm »
You wouldn't sticker it to keep it dry, you would sticker it to keep it from warping.  Big box stores have bundled lumber and they break the bands when they bring it in.  Some times its stickered, most times its not.

The lumber you buy at big box stores is all ready dry and planed  

Chinese Proverb

John F. Kennedy

Offline Jim134

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #8 on: October 13, 2012, 11:44:55 pm »
How else do you kiln/air dried green lumber by not using stickered  :?

« Last Edit: October 14, 2012, 12:36:28 am by Jim 134 »
        Chinese Proverb

John F. Kennedy

Offline Jim134

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #9 on: October 14, 2012, 08:37:17 am »
Thanks for the photo of what 'stickering' is.  I didn't know the lingo; now it makes a lot more sense.

Now here's a related question for our lumber guys:  Why isn't the 'pressure treated' / 'green' lumber stickered at the big box stores?  I bought some 4x6 beams last week that were literally dripping water!  Man those things were heavy.  

After the lumber has been 'pressure treated' at looks green in color  
To me green lumber as not a color it is the a mount of moisture in the lumber
If you go to a sawmill green lumber is the a mount of moisture in the lumber
If you go to retail store green lumber is 'pressure treated'
Have you every hear of green fire wood or dry fire wood  :?
        Chinese Proverb

John F. Kennedy

Offline PeeVee

• House Bee
« Reply #10 on: October 14, 2012, 10:16:46 am »
BlueBee - Whenever I buy 2x or treated from the lumber yard, I sticker and weight just as if it were green; unless I plan on nailing it down as soon as I get it home. We have Eastern Hemlock here on the farm but quite often shows ring shake on the larger trees. And is not as workable as pine. I'm wondering how the properties of Western Hemlock might differ.
-Paul VanSlyke - Cheers from Deposit,NY

Offline bernsad

• House Bee
« Reply #11 on: October 14, 2012, 05:23:20 pm »
We have Eastern Hemlock here on the farm but quite often shows ring shake on the larger trees. And is not as workable as pine. I'm wondering how the properties of Western Hemlock might differ.
It'll shake the other way? :-D

Offline minz

• House Bee
« Reply #12 on: October 15, 2012, 04:28:49 pm »
Well pulled out a couple of dozen boards, mostly 10”+, where the pith (heart of the tree) the grain checked in several directions.  It did not seem to run into the quarter sawn grain though. PeeVee, is that what you mean?  I have a 13” dewalt planer and it bogged down worse on the hemlock than on the walnut.  I figure my blades need sharpening. 
Now I am thinking of a different project other than more bee boxes. Look for the new post today for something to do with all of the 2” apples I have. For some reason my apple trees seem to have got over pollenated and every blossom turned to an apple (I have about a full size hive per dwarf tree).

Offline BlueBee

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #13 on: October 17, 2012, 02:12:42 pm »
For some reason my apple trees seem to have got over pollenated and every blossom turned to an apple (I have about a full size hive per dwarf tree).
Sounds like you have too many bees!!!

Offline minz

• House Bee
« Reply #14 on: October 17, 2012, 11:42:25 pm »
Winter will fix that for me.

Offline PeeVee

• House Bee
« Reply #15 on: October 18, 2012, 01:28:42 pm »
minz- In hemlock ( seems to be more than any other specie far as I know) the annular rings themselves are "detached" and a board will come apart. This is more than just the checking you see in other lumber. I've heard that it may be a bacterial issue. Doesn't affect all trees.
-Paul VanSlyke - Cheers from Deposit,NY

anything