Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: 2 Supercedure cells 8 days after the package was hived  (Read 2784 times)

Offline Hemlock

• Field Bee
2 Supercedure cells 8 days after the package was hived
« on: April 28, 2010, 09:54:55 pm »
Are these supercedure cells?  This package was hived on the 20th.  I inspected then the first time today.

What are my options?

Make Mead!

Offline Scadsobees

• Galactic Bee
  • Best use of smileys in a post award.
Re: 2 Supercedure cells 8 days after the package was hived
« Reply #1 on: April 28, 2010, 11:31:14 pm »
Yes, those are queen supercedure cells.  The bees will make those sometimes, I don't know why.  What is doubly puzzling about those things is that they often will draw them out over a full pollen cell. :roll:

That being said, it isn't uncommon for bees to supercede a queen, especially after a traumatic experience like being stuck for days on end in this tiny cage with nowhere to fly or poop and only sugar water to drink.  If that is the case...you can try to stop them but I don't think that the old queen will get killed until after the new queen hatches so it should be ok.

I wouldn't worry about it too much.  If they do start raising a youngster in there...just let them be.

Rick
Rick

Offline jclark96

• House Bee
« Reply #2 on: April 29, 2010, 05:58:14 pm »
If there is no egg or larvae in there then you have at least two weeks before the would supersede. Keep an eye on them and you can tell the mood of the hive. My bees build and tear them down.

Offline BjornBee

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #3 on: April 29, 2010, 06:53:14 pm »
No, they are not supercedure cells.

The are queen cups. Queens cups are placed throughout the hive at various locations. It is a normal function and part of the hive's dynamics.

They mean nothing until they have an eggs or larvae in them. Don't worry about them.
www.bjornapiaries.com
www.pennapic.org
Please Support "National Honey Bee Day"
Northern States Queen Breeders Assoc.  www.nsqba.com

Offline fish_stix

• House Bee
« Reply #4 on: April 29, 2010, 11:09:27 pm »
I'm with BjornBee; look at them and you'll see they're built over pollen cells. Just basic queen cups, which bees build all the time. Some hives will have dozens of them.

anything