Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: not sure I've got a queen  (Read 2815 times)

Offline McGoo

• New Bee
not sure I've got a queen
« on: May 02, 2011, 11:54:00 pm »
So I'm a relative newbie and I got a package; installed them in the tbh and put the queen on the side of the topbar.  When I checked the little box 3 days later I accidently knocked the little box when removing it and saw a couple of bees drop out.  Now they had eaten the candy, but there was a little piece of chewed paper inside which I was concerned may have blocked some of them and there were a couple  dead bees and one alive inside.  None appeared to be a queen, though her body could have fallen when I bumped the box. 

So then I thought that I should look at some of the comb and what I was was some liquid in the cells, but couldn't see eggs.  So now while I wait a few days in hopes that the brood is being created, I am wondering if a queen lays her egg in a completely dry comb and then the worker bees put in some royal jelly, etc. or do they prepare the cell first with liquid.  if the answer is the former, then maybe the liquid does house an egg.  I would really appreciate any helpful ideas on this.  Everytime I go into the hive I get flustered and worried that I'm interrupting and I want my bees to do their thing. 
You see... this is my second year and I lost my whole hive last winter.  It appears that they starved to death.  I feel terrible about it and want things to go better this year.  I have a lot to learn. Help is appreciated.  Colleen 

Online Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
Re: not sure I've got a queen
« Reply #1 on: May 03, 2011, 01:23:31 am »
They always are attracted to the remaining smell of the queen and will "worry" the cage for days to come if you don't remove it first.  It does not mean the queen is dead.  It could take as little as a couple of days and as much as three weeks to see eggs if there is a queen.

The queen lays an egg.  It quickly dries and is glued to the bottom standing up like a grain of rice on end.  3 1/2 days later this dry egg will hatch and they will immediately start feeding it with royal jelly which will make a little clear pool in the bottom.  Soon it will be more white and less clear.  If you have clear liquid that is more than a drop, then it's nectar or syrup.  If you have one drop with an imperfection on the surface it could be the larvae.  If it's wet and white with a "C" shape in it, it's a larvae.

My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin

Offline McGoo

• New Bee
« Reply #2 on: May 03, 2011, 09:55:30 am »
Thank you so much.  so in my next visit to the hive ... in another week(?) I should look for pupa or capped cells - right?  That would be an indicator that all is well and the queen is alive. 

In the meantime we made a little stand (§¤«£¿æ type) to place the bars on so it makes it easier for me to pull one or two bars out and inspect.

Thanks so very much.
Colleen 

Online Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
« Reply #3 on: May 03, 2011, 11:25:18 pm »
Doubtful you'll have capped cells, but you might.  I'd expect eggs and larvae.  But sometimes it takes as much as two weeks for the queen to start laying.
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin

Offline McGoo

• New Bee
« Reply #4 on: May 07, 2011, 07:44:04 pm »
I found her!

Everyone mentions that the bees will tell you how they feel ... well as I worked through the bars toward the center I picked up a bar and all of a sudden a whole lot of noise.... and there she was on the new comb!  She's twice as big as the others and doesn't have any stripes that I could see.  She's golden in color. 

I did not see any brood yet, but I continue to see liquid in many of the cells at the top area.  Could this be the beginning's of honey?  I think I saw some cells capped over - flat and light colored.  Is that the honey? 

Learning and excited.
Colleen

Offline McGoo

• New Bee
« Reply #5 on: May 13, 2011, 10:04:17 pm »
Friday the 13th turned out to be a good day for me andthe bees... they now have capped brood, capped drone brood and even honey!  I did not look for swarm cells - I will do that during my next visit.