Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Drone Frames  (Read 7591 times)

Offline Cindi

• Galactic Bee
Re: Drone Frames
« Reply #20 on: December 06, 2007, 11:00:45 am »
Stickin' to my oxalic acid vapourizer for whenever mite levels get too high.  The vapour does not harm the brood and can be used any time (except of course during that wonderful nectar and honey flow).

When I performed this a couple of weeks ago, I was astounded at how many mites fell in 48 hours.

It went like this basically:  I call each colony by a name.  I like to count mites because it really gives me a good idea of what is going on in the colonies.  After losing 10 colonies last year from varroa issues, I am pretty crazy about mite stuff.  I put the sticky boards back in again after the vapourizing and counting.  I will be taking them out soon to see how many more mites may have fallen off since the vapourizing count.  The debris on the sticky boards may be quite alot though, not sure how visible the mites may be -- we'll see.

Nov.6 mite count                Nov 14 vapourizing, mite dead           
3 day sticky board
Nuc 3                  28                     215
Nuc 4                  52                     164
Nuc 2                 246                    600
P4                       31                     171
P3                       64                     350
Swarm caught
on Sept 6               1                     123
P2                       10                     247
P1                       13                      53
Old C.                  35                      53
Nuc                     14                      56

As you can see with the Swarm, after the three day sticky board prorated count, it only had 1 mite showing up.  BUT.....with the oxalic acid vapourizing there was 123 mites.  That really goes to show the numbers, eh?  1 mite to 123 dead.  Hmmmmm.  There was no brood present, so no further mites could have developed within cells.  Have a wonderful day, love our life we're livin'.  Cindi
There are strange things done in the midnight sun by the men who moil for gold.  The Arctic trails have their secret tales that would make your blood run cold.  The Northern Lights have seen queer sights, but the queerest they ever did see, what the night on the marge of Lake Lebarge, I cremated Sam McGee.  Robert Service

Offline Finsky

• Super Bee
« Reply #21 on: December 06, 2007, 01:21:26 pm »
One pal used oa vaporizer and mites falled 4 weeks

Offline Cindi

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #22 on: December 07, 2007, 10:59:29 am »
I took out the sticky boards yesterday, they have been in since the last mite counting.  The bees have obviously mostly been in the winter cluster because of the positioning of the debris on the bottom of the sticky boards.  Have not had a chance to count these mites yet, but I will be doing that today and then setting the traps back in tomorrow to see if any more fall.

I am a keeper of records, I like to know exactly what is going on in the colonies as far as record keeping and so I count mites.  I look like something from the alien world because I have a head apparatus that I strap on and it magnifies the board, I have a clicker on my left hand and click each time I see a mite, I have a little sharp pointer thing that I have so that I can move the mites if there are two together for more accuracy.  Sometimes, like the last time, my thumb got kind of sore from so much clicking, hee, hee  :) :)

So, I will post the results tomorrow morning.  Some will find this the most boring thing on earth and some of you will love these accountings, I love to account things, so that is where I sit.  Have a wonderful, beautiful, fantastic, and great day.  Our sun is shinin' again.  Cold -6 Celsius (21F), clear, also gonna look for those frost flowers that might be on some tree branches, any frost figures are not on the ground here, but on the tree branches.  Those were beautiful frost flowers we saw posted on our forum. Ooops, almost called them snow flowers.  Cindi 
There are strange things done in the midnight sun by the men who moil for gold.  The Arctic trails have their secret tales that would make your blood run cold.  The Northern Lights have seen queer sights, but the queerest they ever did see, what the night on the marge of Lake Lebarge, I cremated Sam McGee.  Robert Service

Offline annette

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #23 on: December 07, 2007, 05:42:08 pm »
I would like to see a photo of you in your counting outfit so I can have a good laugh.

But I am interested to know why you are counting mites now?? I thought it is not necessary when they are in the winter cluster?

Annette

Offline Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
« Reply #24 on: December 07, 2007, 07:33:01 pm »
>In nature bees have a sence how much they raise drones, yes, but if you want a good yield, stay very far off that limit.

According to the study referenced above, no matter what you do, the bees will raise the exact same number of drones.  It's only a matter of how hard they will have to work to accomplish it.
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin

Offline Kirk-o

• Queen Bee
« Reply #25 on: December 07, 2007, 09:21:26 pm »
Why Worry about something the Bees handle so well let the bees take care of it
kirko
"It's not about Honey it's not about Money It's about SURVIVAL" Charles Martin Simmon

Offline Brian D. Bray

• Heavenly Beekeeper
  • Heavenly Beekeeper
  • Galactic Bee
  • I really look like this, just ask Cindi.
    • http://spaces.msn.com/thecoonsden
« Reply #26 on: December 08, 2007, 12:17:34 am »
Si my question is for those of you using small cell plastic:  Where do the bees put the drone cells--burr comb?

It's been my observation, over the years, that if the bees are prevented from drawing drone comb they will then turn to building burr comb like crazy and filling it with drones.  That's another reason I like strips or foundationless--the bees build the type of comb they need, where they need it.
Life is a school.  What have you learned?   :brian:      The greatest danger to our society is apathy, vote in every election!

Offline TwT

• Senior Forum
  • Galactic Bee
  • Ted
« Reply #27 on: December 08, 2007, 02:06:08 am »
According to the study referenced above, no matter what you do, the bees will raise the exact same number of drones.  It's only a matter of how hard they will have to work to accomplish it.

this is something I will find out for myself this year, because I will have hives with drone comb and hives with out and see which has more drones, personally I dont think it will be close!!!
THAT's ME TO THE LEFT JUST 5 MONTHS FROM NOW!!!!!!!!

Never be afraid to try something new.
Amateurs built the ark,
Professionals built the Titanic

Offline Cindi

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #28 on: December 08, 2007, 09:56:06 am »
Apologies, I am off topic and getting on topic.  Have a wonderful and great day, Cindi

Offline Finsky

• Super Bee
« Reply #29 on: December 08, 2007, 01:59:23 pm »

that is real nonsence, as i have said before.

Offline Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
« Reply #30 on: December 08, 2007, 08:01:44 pm »
>that is real nonsence, as i have said before.

Most research by renowned entomologists is. :)  But in this case I happen to agree with them.
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin

Offline tig

• House Bee
« Reply #31 on: December 08, 2007, 08:38:13 pm »
colony size has a lot to do with producing drones and the amount of food they have. the queen won't lay in the drone cells with a five framer...usually she starts in a 10 framer and up.  the presence of a lot of drones usually means the colonies feel strong enough with enough reserves to trigger the swarm impulse.  i agree with michael that theres a certain threshold for number of drones and once they reach that produce no more unless you remove the drones.

Offline rdy-b

• Super Bee
« Reply #32 on: December 08, 2007, 11:52:05 pm »
THE clearest indicator of adequate protein intake is that the colonies will be rearing drones RDY-B

Offline Finsky

• Super Bee
« Reply #33 on: December 09, 2007, 04:47:34 am »
Drone area system is the most simple. I cannot understand how it may turn to science or snmething else unpractical discussion.
i noticed calculation. If you put a whole drone frame and you kill pupae in half way, then bees raise new larvae, so during natural cycle they have raised 2 frames in 4 weeks. It is awfully much .

another harm is that you forget destroy drone area but iT is not end of world.  if you have not the area however droners are there.

anything