Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Salt  (Read 5306 times)

Offline Jerrymac

• Galactic Bee
Salt
« on: March 06, 2005, 04:05:00 pm »
Because of something I had read a few months ago, and what had been posted here, I took a few chuncks of water conditioner salt out by the hive a few days ago (03-02-05). I sat the chuncks on a plastic lid from country crock margerin container. This is lying upside down on the ground. I poured some water into this.

Today I went to look at the bees. There were only a couple of small salt rocks left and one bee was messing around with them. There was no water in the plastic lid. It had just stopped raining before I went out there, and it had rained a little yesterday. There was water puddled onto flat surfaces but none in the salt dish. I do believe the bees like salt for what ever reason.
:rainbowflower:  Light travels faster than sound. This is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak.   :rainbowflower:

:jerry:

My pictures.Type in password;  youview
     http://photobucket.com/albums/v225/Jerry-mac/

Offline Jerrymac

• Galactic Bee
Salt
« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2005, 05:08:29 pm »
I had just posted the above after walking back to the house from the hive. I had dumped some water on the remaining salt before I left, approximantly four tablespoon fulls. I just went back and looked and all that water is gone and one little tear drop sized rock of salt is left. I'm going to make a salt feeder jar and see how long it takes them to empty it.

More later.
:rainbowflower:  Light travels faster than sound. This is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak.   :rainbowflower:

Offline BigRog

• House Bee
Salt
« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2005, 09:01:17 pm »
Guess they like it.
All living things that we know of need salt
"Lurch my good man,…what did you mean when you said just now that 'You've got better things to do than run my petty little errands'…….?"

Offline williams460

• New Bee
Salt
« Reply #3 on: April 21, 2005, 11:55:09 pm »
I have some good salt with vitamins still intact , not processed garbage the sell to most consumers.Pinkish in colour ,anyway i put some sprinkles on there and they packed the sprinkles off rite away , and took it in for consumption .hmm new way to get vitamins in your bees ?Just maybe.
BEE LOVER

Offline photokid

• New Bee
Salt
« Reply #4 on: April 22, 2005, 04:20:08 pm »
I hope it's not like the way cats and dogs love anti-freeze because it tastes sweet.

Offline photokid

• New Bee
Salt
« Reply #5 on: April 25, 2005, 11:08:34 am »
It makes sense, though, since bees prefer muddy water over clean.

Offline Apis629

• Field Bee
    • A Hobbyist's Beekeeping Adventures
Salt
« Reply #6 on: May 07, 2005, 07:19:43 pm »
I once read a book on beekeeping from the 1970s that sugested feeding salt to bees to enhance brood development.  I'm not sure what book it was but it's at my town's library. :? I can't remember what it was called but it had a rough sketch of worker bees with a queen cell on the cover.  I think it was "Practical Beekeeping" by Enoch H. Tompkins.  I'll try to check later this week.

Offline bassman1977

• "King Bee"
  • Super Bee
Salt
« Reply #7 on: June 15, 2005, 02:25:02 pm »
That's pretty interesting.  Jerrymac or anyone else...are you doing this on a regular basis now?  Any more updates on how it's working?
(\__/)
(='.'=)
(''')_(''')

Offline Jerrymac

• Galactic Bee
Salt
« Reply #8 on: June 15, 2005, 11:52:07 pm »
I just sort of left it in a shallow jar lid. Sometimes after a rain I would see a bee getting into it. I heard some where that they really go for the salt rock that you feed livestock. Haven't tried it.

Offline Finsky

• Super Bee
Salt
« Reply #9 on: June 16, 2005, 01:17:34 am »
I have studied during 1,5 year nutrition of bees and I have not found not a mention about salt (NaCl). In reports they say that pollen has all minerals what bees need. Honey as well contains minerals.

Offline bassman1977

• "King Bee"
  • Super Bee
Salt
« Reply #10 on: June 16, 2005, 10:33:19 am »
Thanks gents.
(\__/)
(='.'=)
(''')_(''')

anything