Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: When you feed sugar water ?  (Read 16794 times)

Offline Joelel

• Field Bee
Re: When you feed sugar water ?
« Reply #40 on: August 27, 2009, 10:42:22 am »
it's not that hard to figure out.  don't feed when there is a flow on and you have honey supers on.  feed in spring for buildup and in fall to top them off for winter.  i can't imagine that anyone would feed at the same time they had honey supers on....but, maybe some don't know better?

This post was ignored because of the smart a__ cat fire storm getting started,if i would have taken it into consideration,i may have understood. But now your on my ignor list.

Acts2:37: Now when they heard this, they were pricked in their heart, and said unto Peter and to the rest of the apostles, Men and brethren, what shall we do?
38: Then Peter said unto them, Repent, and be baptized every one of you in the name of Jesus Christ for the remission of sins, and ye shall receive the gift of the Holy Ghost.
39: For the promise is unto you, and to your children, and to all that are afar off, even as many as the Lord our God shall call.
40: And with many other words did he testify and exhort, saying, Save yourselves from this untoward generation

Offline Natalie

• Queen Bee
« Reply #41 on: August 27, 2009, 11:02:59 am »
Look Kathy you are on ANOTHER list!! I am on this one too, I think its getting pretty full, Irwin you better try to squeeze in before there is no more room.

Offline Kathyp

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #42 on: August 27, 2009, 11:07:21 am »
guys, while i am proud to be on a list with you all, i think we are starting to scare off the new folks who don't know the history here.

we do not want people to think they get flamed for asking questions.  any questions.

suffice it to say, for all of you who are new to this forum, there is history here.

do not be dissuaded from asking your questions by this thread.

natalie and irwin, if beemaster sends me to the ash heap again, i don't think i could stand it.  it's the coffee house for me for a bit.  see you there!   :-D
Someone really ought to tell them that the world of Ayn Rand?s novel was not meant to be aspirational.

Offline Irwin

• Super Bee
  • howdy all
« Reply #43 on: August 27, 2009, 11:25:20 am »
Look Kathy you are on ANOTHER list!! I am on this one too, I think its getting pretty full, Irwin you better try to squeeze in before there is no more room.
Read reply 31 I'm there :-D
Fight organized crime!  Re-elect no one.

Offline Natalie

• Queen Bee
« Reply #44 on: August 27, 2009, 11:34:54 am »
So you are! Don't know how I missed that. Welcome, been on it for about a month now, you are in good company ;)

Offline Jack

• House Bee
« Reply #45 on: August 27, 2009, 11:58:13 am »
A very select group I see. Is there some kind of initiation? My name is Ben Dover and I would be interested in joining.

Offline Natalie

• Queen Bee
« Reply #46 on: August 27, 2009, 12:30:27 pm »
It seems to me all you have to do is to take the time to answer questions the op starts and when he doesn't understand and you explain it further you get put on his list.
Happened to me back in July.  It looks like Irwin is on the list because he is our friend.
Ben I am sure we would welcome you to the list.
I am still wondering how Iddee has avoided being on the list for this long?

Offline beemaster

• Site Founder
  • Administrator
  • Galactic Bee
  • It is my pleasure to bring the forums to you.
    • http://www.beemaster.com
« Reply #47 on: August 27, 2009, 03:20:09 pm »
Nat has been on my ignore list for a long time,I don't read her posts,now Kat and Irwin goes on ignorance list with her,Opps,I mean ignore.

Joelel:

I just haveone comment, worth mentioning in public - when you choose to IGNORE a member or Membr POSTS, that is SOMETHING a goog member should keep to themself. If you choose to debate their points, that is a different story, but here we dealwih people whos points ma differ from ours, we eithr accept it, reject it or ignore it - Neither I nor the members need to know WHO you don't pay any attention to, doing so is saying that "For whatever reason" you find the content they post useless or foolish and it is a dig toward that member. It isn't a good rule of thumb to use here and I ask you to not share such details with the membership again.

I have members who IGNORE my attempts of communication and that is their choice, wrongfully I pointed one out and appologise for doing so, what happens behind the scenes at any members computer should remain there, If I hold myself to that standard, then I hold that standard to you too - as well as any member here.

Just as a final thought, concidaring you ignore certain people, I can't help how you quote them, is your ignore policy that lame that you don't even stand by your own rules? Being consistant is a way to build respect, pointing out your "behind the scenes plans" is a cry for attention. I don't think you purposely want to attract the latter statement, and I hope you try harder in presenting your ON-LINE charactor in a better light.

MORE.... has be PMed to JOELEL.
« Last Edit: August 27, 2009, 03:30:10 pm by beemaster »
NJBeemaster my YOUTUBE Video Collection

Please enjoy the forum, and if it has helped you in any way, we hope that a small donation can be made to support our FULLY member supported forum. You will never see advertisements here, and that is because of the generous members who have made our forum possible. We are in our second decade as a beekeeping forum and all thanks to member support. At the top right of every page is a donations link. Please help if you can.

Offline deknow

• Field Bee
    • Golden Rule Honey, LLC
« Reply #48 on: August 27, 2009, 03:24:14 pm »
What ever,read the question again,have a nice day.FIRST QUESTION,When you feed sugar water,do the bees eat it or make honey out of it or both ?

1. refined sucrose is never "honey", no matter how many times you run it through a bee.

2. if you have any doubts about what bees do with sugar syrup during a flow, i recommend (again) that you add blue food coloring to the syrup...then you will know for sure.  here's a hint, you will have an easier time selling honey contaminated with syrup if it isn't blue.

deknow

Offline JWPick

• House Bee
« Reply #49 on: September 07, 2009, 04:28:55 pm »
Just so I'll understand...Kathy..Natalie..Irwin...You generally supply sugar water during Spring and Fall when you no longer have Supers on which means the bees use the sugar water for themselves (brood and food storage) and then you stop feeding sugar water when the flow of nectar and pollen increases so as to prevent the bees from storing any sugar water in the Supers as you begin to add them so none of the stored honey is contaminated with the sugar water mixture. Is this a correct interpretation?

Offline Kathyp

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #50 on: September 07, 2009, 04:46:20 pm »
right.  i put syrup on when day temps are up enough for bees to fly.  that will usually be late February mid March.  i don't leave it on overnight when the temps are still freezing or very cold, because i use bucket feeders and i don't want temp changes to cause syrup drips on bee cluster.  i also put pollen patties on in late Feb.  when i stop feeding depends on when our rain lets up and things start blooming. 
i pull honey supers sometime in august, and begin feeding if they need it...and this year they really needed it.

i also leave dry sugar on the hives all winter as emergency food.  there are a couple of ways to do that.  i put mine on the inner cover.
Someone really ought to tell them that the world of Ayn Rand?s novel was not meant to be aspirational.

Offline JWPick

• House Bee
« Reply #51 on: September 07, 2009, 05:00:31 pm »
Thanks KathyP...We really can't wait to get our bees and stuff, but we want to make sure we do things right the first time and limit our mistakes. It's really a huge learning experience that we look forward to. Thanks again!

Offline iddee

• Universal Bee
« Reply #52 on: September 07, 2009, 07:53:55 pm »
>>>>I am still wondering how Iddee has avoided being on the list for this long?<<<<

You mean I'm not.  DARN!!! If there is one ignore list out of the 4,510 members here, Joelel's is the number one I would like to be on. If I'm not, it is probably because I skip over 99% of his posts. He's the only one on here that asks totally beginning questions, then writes a half a book explaining to others the "ONLY" correct way to keep bees.

Beemaster, if I get a chewing out for this one, feel free. It is a small price to pay for the pleasure.
"Listen to the mustn'ts, child. Listen to the don'ts. Listen to the shouldn'ts, the impossibles, the won'ts. Listen to the never haves, then listen close to me . . . Anything can happen, child. Anything can be"

*Shel Silverstein*

Offline Kathyp

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #53 on: September 07, 2009, 08:06:28 pm »
Lord, zip-tie my hands..........

Offline Bee-Bop

• Field Bee
« Reply #54 on: September 07, 2009, 09:06:12 pm »
I believe I was one of the first on the list, I believe it was in June, right after he started!

I have skipped over his post since then, he don't need my opinion !

Guess I'll get another smart remark again !

BeeMaster I'm also ready for a chewing out alongside  Iddee !     :'(

Bee-Bop
" If Your not part of the genetic solution of breeding mite-free bees, then You're part of the problem "

Offline beecanbee

• House Bee
« Reply #55 on: September 07, 2009, 09:44:14 pm »
Back on topic here...  I have used the freezer bag, a gallon I believe, and totally filled it.  I placed it on the top of the brood frames and used a spacer "ring" to raise the top board above the swollen bag.  When I pierced the bag, I got a small fountain of syrup and no doubt created a drip onto the brood.

So - how full do you fill your bags?  How long of a slice do you put in the bag with your knife, or do you use a punch?  In relatively warm weather - will the syrup drip cause harm to the brood?
"I come from a state that raises corn and cotton and cockleburs and Democrats, and frothy eloquence neither convinces nor satisfies me. I am from Missouri. You have got to show me."  Duncan Vandiver

A boy can do half the work of a man, but two boys do less, and three boys get nothing done at all. :)

(False) Patriotism is the last refuge of a scoundrel.  - Samuel Johnson

Offline poka-bee

• Super Bee
  • I am NEVER bored!!
    • Darby Farms
« Reply #56 on: September 08, 2009, 01:30:54 am »
Hi Paul
I hate to miss all the fun!  You don't fill the bag completely, only about 3/4 full then make a few little slashes with a razor blade after you lay it down where the air bubble is, in the center not on the sides.  Good luck. That is the method I used.
Jody
I'm covered in Beeesssss!  Eddie Izzard

Offline beecanbee

• House Bee
« Reply #57 on: September 08, 2009, 01:39:20 am »

You don't fill the bag completely, only about 3/4 full then make a few little slashes with a razor blade after you lay it down where the air bubble is

Thanks for that - I only see these babies once a week, so in my desire to fatten them up for the winter - I was "force feeding" - trying to give them as much as I could.  :oops:

I like this method - the bag is completely sucked dry by next inspection, and the only dead bees are a few that won't get out of the way as I carefully place the bag in.  Far fewer than the frame feeder or even the bottle/chick water-er I was using.
"I come from a state that raises corn and cotton and cockleburs and Democrats, and frothy eloquence neither convinces nor satisfies me. I am from Missouri. You have got to show me."  Duncan Vandiver

A boy can do half the work of a man, but two boys do less, and three boys get nothing done at all. :)

(False) Patriotism is the last refuge of a scoundrel.  - Samuel Johnson

Offline Joelel

• Field Bee
« Reply #58 on: September 08, 2009, 02:49:50 am »
Thanks KathyP...We really can't wait to get our bees and stuff, but we want to make sure we do things right the first time and limit our mistakes. It's really a huge learning experience that we look forward to. Thanks again!

Please note also,she is Oregon with long bad winters. If your in the South you most likely will never have to feed them except for in a drought. When you start a new hive with a package,you feed them for 2 months. If you want to do things the best way,ask me. You will hear 101 ways to do everything but one way is the best way.
« Last Edit: September 08, 2009, 04:47:03 am by Joelel »
Acts2:37: Now when they heard this, they were pricked in their heart, and said unto Peter and to the rest of the apostles, Men and brethren, what shall we do?
38: Then Peter said unto them, Repent, and be baptized every one of you in the name of Jesus Christ for the remission of sins, and ye shall receive the gift of the Holy Ghost.
39: For the promise is unto you, and to your children, and to all that are afar off, even as many as the Lord our God shall call.
40: And with many other words did he testify and exhort, saying, Save yourselves from this untoward generation

Offline Joelel

• Field Bee
« Reply #59 on: September 08, 2009, 03:06:10 am »
>>>>I am still wondering how Iddee has avoided being on the list for this long?<<<<

You mean I'm not.  DARN!!! If there is one ignore list out of the 4,510 members here, Joelel's is the number one I would like to be on. If I'm not, it is probably because I skip over 99% of his posts. He's the only one on here that asks totally beginning questions, then writes a half a book explaining to others the "ONLY" correct way to keep bees.

Beemaster, if I get a chewing out for this one, feel free. It is a small price to pay for the pleasure.

I would think,if you had some answers to some of my beginners questions,you would answer them instead of skipping over them and then turning around and making a remark like this. By the way,I do keep bees the correct way,the best way.
  I have learned much more then you will ever learn because I'm not to proud to ask questions.
« Last Edit: September 08, 2009, 04:36:54 am by Joelel »