Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: I Bought an Extractor, an OLDIE, have questions.  (Read 11201 times)

Offline DayValleyDahlias

• Super Bee
    • DayValleyDahlia's Blog
I Bought an Extractor, an OLDIE, have questions.
« on: February 08, 2009, 06:06:45 pm »
Hello Bee Friends,

Today my DH and I drove up to San Mateo ( about 1 1/4 hours North ), bought a "Little Wonder" hand extractor.  $150.00 got us the extractor, a bee suit, 2 veils, a pair of gloves, hive tool, uncapper ( hand ), and a custom made stand.  Also some used Pierco frames which I have trhown in the recycle bin.

It looks well used and smells musty inside.  Please have a look and tell me how to get it squeaky clean.

Many thanks!

Offline Kathyp

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
Re: I Bought an Extractor, an OLDIE, have questions.
« Reply #1 on: February 08, 2009, 06:11:23 pm »
everything can be scrubbed and then rinsed with a weak bleach solution...the rinsed again and allowed to air dry.  the rust in the basket is more of a problem.  you probably need to find out if there is a paint that is food grade.  there must be something.  some kind of enamel paint that would not degrade or chip?
Someone really ought to tell them that the world of Ayn Rand?s novel was not meant to be aspirational.

Offline rdy-b

• Super Bee
« Reply #2 on: February 08, 2009, 07:02:36 pm »
everything can be scrubbed and then rinsed with a weak bleach solution...the rinsed again and allowed to air dry.  the rust in the basket is more of a problem.  you probably need to find out if there is a paint that is food grade.  there must be something.  some kind of enamel paint that would not degrade or chip?
http://www.betterbee.com/prodinfo.asp?number=EP2&variation=  RDY-B

Offline JP

• The Swarm King
  • Universal Bee
  • I like doing cut-outs, but I love catching swarms!
    • JPthebeeman.com
« Reply #3 on: February 08, 2009, 07:29:40 pm »
I would try to find someone who could sandblast the basket, then paint it.

...JP
My Youtube page is titled JPthebeeman with hundreds of educational & entertaining videos.

My website JPthebeeman.com http://jpthebeeman.com

Offline DayValleyDahlias

• Super Bee
    • DayValleyDahlia's Blog
« Reply #4 on: February 08, 2009, 07:30:46 pm »
You guys rock, thank a million! :piano:

Offline DayValleyDahlias

• Super Bee
    • DayValleyDahlia's Blog
« Reply #5 on: February 08, 2009, 07:31:16 pm »
P.S.  can the basket be removed?

Offline MustbeeNuts

• Field Bee
    • Great White Betta
« Reply #6 on: February 08, 2009, 07:36:27 pm »
If you can get a large plastic bucket, put water in it to cover the basket, add a package of baking soda, then take a car battery charger that is a few amps . take a metal rod and stand it in the water connect to the positive side of the battery, the other end contacty the basket.  in a few mins you should see bubbles , it will remove the oxidization from the basket and overnight the rust is gone, you will then have to paint it with food grade paint but it will remove all the rust, the inside of the extractor, well like above add bleach and water, I also used dish soap, took a steel wool and cleaned the crap out of mine, one thing at the bottom there is a bearing, you have to pour boiling water into that slowly to remove the grease and nastys in there, then  repack with nice grease from your bee supply house or if your like me I jammed it full of crisco. and it worked great. anything with rust can be deoxinized in the above manner. I gotta telL you onE more thing ,,DONT PUT YOUR HANDS IN THE WATER WHILE ITS PLUGGED IN . SHOCK !!!!!
Each new day brings decisions,  these are  new branches on the tree of life.

Offline MustbeeNuts

• Field Bee
    • Great White Betta
« Reply #7 on: February 08, 2009, 07:37:55 pm »
P.S.  can the basket be removed?
[/quote

Most of it tears down for cleaning, there is a allen head set screw taht will let you take it down to a basket, but the heavy cross piece stays on.

I have one just like that and it was in the same shape, it cleaned up real good and works like a charm.
Each new day brings decisions,  these are  new branches on the tree of life.

Offline DayValleyDahlias

• Super Bee
    • DayValleyDahlia's Blog
« Reply #8 on: February 08, 2009, 08:19:46 pm »
Using a battery charger the positive lead hooks to metal rod, the negative lead hooks to basket?  The basket is under water.  Sorry but I a little confused.

If you can get a large plastic bucket, put water in it to cover the basket, add a package of baking soda, then take a car battery charger that is a few amps . take a metal rod and stand it in the water connect to the positive side of the battery,

The battery charger?

the other end contacty the basket.

The other end of the rod?

in a few mins you should see bubbles , it will remove the oxidization from the basket and overnight the rust is gone, you will then have to paint it with food grade paint but it will remove all the rust, the inside of the extractor, well like above add bleach and water, I also used dish soap, took a steel wool and cleaned the crap out of mine, one thing at the bottom there is a bearing, you have to pour boiling water into that slowly to remove the grease and nastys in there, then  repack with nice grease from your bee supply house or if your like me I jammed it full of crisco. and it worked great. anything with rust can be deoxinized in the above manner. I gotta telL you onE more thing ,,DONT PUT YOUR HANDS IN THE WATER WHILE ITS PLUGGED IN . SHOCK !!!!!

Offline Brian D. Bray

• Heavenly Beekeeper
  • Heavenly Beekeeper
  • Galactic Bee
  • I really look like this, just ask Cindi.
    • http://spaces.msn.com/thecoonsden
« Reply #9 on: February 08, 2009, 09:49:15 pm »
I think I would start with a simple steam cleaning and see what's left.  Then select the best method for removing anything left after the steam cleaning.  Coating the inside with a food grade epoxy will help preventing further corrosion in the futher.  Oil moving parts with a food grade grease if a brass bearing is not used.
Life is a school.  What have you learned?   :brian:      The greatest danger to our society is apathy, vote in every election!

Offline contactme_11

• House Bee
« Reply #10 on: February 09, 2009, 10:44:43 am »

...JP

+1000

Offline JP

• The Swarm King
  • Universal Bee
  • I like doing cut-outs, but I love catching swarms!
    • JPthebeeman.com
« Reply #11 on: February 09, 2009, 10:56:06 am »

...JP

+1000

Just to sandblast the basket, $1,000.00 ???

...JP
My Youtube page is titled JPthebeeman with hundreds of educational & entertaining videos.

My website JPthebeeman.com http://jpthebeeman.com

Offline Irwin

• Super Bee
  • howdy all
« Reply #12 on: February 09, 2009, 11:02:12 am »

...JP

+1000
:? :?
Fight organized crime!  Re-elect no one.

Offline Kathyp

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #13 on: February 09, 2009, 11:59:22 am »
you'll only have gritty honey for the first season   :-D   :-D
Someone really ought to tell them that the world of Ayn Rand?s novel was not meant to be aspirational.

Offline wayne

• House Bee
« Reply #14 on: February 09, 2009, 08:17:13 pm »
 Dip the basket in a bucket of vinegar overnight then pressure wash. Warm the clean dry basket in an oven or even the sunlight and then "paint" with parafine or bees wax.
 That's how the "poor folks" used to do their home made extractors.
I was born about 100 years too early, or to late.

Offline Cindi

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #15 on: February 09, 2009, 11:38:23 pm »
Dip the basket in a bucket of vinegar overnight then pressure wash. Warm the clean dry basket in an oven or even the sunlight and then "paint" with parafine or bees wax.

Ooh, I like that thought, it sounds very wonderful, pure and clean.....have that great and most wonderful day, healthy attitude.  Cindi
There are strange things done in the midnight sun by the men who moil for gold.  The Arctic trails have their secret tales that would make your blood run cold.  The Northern Lights have seen queer sights, but the queerest they ever did see, what the night on the marge of Lake Lebarge, I cremated Sam McGee.  Robert Service

Offline Brian D. Bray

• Heavenly Beekeeper
  • Heavenly Beekeeper
  • Galactic Bee
  • I really look like this, just ask Cindi.
    • http://spaces.msn.com/thecoonsden
« Reply #16 on: February 09, 2009, 11:48:12 pm »

Ooh, I like that thought, it sounds very wonderful, pure and clean.....have that great and most wonderful day, healthy attitude.  Cindi

Cindi if you don't want to move "that old thing" bring down here.  I'll be happy to fix it up.  I used to have one very similar back in the days....
What do you want in $?
Life is a school.  What have you learned?   :brian:      The greatest danger to our society is apathy, vote in every election!

Offline Cindi

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #17 on: February 09, 2009, 11:58:02 pm »
Oh Brian, we will talk.  I don't know what I want for it. Remember, this came from an old bee pal when I purchased all of his equipment.  He was moving from 10 acres to a condominium (that must have almost broke his heart).  I know that he said his Wife paid $300 for it a few years ago. It is a relic.  I haven't paid him anything for it yet, I told him that I had no clue what the value would be, nor what I would/could ever get for it if I tried to sell it for him.  We will talk, Brian, think about this for me.  Give me a PM one day.  I would bring it down to your place, or we could one day meet in the middle, probably do lunch or something like that.  Have that great day, love and live our great lives, off to watch House!!!  Cindi
There are strange things done in the midnight sun by the men who moil for gold.  The Arctic trails have their secret tales that would make your blood run cold.  The Northern Lights have seen queer sights, but the queerest they ever did see, what the night on the marge of Lake Lebarge, I cremated Sam McGee.  Robert Service

Offline DayValleyDahlias

• Super Bee
    • DayValleyDahlia's Blog
« Reply #18 on: February 10, 2009, 01:13:12 am »
Anyone here have an idea as to how old this extractor may be?

Offline Cindi

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #19 on: February 10, 2009, 12:09:01 pm »
Sharon, I think that yours is the same as mine, the fellow I got mine from called it a "little wonder" too.  I don't think it is that old, maybe 10 years.  Look at my pics here and tell me if it seems the same as yours?  I would be very interested to hear the age if someone knows.  Have a great, most wonderful day, health.  Cindi