Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Africanized bees?  (Read 3002 times)

Offline lakeman

• House Bee
Africanized bees?
« on: November 03, 2009, 06:05:57 pm »
In my new issue of AFB, in Jerry's classroom a beekeeper asked a question about africanized traits in a package purchased from a southwestern supplier. In his reply, Jerry states that if they purchased a package from the southwest, they may have some degree of afrikanization, and he ends his answer with CAVEAT EMPTOR (BUYER BEWARE) and my having purchased a couple of hives from a migrant keeper that had came from the almond groves (and was probably requeened  by supercedure while there) , and they are so wild that I can hardly care for them properly, my question is how do they stay in the business of supplying queen and packages, if they are very possibly/probably contaminated by mating with african drones.
I am my own biggest critic!

Offline wd

• Field Bee
Re: Africanized bees?
« Reply #1 on: November 03, 2009, 06:58:41 pm »
The best way is by re-queening from controlled and monitored stock.

Offline TwT

• Senior Forum
  • Galactic Bee
  • Ted
« Reply #2 on: November 03, 2009, 09:02:02 pm »
They all say they can't guarantee you will get straight European bee's when they open mate their queens but they will do their best to supply good queens. its just a chance you take when buying from africanized area's
THAT's ME TO THE LEFT JUST 5 MONTHS FROM NOW!!!!!!!!

Never be afraid to try something new.
Amateurs built the ark,
Professionals built the Titanic

Offline Joelel

• Field Bee
« Reply #3 on: November 04, 2009, 12:06:15 am »
In my new issue of AFB, in Jerry's classroom a beekeeper asked a question about africanized traits in a package purchased from a southwestern supplier. In his reply, Jerry states that if they purchased a package from the southwest, they may have some degree of afrikanization, and he ends his answer with CAVEAT EMPTOR (BUYER BEWARE) and my having purchased a couple of hives from a migrant keeper that had came from the almond groves (and was probably requeened  by supercedure while there) , and they are so wild that I can hardly care for them properly, my question is how do they stay in the business of supplying queen and packages, if they are very possibly/probably contaminated by mating with african drones.

You put a new queen in and out breed them.
Acts2:37: Now when they heard this, they were pricked in their heart, and said unto Peter and to the rest of the apostles, Men and brethren, what shall we do?
38: Then Peter said unto them, Repent, and be baptized every one of you in the name of Jesus Christ for the remission of sins, and ye shall receive the gift of the Holy Ghost.
39: For the promise is unto you, and to your children, and to all that are afar off, even as many as the Lord our God shall call.
40: And with many other words did he testify and exhort, saying, Save yourselves from this untoward generation

Offline lakeman

• House Bee
« Reply #4 on: November 04, 2009, 07:56:21 am »
In my new issue of AFB, in Jerry's classroom a beekeeper asked a question about africanized traits in a package purchased from a southwestern supplier. In his reply, Jerry states that if they purchased a package from the southwest, they may have some degree of afrikanization, and he ends his answer with CAVEAT EMPTOR (BUYER BEWARE) and my having purchased a couple of hives from a migrant keeper that had came from the almond groves (and was probably requeened  by supercedure while there) , and they are so wild that I can hardly care for them properly, my question is how do they stay in the business of supplying queen and packages, if they are very possibly/probably contaminated by mating with african drones.

If you aquire that queen from the area that has africanized queens laying the eggs, and africanized drones doing the mating  what are you accomplishing.
Hey I'm just mystified, and curious
I am my own biggest critic!

Offline MustbeeNuts

• Field Bee
    • Great White Betta
« Reply #5 on: November 04, 2009, 08:35:36 am »
get one that is artifically inseminated. or order from outside the area of AHB's there still are places left. :)  For Now.
Each new day brings decisions,  these are  new branches on the tree of life.

Offline Joelel

• Field Bee
« Reply #6 on: November 04, 2009, 02:43:32 pm »
In my new issue of AFB, in Jerry's classroom a beekeeper asked a question about africanized traits in a package purchased from a southwestern supplier. In his reply, Jerry states that if they purchased a package from the southwest, they may have some degree of afrikanization, and he ends his answer with CAVEAT EMPTOR (BUYER BEWARE) and my having purchased a couple of hives from a migrant keeper that had came from the almond groves (and was probably requeened  by supercedure while there) , and they are so wild that I can hardly care for them properly, my question is how do they stay in the business of supplying queen and packages, if they are very possibly/probably contaminated by mating with african drones.

If you aquire that queen from the area that has africanized queens laying the eggs, and africanized drones doing the mating  what are you accomplishing.
Hey I'm just mystified, and curious

It's a matter of flooding the area with your drones and raising your own queens from what you know is good stock. You raise your queens from a queen you know is laying good offspring. For the most part you can keep Africanized bee genetics out breed.
Acts2:37: Now when they heard this, they were pricked in their heart, and said unto Peter and to the rest of the apostles, Men and brethren, what shall we do?
38: Then Peter said unto them, Repent, and be baptized every one of you in the name of Jesus Christ for the remission of sins, and ye shall receive the gift of the Holy Ghost.
39: For the promise is unto you, and to your children, and to all that are afar off, even as many as the Lord our God shall call.
40: And with many other words did he testify and exhort, saying, Save yourselves from this untoward generation

Offline Jack

• House Bee
« Reply #7 on: November 04, 2009, 07:41:29 pm »
If you get local queens and live outside the areas that climate won't allow AFB's in, then you should be alright. Acclimated queens are the right choice.

Offline TwT

• Senior Forum
  • Galactic Bee
  • Ted
« Reply #8 on: November 04, 2009, 08:13:18 pm »
If you get local queens and live outside the areas that climate won't allow AFB's in, then you should be alright. Acclimated queens are the right choice.

there has been a few I heard tested positive for AHB that migrate bee's from south to the north and they were in the north when tested but the hives came from the south,  I am sure some beekeepers from Florida and Texas that travel bee's have brought them up there and probably done it for a few years now, it only takes breeding to northern queens or northern drones to get them acclimatized to northern weather. like most think "It's just a matter of time" before we all will have to deal with them.
THAT's ME TO THE LEFT JUST 5 MONTHS FROM NOW!!!!!!!!

Never be afraid to try something new.
Amateurs built the ark,
Professionals built the Titanic

Offline Joelel

• Field Bee
« Reply #9 on: November 04, 2009, 08:37:25 pm »

there has been a few I heard tested positive for AHB that migrate bee's from south to the north and they were in the north when tested but the hives came from the south,  I am sure some beekeepers from Florida and Texas that travel bee's have brought them up there and probably done it for a few years now, it only takes breeding to northern queens or northern drones to get them acclimatized to northern weather. like most think "It's just a matter of time" before we all will have to deal with them.

Thank you.

Offline Jack

• House Bee
« Reply #10 on: November 04, 2009, 08:44:57 pm »
In the end we all keep bees cause that's part of what we do and who we are. Aside from exterminating the whole bunch we make concessions whenever necessary to deal with situations as they arise.

Offline wd

• Field Bee
« Reply #11 on: November 04, 2009, 09:19:59 pm »
Map of the spread of Africanized honey bee by year

http://www.ars.usda.gov/research/docs.htm?docid=11059&page=6