Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Work schedule and beekeeping  (Read 3768 times)

Offline Muddman

• New Bee
Work schedule and beekeeping
« on: January 15, 2017, 06:29:49 am »
I've been wanting to keep bees for a long time, just a hive or two in my backyard, but I have a unusual work schedule. I am away from home at work for 31 days and then home for 23 days. This schedule never changes. Do you think I will be able to keep bees? I have a brother that might be able to check on the hives once every week or ten days while I am away. I live in a small town and my backyard has a privacy fence and some tall shrubs around the perimeter.

Offline GSF

• Galactic Bee
Re: Work schedule and beekeeping
« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2017, 06:36:13 am »
It would be difficult. Another concern I'd have would be a swarm of Africanized bees moving in while you're gone and terrorizing the neighbors.
When the law no longer protects you from the corrupt, but protects the corrupt from you - then you know your nation is doomed.

Offline Acebird

• Galactic Bee
  • Just do it
« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2017, 08:34:16 am »
There appears to be lakes and ponds in your area so I assume there is forage.  If you were to acquire a nuc or even an established hive / hives I think you could be successful.  You will have to have an emergency plan in place if there is a problem in your neighborhood while you are away.  Depending on how strong the flows are in your area you may need someone to add a super while you are gone.  Being away for a month and then micro managing the hives for 23 days would not be a good plan.
Brian Cardinal
Just do it

Offline Muddman

• New Bee
« Reply #3 on: January 15, 2017, 08:43:28 am »
I have thought about the AHB and me not being home. I am still in the planning stage and reading books and going to start visiting a local bee club. I won't be doing anything until 2018 so maybe by that time I can find a place outside of town.

Offline Nugget Shooter

• House Bee
    • Nugget Shooter
« Reply #4 on: January 15, 2017, 10:14:25 am »
AHB is much more media hype in our area (and others) than reality and though it is likely some of the feral bees carry the genes out of our 6 hives 4 are feral and act no differently that the Italian Bees when inspecting. Yes this is the end of my first year keeping bees myself, but there are some very large bee yards in Maricopa CO, AZ and there is not a problem for them either and I did much research and asking other beekeepers before getting into it at all. We have allot of washes here with feral hives in caves and again they to not "harass" anyone and do what bees do unless disturbed. My experience is simply being shared here and not trying to ruffle feathers, I live here and this is what we see....

On being gone allot it could be difficult inspection wise I would agree.

Learning to manage without meddling...

Offline Acebird

• Galactic Bee
  • Just do it
« Reply #5 on: January 15, 2017, 12:02:24 pm »
First of all if you are not raising local queens there is no issue at all until supercedure or a swarm occurs.
Brian Cardinal
Just do it

Offline yes2matt

• Field Bee
  • Urban setting, no acaricides
    • Love Me Some Honey
« Reply #6 on: January 15, 2017, 05:33:34 pm »
Maybe there's somebody at your local club who would like to team up?

Online cao

• Super Bee
« Reply #7 on: January 15, 2017, 06:08:40 pm »
First, welcome  :happy:

Second, I agree with the others that it would be difficult to manage a hive properly being away for a month.  In my opinion you would need a partner of some sort.  Maybe someone from the local club would check on your hives while your away in exchange with you helping with his hives when you're home.

Offline BeeMaster2

• Administrator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #8 on: January 15, 2017, 09:08:54 pm »
Welcome to Beemaster.

2 years age I had one hive that I had at a neighbors house at their request. Being away from my main apiary it was left alone more often than not. Most of the time I just checked it for adding supers. Often times it was untouched for over 30 days. It was a poor year but that one hive made half of the honey that I collected. It was in full sun on an old dog cage that had a cement pad.
I say go for it. Bees have been taking care of them selves for millions of years with out our help.
Jim
Democracy is 2 wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote.
Ben Franklin

Offline Muddman

• New Bee
« Reply #9 on: January 16, 2017, 07:42:15 am »
Thanks for all the replies. I'm not giving up yet and I think the idea of finding someone at the local club is a good idea. My brother also wants to learn and could help, he only lives 30 miles away and I still have over a year to find a place somewhere on the edge of town. Until then I will keep reading and go the bee club when I'm home.

Offline little john

• Super Bee
« Reply #10 on: January 16, 2017, 12:04:35 pm »
I think teaming-up with another person would be my favourite solution ...

Another approach would be a set-up similar to that of Emile Warre, where inspections are only carried out twice a year.  Now while I do have reservations about the size of his boxes viz-a-viz your own location - if you were to provide much larger boxes, and place several supers on at the same time, then - whilst not being ideal - this could be workable.

Some kind of emergency facility - just in case things should go pear-shaped whilst you're away - would certainly be a good idea.   Good luck.
LJ

A Heretics Guide to Beekeeping - http://heretics-guide.atwebpages.com

Offline divemaster1963

• Heavenly Beekeeper
  • Queen Bee
  • God Protect and watch over our sons and daughters.
« Reply #11 on: January 16, 2017, 06:53:02 pm »
I like the lazy beekeeper approcch which i had to do this past year. placed two brood boxes with four mid superss and let them go. this winter I'm glad i did because of the wiered temps the bees have gone thru at least half of the supers if not more. so that may get them thru till the spring. i have not been able phiysicaly to breake them down for inspection but have checked wieghts by crowbar lift testing.

john

Offline GSF

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #12 on: January 17, 2017, 02:43:11 pm »
Concerning the AHB, Teaming up with a local bee club would be a great idea. Others in that club could share their experiences concerning AHB. I have zero experience with AHB, but I have some Italians that explode with you open the inner cover.
When the law no longer protects you from the corrupt, but protects the corrupt from you - then you know your nation is doomed.

Offline Dallasbeek

• Super Bee
« Reply #13 on: January 17, 2017, 03:57:17 pm »
I doubt that a beekeeper in Bowie, TX, needs to worry a lot about AHBs.  Bowie is northwest of Dallas/Fort Worth and there shouldn't be a lot of feral bees of any kind there, since it's more ranchland than farming country.  In other words, not a lot of forage for bees.  Of course, the Sonoran desert of southern Arizona has AHBs, so who knows.
"Liberty lives in the hearts of men and women; when it dies there, no constitution, no laws, no court can save it." - Judge Learned Hand, 1944

Offline Muddman

• New Bee
« Reply #14 on: February 12, 2017, 10:39:51 pm »
Update, I found a place to keep the bees. Its 300 acres of ranchland, mostly mesquite trees with several ponds and some farming around. Its about 1 1/2 miles from the Red River. Now I just have to wait for Nov or Dec to order bees. I will be getting the equipment this spring and summer. One thing is this place has lots of varmints and wild hogs, so I will have to put hives in some kind of a pen.

Offline Hops Brewster

• Field Bee
« Reply #15 on: February 13, 2017, 10:43:16 am »
An electric fence comes to mind.  Search here for bear fence.
As omnivorous critters that like to root in the ground, hogs present about the same problem as black bears.
Winter is coming.

I can't say I hate the government, but I am proudly distrustful of them.

Offline paus

• Field Bee
« Reply #16 on: February 13, 2017, 10:57:25 am »
I live in NE Texas and the hogs are on my place in droves of 40+  I have never had any trouble from hogs bothering bees. Lots of other trouble though.  There are roads I take the Gkids and GGkids on that an ATV has trouble with because of hogs.  No one in Caddo Trace Bee Club has had any hog trouble with bees.  This does not seem logical but???

Online Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
« Reply #17 on: February 13, 2017, 11:49:05 am »
Well nothing is ideal, but that shouldn't be an issue.  You just have to plan ahead.  I keep bees and I was out of the country for three years...
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin

Offline Muddman

• New Bee
« Reply #18 on: February 16, 2017, 04:01:58 am »
I am going to the property tomorrow and scout out a place to place the hives. I am thinking of using T-posts, cattle panels + electric fence. The good thing is I am not planning to get the bees until next year and the place is owned by a relative so is long term. Excited I have a place that is close and remote.

Offline Jeff L.

• New Bee
« Reply #19 on: February 16, 2017, 03:22:22 pm »
I live in NE Texas and the hogs are on my place in droves of 40+  I have never had any trouble from hogs bothering bees. Lots of other trouble though.  There are roads I take the Gkids and GGkids on that an ATV has trouble with because of hogs.  No one in Caddo Trace Bee Club has had any hog trouble with bees.  This does not seem logical but???

I'd be more than happy to help relocate some of those hogs to my freezer.

anything