Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Swarm Cells, Full Hive Bodies, and empty Honey Super . . . help needed!  (Read 8117 times)

Offline SarahM

• New Bee
Just about two weeks ago, our bees had filled up the second hive body enough that they were ready for a honey super. I put it on (with a queen excluder), but a few days later removed the excluder as the bees weren’t working the super. A week or so later, they still weren’t drawing out the foundation, though there were some bees up there. I simply figured that the population of the hive wasn’t large enough to be ready to move upwards yet.

But then when we did a full hive inspection this morning, we were surprised by what we found . . . and I think we made some mistakes in how to correct what we saw.

Hive body one was almost completely filled with pollen stores (several whole frames) and full frames of capped honey as well. There was some capped brood and quite a few sections with eggs. There were also two sides of frames that were undrawn as well as some undrawn portions on the bottoms of one or two of the frames.

Hive body two was almost entirely pollen, capped honey, and nectar along with a few frames that had large sections of capped brood and larvae in different stages., If I am remembering correctly, there were some eggs as well.

Obviously, the broodnest is almost completely backfilled with barely any room for the queen to lay . . . again. Only this time there aren’t any frames to manipulate. Because of the backfilling, I believe, is the reason for what we found next: on the bottoms of two of the frames, there were two or three capped queen cells, and then there were a few queen cells in the process of being made.

When I saw those, what I had read in the books all came back . . . “remove them” . . . so we did. But now after reading on the forums, I am thinking that was a bad decision.

Since we only have equipment for one hive (two hive deeps and three medium honey supers), our options are pretty limited as far as splits, etc. What we did do, though, is reverse the hive bodies (since hive body 1 still had a bit of undrawn foundation), and then put an undrawn medium super between the two hive bodies. Not sure if that will help or not, but that was all we could think of doing at that point.

I have to say, this was pretty discouraging . . . this is our first year of beekeeping and we started with a package that has done incredibly well. It’s disappointing to think of them swarming!

At this point, are there any options for us? What else could we have done? What should we do now? I am currently trying to figure out if it is feasible to get another hive so that we can attempt to capture the swarm when it does happen, or if the new hive arrives in time, doing a split then. But I’m still not sure if that is an option for us or not.

Any advice, help or counsel would be appreciated!

Offline JP

• The Swarm King
  • Universal Bee
  • I like doing cut-outs, but I love catching swarms!
    • JPthebeeman.com
I don't care to break up the brood nest. I would place the medium on top and remove the queen excluder.

Having not seen the set up, I'm not certain what you were seeing was swarm or supersedure cells.

...JP
My Youtube page is titled JPthebeeman with hundreds of educational & entertaining videos.

My website JPthebeeman.com http://jpthebeeman.com

Offline FRAMEshift

• Super Bee
I would not ever remove a queen cell unless you don't like the genetics of the hive and you are planning to add a new queen or queen cells from a different hive.  I'm sorry you were misled by what you read.  Yes, I know many books on beekeeping say you should remove the queen cells, but that is absolutely wrong.

As JP said, you don't want to break up the brood nest with that medium.  Put it on top.  This is a good example of why it's good to have all the same size boxes and frames.  If you had all mediums, you could move some of the honey frames from box 1 or 2 up to the new medium.  If all the frames are the same size, you can always do frame manipulation.

I suggest that you consider not buying any more deep boxes.  Think about moving to all 8- frame mediums.  That means less lifting and more versatility.  You might want to read Michael Bush's method using all 8 frame mediums. http://www.bushfarms.com/beeseightframemedium.htm

I know you would feel at first that you are wasting the investment you have made in 10 frame and deep boxes.  But you are just starting out and you will minimize your losses in the long run by making the switch now.  Sorry if this sounds like unsolicited advice, but I am extremely impressed with what Michael Bush laid out in his website.

P.S.  Those old 10 frame deep boxes would make great swarm traps.  Just staple some #8 hardware cloth to the bottom and drill some holes for an entrance.   :-D

"You never can tell with bees."  --  Winnie-the-Pooh

Offline FRAMEshift

• Super Bee
At this point, are there any options for us? What else could we have done? What should we do now? I am currently trying to figure out if it is feasible to get another hive so that we can attempt to capture the swarm when it does happen, or if the new hive arrives in time, doing a split then. But I’m still not sure if that is an option for us or not.

The first thing to determine is if you still have some eggs or queen cells in the hive.  If you don't have a laying queen or some queen cells, then your hive is going to need a new queen.  It's hard to buy queens this time of year but you might find one locally.  Or if you know some beekeepers in your area you might see if you can buy a frame of eggs from them.  Then your hive can make its own queen.  

Once queen cells have been capped, your queen has probably already swarmed.  If not, she will very soon.  But if you just removed the queen cells this morning, it's possible that there are still some viable eggs/larvae in the hive that your bees can use to make a queen.  

You could do a split into the medium boxes you have.  The simplest way would be to cut off the bottoms of the deep frames and then put them in the medium boxes.  Make sure that both parts of the split have a queen, queen cells, or eggs.    This would get you started on a transition to mediums if that's what you decide to do.  If you don't want to go to mediums, you could just split the two deeps.  Place each deep box on a bottom board and put a medium on top of each.

Offline RayMarler

• Field Bee
You saw eggs so it's a viable hive still so no need to worry. I would remove the super in the middle and put it on top. Remove three frames from it. Pull 3 frames from the top deep, every other one in the center, leaving the open spaces where they came out. Put on the super and put the 3 deeps into it so they hang down into the deep box under it in those open checkerboarded slots. 

This breaks up and gives room to brood on top of nest and gives room to draw wax (which they will draw comb off the bottom bars of the deeps that are hanging from top super) giving room to store honey above, and giving ladders and guides for the new combs to be drawn.

As they get it drawn you can remove the deep frames and cut off the comb hanging from bottom bar and tie it into medium frames. Then set the deep frames back into deep box and set the tied in frames in the super where the deep frames were.

Offline sc-bee

• Super Bee
If the queen cells were at different stages of development my understanding is they are most likely swarm cells. Sounds like as you stated the hive is honey bound.

Not sure how much time you have but you could take a couple deep frames away from the hive (not to entice robbing)and let the bees rob them out to free up deep slots. (I have a friend who raises queens, this is how he builds up his stock of drawn comb for nucs the next year and he says he is kinda getting the bang for his sugar as he feeds them to draw and lets then rob them away from the hive.) Or if you have a couple deep frames remove a couple deeps of honey freeze it for later and add the deep frames. No foundation is even required.

If you get a swarm if you have an empty medium you have something to house them in. A ply wood board on the bottom with something propping a corner to create a gap and a board on top with a brick for a cover.

> Or if you know some beekeepers in your area you might see if you can buy a frame of eggs from them.  Then your hive can make its own queen.  

She stated she has eggs in the hive. Search for the queen if you can find the queen split the too deeps evenly and make two hives leaving the old queen in one and queen cell or eggs in the other hive. If you have mixed brood of all ages and eggs sounds like she may still be there unless she has swarmed in the last 4 days or so. Eggs standing up on end laid two days ago. If it doesn't go right on raising the new queen from eggs and you have the old queen you can always combine the hives later.

John 3:16

Offline sc-bee

• Super Bee
Ray beat me in -- I would have never thought of that option :) Good alternative solution from a veteran beekeeper! Not sure why I have never tried it that way, because I do some thing similar with shallows in deeps all the time. Just don't get hung on boxes and their size whether you call them brood boxes or honey supers. They are just boxes to the bees ;)

If they have already drawn queen cells and some capped if you find a queen splitting would be in order.

Offline iddee

• Universal Bee
Ask 10 beeks, get eleven answers. In March or April, when there's a chance of a cold night, I would not break up the brood nest. In July, I would move the partially drawn frames to the center of the brood nest, and leave the super between the deeps. If I had them, I would place 2 to4 empty frames checkerboarded in the brood nest and remove an equal number of pollen frames and freeze them for future use. Then I would check in 5 or 6 days for new queen cells. If they are there, I would leave the hive for 2 weeks undisturbed, until the new queen has emerged.

As for deeps, 99% of the "all medium" beeks have kept bees for less than 10 years. Same ratio of beeks that have kept them over 10 years use deeps.

Mediums and eight frame are for lazy beeks, deeps are for bees.
"Listen to the mustn'ts, child. Listen to the don'ts. Listen to the shouldn'ts, the impossibles, the won'ts. Listen to the never haves, then listen close to me . . . Anything can happen, child. Anything can be"

*Shel Silverstein*

Offline sc-bee

• Super Bee
All said, the first step is to determine if you have a queen ( I would lean toward yes due to brood in all stages) the other options kind off hinge on that!

Some one mentioned swarm or supercedure. Some folks don't like Walt's writings but here is one beeks opinion published in 2005- see article Swarm or Supercedure.

http://www.knology.net/~k4vb/all%20walt%20articles.htm

Offline FRAMEshift

• Super Bee
As for deeps, 99% of the "all medium" beeks have kept bees for less than 10 years. Same ratio of beeks that have kept them over 10 years use deeps.
I don't doubt your statistics Walt, but I might have a different interpretation.  :-D  The "all medium" beeks have been keeping bees for less than 10 years because they are young people who are willing to think outside the box and try something different.  People who have been keeping bees more than 10 years are old guys who are set in their ways and/or have a huge investment in deeps and don't want to have to change. 

Does God give brownie points for lots of heavy lifting?  :-D  Doesn't mean you're lazy.  Just means you will have the energy to have more hives.

Mediums and eight frame are for smart beeks.  Trees are for bees.

Hey Walt, are you going to be at the NC State Beekeepers Association meeting this week?  If so, I'll PM you my cell phone number and we can meet up.

Offline Brian D. Bray

• Heavenly Beekeeper
  • Heavenly Beekeeper
  • Galactic Bee
  • I really look like this, just ask Cindi.
    • http://spaces.msn.com/thecoonsden
I don't doubt your statistics Walt, but I might have a different interpretation.  :-D  The "all medium" beeks have been keeping bees for less than 10 years because they are young people who are willing to think outside the box and try something different.  People who have been keeping bees more than 10 years are old guys who are set in their ways and/or have a huge investment in deeps and don't want to have to change. 

I'm an all medium, 8 frame, beek nerd who has been beekeeping for over 50 years, I must be a part of that 1%.  But really, I'm an 8 frame, all medium, foundationless beekeeper because my 50+ years of experience has shown me I get the best results from the bees, with the least amount of wear and tear on me than any other method.

One of the things that cemented the use of 8 frame mediums for me was the observation that the queens travelled up and down between frames better with  medium hives than with deeps.  The queens were able to use a larger portion of the hive as part of its brood chamber.  One sure indicator a pending swarm, even in the absence of queen cups/cells, is usu both sides of every frame in the brood chamber is open or capped brood.  In a 3 medium brood chamber that's 36 frames of brood.  Any way you cut it, that is more brood than the 16 deep frames of brood in a 10 frame deep.

Does God give brownie points for lots of heavy lifting?  :-D  Doesn't mean you're lazy.  Just means you will have the energy to have more hives.

Mediums and eight frame are for smart beeks.  Trees are for bees.

Hey Walt, are you going to be at the NC State Beekeepers Association meeting this week?  If so, I'll PM you my cell phone number and we can meet up.

Now to the query that started this thread:  SarahM,

A common mistake made by beginning beekeepers is that they place the excluder on the hive at the same time they place the super full of foundation on.  The result of this is are follows:
1.  To the bees the excluder is pretty much the same thing as an inner top, they won't go past it except for a good reason.  Always allow the bees to begin working the super drawing out combs and depositing nectar in the frames of the foundation.  Once you have 2-3 partially drawn combs with nectar deposits you can then install the excluder if you really have to.
2.  Without allowing the bees to work the frames 1st, or the use of baiting the box in the instance of like sized boxes, the bees just go past the excluder.  Baiting the box is simply taking drawn framws from one box and placing them in the box above, giving bees 2 new frames in the one box and 2 working frames to draw the bees up into the new box.
3.  As a result of the excluder applied imporperly, the bees have a limited hive size, as a consequence they begin back filling the brood chamber followed by queen cells because the hive has become to crowded so the hive goes into swarm mode.

Here's the solution to your situation.
1. Remove the queen excluder, if you haven't already done so.  Let the bees to begin working the super unimpeded.
2.  Take the frames that are not or only partly drawn out on one side and face the undrawn sides next to the brood chamber, one frame on each side of brood chamber.  Using M for a miscellanious frame, P for a partially drawn frame, and B for a brood frame, the configurations should be thus:  MMPBBBPMMM if only 3 brood frames, but you get the idea.  The cure is similar to that of the honeybound hive, because the hive is honeybound, and placing the undrawn side next to brood allows the bees to increase the brood chamber.

I'm going to post a new thread as soon as I'm done with this answer on the Pollen Bound Hive.  I found 2 such during my last inspection and thought the information would be of use to the forum members.  Pollen bound is very much like honeybound, the solution is the same.
Life is a school.  What have you learned?   :brian:      The greatest danger to our society is apathy, vote in every election!

Offline Jim134

• Galactic Bee
    • Franklin County Beekeepers Association

1957 to 1983 Deeps for bood and Mediums for super ALL 10 frames
 1985 to Now All Mediums All 10 frames
 Must BEE a 1%   8-)

BEE HAPPY Jim 134 :) 
"Tell me and I'll forget,show me and I may  remember,involve me and I'll understand"
        Chinese Proverb

"The farmer is the only man in our economy who buys everything at retail, sells everything at wholesale, and pays the freight both ways."
 John F. Kennedy
Franklin County Beekeepers Association MA. http://www.franklinmabeekeepers.org/

Offline sc-bee

• Super Bee
Maybe I am lost here guys --- she had capped queen cells she took out. Is the hive not pretty much destined to swarm and needs a split of some-kind if it hasn't already set a swarm and the queen can be found :?

Am I not seeing the Forrest for the trees or have the trees just got two deep!

Offline iddee

• Universal Bee
Frameshift, I think you can find me.

http://www.beekeepingforums.com/viewtopic.php?f=37&t=3836

I use 10 frame deeps for brood, 10 frame mediums for honey. I haven't lifted a 10 frame, full deep in 15 years, since I quit using them for honey. Maybe there's more than one way to work smart. Everyone talks about "natural" beekeeping these days. I have never seen a natural hive where the queen had to go over an empty space every few inches to lay above or below where she is at any given time. So with the laws we have about removable frames, I am going with deeps to eliminate one or more of those empty spaces.

Jim and Brian, you definitely are different than 99% of the others in the world.   :evil:  :lau:

SC-bee, you may be right about needing to do a bit of swarm prevention, but for now we are just trying to prevent a queenless situation.
"Listen to the mustn'ts, child. Listen to the don'ts. Listen to the shouldn'ts, the impossibles, the won'ts. Listen to the never haves, then listen close to me . . . Anything can happen, child. Anything can be"

*Shel Silverstein*

Offline wayne

• House Bee
  The queen may have stopped laying due to lack of space. The bees then think she has a problem and make plans to replace her.
  Giving them open space to work may help as you are clearly not equipped to split the hive if all you have is what you listed. You can only watch and see.
  Many beeks are like any other hobbiest and just assume that everyone is like them. They have extra bottoms and hive bodies and so "everyone else does too".
  And use what YOU want, and like, to use for equipment, not what the other guy may like. The only ones who have to be happy with your setup is you and the bees.
I was born about 100 years too early, or to late.

Offline iddee

• Universal Bee
 X:X  Good post, Wayne.......

*Shel Silverstein*

Offline sc-bee

• Super Bee
>Just don't get hung on boxes and their size whether you call them brood boxes or honey supers. They are just boxes to the bees  ;)

:-D

Offline Intheswamp

• Super Bee
    • BeeWeather.com
Hmmm, no extra equipment...

I was talking with my cousin yesterday and the conversation turned to "old things".  A neighbor family's "home place" house is across the road from some property that has been in our family for many years.  My cousin told me that years ago during a time that the house was in disarray, nobody living in it, and basically was beginning to degrade severely...that there were still some nice antiques inside that were basically sitting their ruining.  Anyhow, one of those was a very nice set of chest of drawers...that had it's drawers filled with...honeybees!!!!  The bees ruined it with the honey and wax, but...

What I'm thinking of is...  A trip down to the local second hand store or thrift shop (or even keeping your eyes open for stuff on the side of the road) might yield a nice beat-up $5 chest of drawers.  A little plywood, some pieces of wood trim, a few nails and a little sawing...SHAZAM!!!! A TOP BAR HIVE!!!!  There might actually bee enough wood in the frame to build the bars and cover with.  It might at least hold the split or swarm until better housing could be arranged. 

Just a thought...   :)
Ed
www.beeweather.com 
American blood spilled to protect the freedom and peace of people all over the world.  320,000 USA casualties in WWI, 1,076,000 USA casualties in WWII, 128,000 USA casualties in the Korean War, 211,000 casualties in the Vietnam "conflict", 57,000 USA casualties in "War on Terror".  Benghazi, Libya, 13 USA casualties. These figures don't include 70,000 MIA.  But, the leaders of one political party of the United States of America continue to make the statement..."What difference does it make?".

"We can't expect the American People to jump from Capitalism to Communism, but we can assist their elected leaders in giving them small doses of Socialism, until they awaken one day to find that they have Communism."..."The press is our chief ideological weapon." - Nikita Khrushchev

"Always go to other people’s funerals, otherwise they wont come to yours." - Yogi Berra

Offline L Daxon

• Field Bee
If you don't have any extra frames, just take one or two of the pollen/honey bound frames and cut out the built out foundation, leaving  an inch or two's worth of foundation across the top and maybe down the sides.  Set the frames back in next to the brood frames and the workers will draw them back out.  This will open up your brood boxes.

If you are careful and cut out the filled foundation in one piece, you can freeze it, then when you get new equipment/some empty frames, rubber band the thawed foundation/honey/pollen into the new frames the way JP does in his videos and use them in a new box when you get one.

I think this would be the fastest way to open up the brood box with the equipment you have now.  Plus you get to save what has already been drawn out/collected.

Linda D
linda d

Offline sc-bee

• Super Bee
Very good suggestion Linda! And the quickest temporary fix I have seen so far.

Offline SarahM

• New Bee
Thanks so much everyone for all of the great help and advice! It was really appreciated. And somewhat of a relief to have input from many different knowledgable beekeepers and to have different options of things that we could do/try. After reading your all’s replies and lots of thinking, we ended up doing both what Ray and Brian suggested.

This morning, we manipulated the frames in the pattern that Brian mentioned in his post: MMPBBBPMMM. (When doing that manipulation, I did see a few frames that still had quite a few eggs on them . . . so the queen was still around at least three days ago.) Then, we did what Ray suggested with moving three of the hive body deep frames into the medium super on top. Hopefully that will help draw the bees up so they begin working that super. It was a rainy day today which kept the bees mostly ‘indoors’ so hopefully they were busy cleaning out cells and drawing out more comb!

So . . . now we wait and see what happens. I did notice last evening that there was a significant increase in bees hanging out outside of the hive entrance which from what I have read, is an indicator of an upcoming swarm. If the bees do end up swarming, I sure hope they decide to go to a place where we can see it and that is down low enough to reach so that we can capture it!

Now with all of this done, I do have a couple more questions . . . how long should we wait now before opening the hive back up to check and see if the medium is having its foundation drawn out and to see if we can then put the deep frames (in the medium super) back into their positions in the hive body deep? A week? At that time, should we check each hive body again to see if there are queen cells?

This has certainly been a learning experience so far with our first year of beekeeping! And I think we have a lot more learning to go before this season is over. Once again, thank you everyone for taking the time to reply and sharing such helpful advice!

Offline stella

• House Bee
Looks like sarah and I have a similar issue.
This is an excellent thread with good advice!
“The hum of bees is the voice of the garden.” — Elizabeth Lawrence

Offline stella

• House Bee
So Brian, how do I manipulate the frames for my 8 frame deeps?
Just forget about an extra misc frames on the ends?
I have been manipulating frames in the last month and moving the empty frames inward one frame as read here because they werent completely drawn out.
I am awaiting your thread on pollen bound hives because I think my hive has tons of pollen vs honey. The honey cells are such a small ratio around the brood frames. I am seeing them filling out the outer frames with more honey at this stage but I want them to have enough for winter.

You are all such lifesavers. Thanks!

Offline BrentX

• House Bee
Brian and Ray, I was really impressed with the detailed and quality information in your posts.  That is what makes this forum a great place to be part of.

Sarah,  with the action taken your hive will likely be fine.  This time of year all my strong hives have bees lounging out side the entrance.  They are not looking to swarm, but are helping to regulate the temperature in the hive.  When the sun if full on the hive even more bees may congregate, then go back in the hive when it cools.

A strong hive like yours in my region will make significant progress drawing those frames in 7 to 10 days. 

Offline RayMarler

• Field Bee
Sarah,
I would check in on them in a week to see how they are doing. Once you get a couple medium combs that are mostly drawn then is the time to put the frames all back into their correctly sized boxes. This will give you medium frames drawn to act as guides and ladders and bait frames to get them to continue drawing and using that upper super.

Offline Brian D. Bray

• Heavenly Beekeeper
  • Heavenly Beekeeper
  • Galactic Bee
  • I really look like this, just ask Cindi.
    • http://spaces.msn.com/thecoonsden
So Brian, how do I manipulate the frames for my 8 frame deeps?
Just forget about an extra misc frames on the ends?
I have been manipulating frames in the last month and moving the empty frames inward one frame as read here because they werent completely drawn out.
I am awaiting your thread on pollen bound hives because I think my hive has tons of pollen vs honey. The honey cells are such a small ratio around the brood frames. I am seeing them filling out the outer frames with more honey at this stage but I want them to have enough for winter.

You are all such lifesavers. Thanks!

The manipulation method is the same regardless of the depth of the box.  Using all mediums allows for easy manipulation and avoids having to resort to the technique Ray pointed out.  Back in the 1960's I knew a beekeeper who ran 3 deeps on his hives year around.  He always had 2-4 frames in the center of the 3rd box that had brood 1/2 way up the frame (plus the other 2 deeps) he pulled his honey bi-weekly, pulling and replacing the outer 3 frames on each side of the top box.  He never had to super and always had a good honey crop.  

Just one more example of more than one right way to do things.

The Pollen Bound Hive: http://forum.beemaster.com/index.php/topic,33822.0.html
« Last Edit: July 10, 2011, 01:42:17 am by Brian D. Bray »
Life is a school.  What have you learned?   :brian:      The greatest danger to our society is apathy, vote in every election!

Offline stella

• House Bee
I really like the idea of 3 deeps! I think it would be a good fit for me and my hive.
Thanks Brian for taking the time to respond.

Offline Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
>I'm an all medium, 8 frame, beek nerd who has been beekeeping for over 50 years, I must be a part of that 1%.  But really, I'm an 8 frame, all medium, foundationless beekeeper because my 50+ years of experience has shown me I get the best results from the bees, with the least amount of wear and tear on me than any other method.

Change the 50 to 37 and that would be my assessment.  I used deeps and shallows for 26 years.  I have never regretted changing to eight frame mediums.  It's not like I don't have anything to compare to.  I've done everything from 8, 10,12, 22, 33 frame boxes with everything from extra shallow, shallow, medium, deep and Dadant deep as well as DE hives.  I've settled on eight frame mediums as the best, not only for me but for overwintering and for production as well as ease of management.  I pretty much manage my hives by the box now rather than the frame.  I split by the box and can split a yard in very short order without pulling out a single frame.

My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin

anything