Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Restricted queen not laying  (Read 2629 times)

Offline samsungpizza

• New Bee
Restricted queen not laying
« on: June 30, 2013, 10:52:16 pm »
I placed #5 wire over my queen on drawn out comb over eight hours ago(1:00pm est), and she hasn't laid yet.  Is this typical? I'm using new comb on black plastic foundation drawn out approx. 1/4 to 1/2 inch deep. Not first time grafting, but first time restricting queen. Tks.

Online Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
Re: Restricted queen not laying
« Reply #1 on: July 01, 2013, 10:15:13 am »
Is this in the brood nest?
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin

Offline samsungpizza

• New Bee
« Reply #2 on: July 01, 2013, 12:33:06 pm »
It's in a four frame observation hive, bottom frame. Top frame is honey, 2nd and 3rd frames brood. Bottom frame was only drawn comb, so I moved her there. I've since pulled the screen and placed excluder material between frames to give her more freedom, but she's still leading a parade of bees and not laying. I can move the frame up to 2nd or 3rd position, but I'm wondering if I shouldn't get a different frame of comb..older wax. Tks for reply. (got the idea from your website)

Online Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
« Reply #3 on: July 01, 2013, 03:18:39 pm »
With the push in cage is there enough room for bees to get in and out of the cage?  It requires an extra 3/8" or so to allow bees inside the cage and still have room for bees on the other side of the cage so they can get in and out.
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin

Offline samsungpizza

• New Bee
« Reply #4 on: July 01, 2013, 06:42:32 pm »
Bees had room to get to her, and did. I used excluder material for face of enclosure, with #5 mesh edged. Zip tied all the seams tight. I have 1 7/8" gap between glass. I ended up letting her go back to a brood frame, and placed excluder material above and below that frame. I'll have to hunt for proper aged larvae, but at least I know what frame they will be concentrated on. I wasted a lot of time but learning. I think mesh enclosure would have worked best in regular body hive, but wanted to watch progress in observation hive.

anything