Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Hive made out of cherry wood?  (Read 2372 times)

Offline slacker361

• Field Bee
    • Thank You Honey
Hive made out of cherry wood?
« on: August 01, 2010, 03:34:46 pm »
we have a hole stack of cherry wood that I was going to make hives out of , and concerns with cherry wood

Offline harvey

• House Bee
Re: Hive made out of cherry wood?
« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2010, 03:51:52 pm »
Real pretty wood inside,  rots quickly if it gets wet.   

Offline hardwood

• Galactic Bee
  • Alysian Apiaries youtube.com/MrBeedude
« Reply #2 on: August 01, 2010, 04:32:29 pm »
I can sell PA cherry here for close to $4 bf compared to buying eastern white pine for $.74 for hive bodies. I think I'd rather use the pine anyway, it's lighter.

Scott
"In the first place, we should insist that if the immigrant who comes here in good faith becomes an American and assimilates himself to us, he shall be treated on an exact equality with everyone else, for it is an outrage to discriminate against any such man because of creed, or birthplace, or origin. But this is predicated upon the person's becoming in every facet an American, and nothing but an American...There can be no divided allegiance here. Any man who says he is an American, but something else also, isn't an American at all. We have room for but one flag, the American flag...We have room for but one language here, and that is the English language...And we have room for but one sole loyalty and that is a loyalty to the American people."

Theodore Roosevelt 1907

Offline slacker361

• Field Bee
    • Thank You Honey
« Reply #3 on: August 01, 2010, 04:38:42 pm »
yes i agree however my cherry is $0.00 / BF , how much heaver is the cherry over pine?

Offline hardwood

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #4 on: August 01, 2010, 04:49:35 pm »
Specific gravity of white pine is .46. Cherry is .56 so cherry is roughly 20 percent heavier.

Scott
"In the first place, we should insist that if the immigrant who comes here in good faith becomes an American and assimilates himself to us, he shall be treated on an exact equality with everyone else, for it is an outrage to discriminate against any such man because of creed, or birthplace, or origin. But this is predicated upon the person's becoming in every facet an American, and nothing but an American...There can be no divided allegiance here. Any man who says he is an American, but something else also, isn't an American at all. We have room for but one flag, the American flag...We have room for but one language here, and that is the English language...And we have room for but one sole loyalty and that is a loyalty to the American people."

Theodore Roosevelt 1907

Offline slacker361

• Field Bee
    • Thank You Honey
« Reply #5 on: August 01, 2010, 04:51:09 pm »
I may have to build a deep or two to find out if it will work or not, I just have all this wood and it is just going to waist

Offline G3farms

• Super Bee
« Reply #6 on: August 01, 2010, 04:58:32 pm »
Sell the cherry wood to a cabinet maker and buy five times the amount of pine.

That is funny you posted this, I had some cherry veneered plywood pieces that I made a nuc out of just last week.
those hot bees will have you steppin and a fetchin like your heads on fire and your keister is a catchin!!!

Bees will be bees and do as they please!

Offline Pillpeddler

• New Bee
« Reply #7 on: August 05, 2010, 05:02:31 pm »
I agree with G3farms, sell the cherry.  It would make beautiful cabinets ( or hives for that matter ) but if I remember right the wood tends to be prone to warpage.  Any woodworker out there that knows for sure?  You would have to keep it stained each year, it would be a shame to paint that stuff.

Pill

Offline hardwood

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #8 on: August 05, 2010, 05:19:16 pm »
I use a lot of cherry for staircases and cabinets. I haven't noticed that it warps any more than other domestic hardwoods. It does darken quite a bit in UV light and after that turns to gray. It turns black if it gets wet.

Scott

Theodore Roosevelt 1907

Offline charmd2

• House Bee
« Reply #9 on: August 05, 2010, 05:31:55 pm »
If you've got it, and it's going to waste, use it. :)   then report back to us. 
Charla Hinkle

anything