Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Location, Location, Location  (Read 9400 times)

Offline BigRog

• House Bee
Location, Location, Location
« on: October 24, 2004, 01:52:43 pm »
Going over the membership list I have noticed that 80 of us have not filled in a location.
If there is a reason why you don't want to please PM me, I am curious to find the reasons.
If you just didn't do it, nows a good time goto your profile and clue us in.
Eivindm has done a fantastic job of making and updating membership maps, so lets see where we all are.

Thanks
I hope you see fit to enter you location.
"Lurch my good man,…what did you mean when you said just now that 'You've got better things to do than run my petty little errands'…….?"

Offline beemaster

• Site Founder
  • Administrator
  • Galactic Bee
  • It is my pleasure to bring the forums to you.
    • http://www.beemaster.com
« Reply #1 on: October 24, 2004, 02:36:25 pm »
That's always been a peeve of mine to Rog. I don't understand it either - a general location country or state wouldn't hurt anyone to share and it is so valuable to the membership when trying to answer questions.

I notice too that MANY people join than never post, which is a shame - even if they don't have any questions, I'm sure that many of the annoymous members have experiences they could share with us.
NJBeemaster my YOUTUBE Video Collection

Please enjoy the forum, and if it has helped you in any way, we hope that a small donation can be made to support our FULLY member supported forum. You will never see advertisements here, and that is because of the generous members who have made our forum possible. We are in our second decade as a beekeeping forum and all thanks to member support. At the top right of every page is a donations link. Please help if you can.

Offline eivindm

• Global Moderator
  • Field Bee
    • Eivind's page
« Reply #2 on: October 25, 2004, 12:22:03 pm »
People have been asked to fill in their location several times.  Unfortunately only a very few have filled in their location later if they didn't do it when they registered themselves.  This message only encouraged one person do so.  Guess we will still have around 25% without their location filled in unless they are forced to do so by the phpBB software.  Would be nice if the developers included this possibility in a later version.  There are some patches available, but I don't know how easy they are to install.

Anonymous

« Reply #3 on: October 25, 2004, 02:32:53 pm »
That should be one of the questions that must be answered. to become a member or post as a guest. Just a country in some cases might be enough but like here in the USA there are so many different climates.
I'm getting ready for winter here, A friend is reading 80 colonys to go to Flordia and the Orange blossoms.
 :D Al

Offline Robo

• Technical
  • Administrator
  • Galactic Bee
  • Beekeep On!
    • Bushkill Bee Vac
« Reply #4 on: October 25, 2004, 08:56:42 pm »
I'm sure most of the no location folks were one timers.  I still have about 25 notes in my outbox from my share of the "Get Well Cards for John" campaign which means they have never logged back into the site for the message to transfer from my outbox to their inbox.  I'm sure the other moderators have similar experience.

I say either delete them or give up trying.  The only ones seeing your plea are those already locationized :wink:
"Opportunity is missed by most people because it comes dressed in overalls and looks like work." - Thomas Edison

Offline Phoenix

• House Bee
    • http://www.cafepress.com/beeholder
« Reply #5 on: October 26, 2004, 12:08:41 am »
Have any of you considered using an online map, with markers for all the members?

Offline Beth Kirkley

• House Bee
    • http://www.petfinder.org/shelters/GA216.html
« Reply #6 on: October 26, 2004, 01:06:04 am »
You mean more directly focusing on where the person is? Better than the one that's been done by eivindm? It couldn't be done unless everyone gave the cities they're from too. Some people don't like to do that, and I really think the state is enough.

Did you see the map yet that eivindm did?
http://www.beemaster.com/beebbs/viewtopic.php?t=909

Beth

Offline Robo

• Technical
  • Administrator
  • Galactic Bee
  • Beekeep On!
    • Bushkill Bee Vac
« Reply #7 on: October 26, 2004, 11:20:03 am »
I think Phoenix means something like this.

click image for larger view

This is a summary of visitors to my site.  It is automatically generated from the IP address that the vistor uses to access the site.  It obviously is not completely accurate because it uses the ISP registration address, but most are within the general vicinity to the user.
"Opportunity is missed by most people because it comes dressed in overalls and looks like work." - Thomas Edison

Offline buzz

• House Bee
    • My home page... nothing much
« Reply #8 on: October 26, 2004, 02:03:36 pm »
I have 16 in my outbox from the get well card campaign. I think most of them are 1 timers, also. Between Robos 25 and my 16 we would have 41 1 timers. And thats just the 2 of us!!!
Scott
----------
"If you have no money and you have few possessions, if you have a dog you are still rich"
----------
"Forgiveness is easier to get than permission"

Offline Beth Kirkley

• House Bee
« Reply #9 on: October 26, 2004, 03:50:51 pm »
That's a pretty handy tool Rob. I would like it better if you could zoom in a little. Between the two, I like eivindm's better though because I can actually see how many are in each state and such.

Beth

Offline Robo

• Technical
  • Administrator
  • Galactic Bee
  • Beekeep On!
    • Bushkill Bee Vac
« Reply #10 on: October 26, 2004, 03:57:16 pm »
I agree.  I just wanted to show that it could be done automatically. You could do a zoom in view, the data is avaliable.  I actually get a table with IP by city and state.

Offline Phoenix

• House Bee
    • http://www.cafepress.com/beeholder
« Reply #11 on: October 27, 2004, 12:55:57 am »
Yeah Robo, that's exactly what I was referring to.  Those maps are pretty cool to look at and find others that are in your vicinity, since there are people like myself that only post once in a while, a new visitor may not see a post from me but could look on the map and see that I am a neighbor.

Offline eivindm

• Global Moderator
  • Field Bee
    • Eivind's page
« Reply #12 on: October 27, 2004, 07:39:36 am »
After reading this thread I got a new idea to my maps.  Here is a link to a map where you can click on the blue numbers to see the contents of a state.  It is also a link to the world map with the same functionality.

http://heim.ifi.uio.no/~eivindm/diverse/beebbs/usmap.cgi

It will stay updated in the same way as the pure pictures and stats-file as I have just wrapped a couple of CGI's around what was already there.

Offline BigRog

• House Bee
« Reply #13 on: October 27, 2004, 08:59:08 am »
Thats great!
How do I Post that. I tried to replace the other map with it but it doesn't com eup
"Lurch my good man,…what did you mean when you said just now that 'You've got better things to do than run my petty little errands'…….?"

Offline eivindm

• Global Moderator
  • Field Bee
    • Eivind's page
« Reply #14 on: October 27, 2004, 09:08:40 am »
Quote from: BigRog
Thats great!
How do I Post that. I tried to replace the other map with it but it doesn't com eup

You can't replace the picture in the post with this.  You have to create a link like this:
Code: [Select]
[url=http://heim.ifi.uio.no/~eivindm/diverse/beebbs/usmap.cgi]Click here to get another version of the map where you can click on a state and see who lives there[/url]

(You can sure edit the text :-) )  In the forum you can only insert images, and this link is a serverside script that runs on my server.  Thus, the only way to insert results from scripts run on other servers into another page would be to make a trick with javascript (where the script creates a lot of document.write's whch can be exectuted as external javascript) or iframes, but phpBB don't allow this as it is a huge security risk (the users could then use the board to spread malicious code to the other users which the admin wouldn't like).  Hence, a regular clickable text link is unfortunately what we have to settle with.  The pure images could of course still be present at the post in addition to the link to the clickable map.

Offline Sting

• House Bee
« Reply #15 on: October 27, 2004, 06:00:35 pm »
Nice work Eivindm.  The map is fun.  The Canadian contingent can be increased by 25%.  If you can, please recognize member number 288, Umbriel971 from Sault Ste Marie, Ontario, Canada.  Thank you very much.
"Where the bee sucks, there suck I." William Shakespeare: The Tempest.

My apiary is about 17 kms. (10 miles) NW (back & left) of this web-cam view:  'See any of my girls?
http://www.parliamenthill.gc.ca/text/hillcam_e.html

Offline eivindm

• Global Moderator
  • Field Bee
    • Eivind's page
« Reply #16 on: October 28, 2004, 05:36:34 am »
Quote from: Sting
Nice work Eivindm.  The map is fun.  The Canadian contingent can be increased by 25%.  If you can, please recognize member number 288, Umbriel971 from Sault Ste Marie, Ontario, Canada.  Thank you very much.

I'm really sorry.  My lack of geography knowledge translated "ON, CA" to somewhere in California.  Never seen CA used as Canada.  It's now fixed.  Sorry.

Offline beemaster

• Site Founder
  • Administrator
  • Galactic Bee
  • It is my pleasure to bring the forums to you.
    • http://www.beemaster.com
« Reply #17 on: October 28, 2004, 06:22:53 am »
This has really been a fun topic to follow. We really have some very creative members aboard the forum and nothing paints a better membership distribution than these wonderful maps. Eivindm really has done a wonderful job here and as we grow it will be great to see the last of the states fill in as well as the many elusive countries that form our globe.

I hope all newer members read this post and realize that THEY may just be the missing pieces of the puzzle!

Thanks again for such fine work and always for the great posts.
NJBeemaster my YOUTUBE Video Collection

Please enjoy the forum, and if it has helped you in any way, we hope that a small donation can be made to support our FULLY member supported forum. You will never see advertisements here, and that is because of the generous members who have made our forum possible. We are in our second decade as a beekeeping forum and all thanks to member support. At the top right of every page is a donations link. Please help if you can.

Offline Jerrymac

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #18 on: November 09, 2004, 06:18:20 pm »
One thought here. IF you're wanting a state location as a reference to the climate one is raising bees in, just that won't do for Texas. There are so many different climates in this state, nothing to do with size I'm sure. I'm here in one climate and I have the twenty acres of land 360 miles away, same state but totally dfferent climate.

Did you know... If one went from the east coast to the west coast along a southern route through Texas, covering the most eastern border ot Texas to the most western Border of Texas one third of your trip would be in Texas.

Also, if you were to set another Texas on top of Texas, it would reach thirty miles into Canada.
:rainbowflower:  Light travels faster than sound. This is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak.   :rainbowflower:

:jerry:

My pictures.Type in password;  youview
     http://photobucket.com/albums/v225/Jerry-mac/

Offline Beth Kirkley

• House Bee
« Reply #19 on: November 09, 2004, 11:46:29 pm »
This is true, but having atleast the state help. Otherwise it's all guess work on how to try and give any advice. Also, knowing the state makes it fun to see who might live sorta near you. And it's especially fun to see someone join that's from other countries.

Beth

Anonymous

« Reply #20 on: November 10, 2004, 01:06:41 am »
Also, when someone asks a weather specific question it's pretty well impossible to give them an intelligent response when you don't have a clue as to where thay live. A lot of beginners don't even realize that the question they are asking is weather specific.