Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: What is your mix ratio??? and volume or weight???  (Read 3674 times)

Offline joker1656

• House Bee
What is your mix ratio??? and volume or weight???
« on: June 14, 2009, 05:51:29 pm »
I am still keeping syrup on my bees.  Not sure it is absolutely neccessary, but nonetheless.  A couple of them still need to draw a few more frames.

I am always wondering....is the way I measure the mixture okay?  I just use a quart or gallon mason jar.  I fill it with sugar and pour it into my container.  I then fill the same mason jar with hot water, pour it in to the container with sugar, and then mix. 

Obviously this is intended to be 1:1.  Two jars of water for the 2:1.  Is this accurate enough?  It seems to work okay, but wondered if the bees would benefit with a more accurate recipe.

-Joker

"Fear not the night.  Fear that which walks the night.  I am that which walks the night, BUT only EVIL need fear me..."-Lt. Col. David Grossman

Offline iddee

• Universal Bee
Re: What is your mix ratio??? and volume or weight???
« Reply #1 on: June 14, 2009, 08:04:24 pm »
For 1:1 you are fine.
For 2:1 you are backward. It should be 2 sugar to 1 water.
"Listen to the mustn'ts, child. Listen to the don'ts. Listen to the shouldn'ts, the impossibles, the won'ts. Listen to the never haves, then listen close to me . . . Anything can happen, child. Anything can be"

*Shel Silverstein*

Offline oldenglish

• House Bee
    • Colonial Honey Farm
« Reply #2 on: June 14, 2009, 08:16:53 pm »
Kinda depends on if you want 1:1 by volumn or by weight ?
If by volumn then you are good to go, if by weight then you are off.

I just use 1lb sugar to 1 pint water

Offline Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin

Offline joker1656

• House Bee
« Reply #4 on: June 14, 2009, 10:24:21 pm »
Thanks!  Yeah, I have been doing 1:1.  LOL  I knew I was a goof, but good grief.  Glad I have not been mixing the 2:1 the way I initially understood it.  Thanks for setting me straight.  That is why I asked.

The website was also very helpful. 
"Fear not the night.  Fear that which walks the night.  I am that which walks the night, BUT only EVIL need fear me..."-Lt. Col. David Grossman

Offline iddee

• Universal Bee
« Reply #5 on: June 14, 2009, 11:09:07 pm »
oldenglish, how much does a pint of water weigh?
"Listen to the mustn'ts, child. Listen to the don'ts. Listen to the shouldn'ts, the impossibles, the won'ts. Listen to the never haves, then listen close to me . . . Anything can happen, child. Anything can be"

*Shel Silverstein*

Offline oldenglish

• House Bee
    • Colonial Honey Farm
« Reply #6 on: June 15, 2009, 12:03:57 am »

I have been told, but not actually checked it myself, that one pint of water will weigh 1lb

Offline Brian D. Bray

• Heavenly Beekeeper
  • Heavenly Beekeeper
  • Galactic Bee
  • I really look like this, just ask Cindi.
    • http://spaces.msn.com/thecoonsden
« Reply #7 on: June 15, 2009, 03:03:00 am »

I have been told, but not actually checked it myself, that one pint of water will weigh 1lb

An old English ditty, before they changed to metric, goes like this: A pint is a pound the world around.  1 pint equals 16 fluid ounces and 1 lb equals 16 ounces.  For the majority of liquid and solids used in food preperations that is a pretty accurate measure.  One exception is honey which measures about 20 ounces per pint.
Life is a school.  What have you learned?   :brian:      The greatest danger to our society is apathy, vote in every election!

Offline cundald

• House Bee
« Reply #8 on: June 15, 2009, 01:34:48 pm »
Here is a web site that has a calculation program for mixing syrup and a whole lot more.

http://beekeeping.com/goodies/conversions_bee.htm

Cundald
The first step in the acquisition of wisdom is silence, the second listening, the third memory, the fourth practice, the fifth teaching others.
Solomon Ibn Gabriol

Offline sc-bee

• Super Bee
« Reply #9 on: June 16, 2009, 01:20:15 am »
I thinksss id was pulllinggg  your leg a little ;) Shame on you id :-D!
John 3:16

Offline iddee

• Universal Bee
« Reply #10 on: June 16, 2009, 09:56:21 am »
No, I'm just wondering...If a pint of water and a pint of sugar each weigh 1 lb., then how can one mix be on and the other be off? To me, 1:1 is just that. It can be pints, lbs., or a mixture of both. As Brian said, a pint is a pound, the world around.

*Shel Silverstein*

Offline sc-bee

• Super Bee
« Reply #11 on: June 16, 2009, 11:47:37 am »
I agree id and you hear this discussed all the time. And it usually comes down to someone saying a pint is a pound all the world round. But if you say cup to cup you will usually get an argument. I don't understand at all :? I do however understand people want to debate the dry measure vs liquid, weight etc I guess :?. Who knows what I understand I don't!

So for me 1:1
cup sugar : cup water
pint sugar : pint water
truck load sugar :truck load water :-D

I don't think the bees measure or care to split hairs!!!
John 3:16

Offline joker1656

• House Bee
« Reply #12 on: June 16, 2009, 12:41:24 pm »
Well, my question was definitely answered.  Basically as long as I can figure out that 2:1 is sugar to water, I can quit being anal.  Pint:pint or quart:quart they aren't that picky.  Thanks!  I'm a slow learner sometimes ....  or most of the time... depends on who you ask.  LOL

Offline rick42_98

• New Bee
« Reply #13 on: June 16, 2009, 02:19:43 pm »
I just keep it simple....I take one of those empty plastic gallon containers that a gallon of store bought water comes in.  I funnel in 5 lbs of sugar.  I then fill it up with warm water to the top and shake it around until the sugar is dissolved.  Done.....I don't know how close this is to 1:1.  If anyone can figure it out I would be much obliged.

Offline iddee

• Universal Bee
« Reply #14 on: June 16, 2009, 02:34:51 pm »
Weigh it afterward and see what the water weighs. Then you can figure the ratio.

*Shel Silverstein*

Offline Hethen57

• House Bee
« Reply #15 on: June 16, 2009, 02:38:07 pm »
For 1:1 syrup, I get pretty close by filling the quart jar about 2/3 full of sugar and the rest with warm water.  I measured the first few weeks, but that was the way it worked in a jar.  [Before you say that's not 1:1, think about all the space between the sugar granules that the other 1/3 of water fills before it reaches the 2/3 level...]
-Mike

Offline Brian D. Bray

• Heavenly Beekeeper
  • Heavenly Beekeeper
  • Galactic Bee
  • I really look like this, just ask Cindi.
    • http://spaces.msn.com/thecoonsden
« Reply #16 on: June 18, 2009, 02:17:00 am »
I just keep it simple....I take one of those empty plastic gallon containers that a gallon of store bought water comes in.  I funnel in 5 lbs of sugar.  I then fill it up with warm water to the top and shake it around until the sugar is dissolved.  Done.....I don't know how close this is to 1:1.  If anyone can figure it out I would be much obliged.

Putting 5 lbs of sugar in a 1 gallon container and then adding hot water while mixing will yeild 1 gallon of exactly 1:1 syrup.  I've done the measuring enough times to know that 1 by rote.
Life is a school.  What have you learned?   :brian:      The greatest danger to our society is apathy, vote in every election!