Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Do you dilute harvested honey?  (Read 2049 times)

Offline Brian Sisson

• New Bee
Do you dilute harvested honey?
« on: September 21, 2006, 11:01:08 am »
I got my first take last night and the stuff smelled and tasted so strong that it almost gagged me.  Should I cut it with water?

Offline Kathyp

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #1 on: September 21, 2006, 11:29:33 am »
i'm guessing the answer will be a collective NO.  if you aren't getting used to it, you could whip some up with butter and keep it for toast.  i am about to make some honey candy because i need to find things to do with mine  :)  i also gave some to the neighbor kids and they love it.

when i first tasted mine i was surprised by the strong flavor, but now i find myself dipping a spoon in it every time i go by.  no wonder pooh was so.....round....! :P
Someone really ought to tell them that the world of Ayn Rand?s novel was not meant to be aspirational.

Offline ctsoth

• House Bee
« Reply #2 on: September 21, 2006, 05:09:12 pm »
If you "cut it with water" it will no longer be honey and it will ferment.

Offline TwT

• Senior Forum
  • Galactic Bee
  • Ted
« Reply #3 on: September 21, 2006, 06:51:03 pm »
no, no and no again!!!!!!  :wink:
THAT's ME TO THE LEFT JUST 5 MONTHS FROM NOW!!!!!!!!

Never be afraid to try something new.
Amateurs built the ark,
Professionals built the Titanic

Offline Brian D. Bray

• Heavenly Beekeeper
  • Heavenly Beekeeper
  • Galactic Bee
  • I really look like this, just ask Cindi.
    • http://spaces.msn.com/thecoonsden
« Reply #4 on: September 21, 2006, 07:11:16 pm »
Under USDA guidelines anytime you add anything to honey, even water, it can no longer be called honey--only that it contains honey.  Honey with a high water content (nectar) ferments quickly.  
If you have alot of it I suggest you sell it to someone who like to make mead.  Honey is deluted in the mead making process.
Raw honey that hasn't been pasturized like that purchased in the stores can take a little bit of getting use to.  I might still contain small particles of pollen and/or wax--all the better nutrisiously.  You might want to make whipped honey--that makes the flavor a little milder and is great as a spread.
Life is a school.  What have you learned?   :brian:      The greatest danger to our society is apathy, vote in every election!

anything