Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: JP And Schawee Remove Four Hives For The Louisiana Dept Of Agriculture  (Read 6859 times)

Offline JP

• The Swarm King
  • Universal Bee
  • I like doing cut-outs, but I love catching swarms!
    • JPthebeeman.com
In March of this year (2012) I looked at a building the Louisiana Department Of Agriculture and Forestry had used before hurricane Katrina hit. On that visit it was clear the building was in very bad shape and that it had at least two honey bee colonies living in its walls. I suspected a weak third colony present but boy was I in for a surprise when Schawee and I were called in to do the job on July 19, 2012.

On that day we discovered four booming colonies!

Our plan was to show up and remove two to three hives but every colony had a ton of bees. We were only able to remove two and expose a third that Thursday.

The next day we were greeted with torrential downpours and there was no way I could go back that day to finish the job. Schawee was out of commission for the returning trip which was on Saturday, the 21st.

I went solo that day and was greeted to severe rainy weather this day as well but I persevered and got the job done albeit I worked until 10:20 that night.

It was a long wet day that began with me getting my truck stuck in the muck but another crew on site was nice enough to pull me out.

The whole time I was there in the back of my mind I was hoping that I would be able to get my truck out at the end of this long day.

Alone in the pitch dark and an hour from home was what awaited me if I got stuck again.

It all worked out, thank God!

Here is part one and two. I hope you enjoy the videos!

...JP

JP And Schawee Remove Bees For The Department Of Agriculture Part One

JP And Schawee Remove Bees For The Department Of Agriculture Part Two
My Youtube page is titled JPthebeeman with hundreds of educational & entertaining videos.

My website JPthebeeman.com http://jpthebeeman.com

Offline ShaneJ

• Field Bee
Nice one mate. The ladies are going to love the second part ;)

:-P
Shane

Offline TwoHoneys

• House Bee
    • TwoHoneys
Oh my gosh, JP, you looked worn out by the end of this one. Ugh. What a long slog.

And I'm glad to see schawee running down the street. It's nice to know you two are not always superhuman.

-Liz
"In a dream I returned to the river of bees" W.S. Merwin

Offline gov1623

• House Bee
Man that looked like a lot of work. If you ever get in a bind and need some help im not too far away. Looks like fun.
Who Dat!!!

Offline D Coates

• Queen Bee
Great stuff!  Thanks for posting.  With that many hives located next to each other and that much cut out disruption are SHB's an issue?
Ninja, is not in the dictionary.  Well played Ninja's, well played...

Offline JP

• The Swarm King
  • Universal Bee
    • JPthebeeman.com
That one was rough folks! I'm just glad I didn't have to call a tow truck at 10:30 on a Saturday night!

Don, no SHBs to speak of. All four of these hives were extra special! Very good hygienic behavior. We watched them fly off with any dead ones at Schawee's house. They would pick them right up off the driveway and up and away they would go! They are very resourceful bees.

...JP
My Youtube page is titled JPthebeeman with hundreds of educational & entertaining videos.

Offline yockey5

• Field Bee
Great videos guys.

Offline Larry Bees

• Field Bee
I agree! Great video guys!

I wish that I had some of that rain here ! Larry

Offline BeeMaster2

• Administrator
  • Universal Bee
Great videos JP especially the ending. Been there done that but with yellow jackets after working 4 hives. I laughed my but off.
Did you charge extra for the extra hives or was it a set price?
I have never seen you look so tired, it was a good thing you didn't have to dig your way out.
Jim
Democracy is 2 wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote.
Ben Franklin

Offline AllenF

• Galactic Bee
Loved the video.   JP, you got nads working that hive in the rain with no shirt on.  Then you surprised me on that pissy hive by suiting up.  Funny leaving those pissy bees with Schawee.

Offline JP

• The Swarm King
  • Universal Bee
    • JPthebeeman.com
Re: JP And Schawee Remove Four Hives For The Louisiana Dept Of Agriculture
« Reply #10 on: August 02, 2012, 04:37:05 pm »
Saw, I had to submit an estimate based on the idea that this removal may not be done in several months. I made sure to build in a cushion. Still wasn't quite expecting four booming hives!

...JP

Offline annette

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #11 on: August 04, 2012, 12:53:59 am »
Nice one mate. The ladies are going to love the second part ;)

:-P

How did you know?? :evil:

Offline annette

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #12 on: August 04, 2012, 01:00:34 am »
Seriously though, I just loved these video and how you both handled these many bees. What a job this was, You were both funny. I did find it funny taking off the shirt, then putting on the suit as was mentioned above.

Funny ending. Thanks for the videos and how you explain it all. One day JP!! Just you wait. One day!! (you will be discovered)

Take care
Annette

Online Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
« Reply #13 on: November 14, 2023, 10:02:45 am »
Anyone of you newer members seen this?

From The Original Post:

In March of this year (2012) I looked at a building the Louisiana Department Of Agriculture and Forestry had used before hurricane Katrina hit. On that visit it was clear the building was in very bad shape and that it had at least two honey bee colonies living in its walls. I suspected a weak third colony present but boy was I in for a surprise when Schawee and I were called in to do the job on July 19, 2012.

On that day we discovered four booming colonies!

Our plan was to show up and remove two to three hives but every colony had a ton of bees. We were only able to remove two and expose a third that Thursday.

The next day we were greeted with torrential downpours and there was no way I could go back that day to finish the job. Schawee was out of commission for the returning trip which was on Saturday, the 21st.

I went solo that day and was greeted to severe rainy weather this day as well but I persevered and got the job done albeit I worked until 10:20 that night.

It was a long wet day that began with me getting my truck stuck in the muck but another crew on site was nice enough to pull me out.

The whole time I was there in the back of my mind I was hoping that I would be able to get my truck out at the end of this long day.

Alone in the pitch dark and an hour from home was what awaited me if I got stuck again.

It all worked out, thank God!

Here is part one and two. I hope you enjoy the videos!

...JP

JP And Schawee Remove Bees For The Department Of Agriculture Part One

JP And Schawee Remove Bees For The Department Of Agriculture Part Two
2 Chronicles 7:14
14 If my people, which are called by my name, shall humble themselves, and pray, and seek my face, and turn from their wicked ways; then will I hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin, and will heal their land.

Online Terri Yaki

• Queen Bee
« Reply #14 on: November 14, 2023, 10:24:19 am »
I have not and it is interesting. Thanks

Online Kathyp

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #15 on: November 14, 2023, 03:07:37 pm »

They have YouTube channels.  I have met them both and they are as nutty as their videos  :grin:  + Schawee can cook a mean alligator dinner!  And he hunts his own. 
Someone really ought to tell them that the world of Ayn Rand?s novel was not meant to be aspirational.

Offline JurassicApiary

• House Bee
« Reply #16 on: November 17, 2023, 06:42:31 pm »

They have YouTube channels.  I have met them both and they are as nutty as their videos  :grin:  + Schawee can cook a mean alligator dinner!  And he hunts his own.

Anyone who hunts their own alligator dinner has to be a little (or a lot) nuts!  HAHAHA.

But then again, I've been called the same by people in general for choosing a job where I work with tens of thousands of stinging insects.  :wink:

Online Kathyp

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #17 on: November 17, 2023, 07:08:28 pm »
Anyone who hunts their own alligator dinner has to be a little (or a lot) nuts!  HAHAHA.

Lol.  I'd say that applies.  Maybe to both the alligator hunter and the beekeeper?   :grin:
Someone really ought to tell them that the world of Ayn Rand?s novel was not meant to be aspirational.

anything