Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: First pkg today  (Read 4234 times)

Online Jim134

• Galactic Bee
    • Franklin County Beekeepers Association
Re: First pkg today
« Reply #20 on: April 22, 2013, 09:42:18 am »
It would be awful quiet around here if nobody asked questions. And believe it or not, someone else probably has the same question but is afraid to speak up.
Thats why we share on the forum! :)

:goodpost:

BEE HAPPY Jim 134 :)
"Tell me and I'll forget,show me and I may  remember,involve me and I'll understand"
        Chinese Proverb

"The farmer is the only man in our economy who buys everything at retail, sells everything at wholesale, and pays the freight both ways."
 John F. Kennedy
Franklin County Beekeepers Association MA. http://www.franklinmabeekeepers.org/

Offline Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
« Reply #21 on: April 22, 2013, 09:58:46 am »
You already have both.  I'd put them on a box of the PF120s to get them regressed.  Then I would add the next box full of the foundationless frames.  I'd pull one or two drawn combs up from the bottom box to the next box when you do and replace them with the foundationless frames.
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin

Offline Georgia Boy

• Field Bee
« Reply #22 on: April 22, 2013, 09:26:38 pm »
That is exactly the plan.

Thanks much Michael, buzzbee and everyone else for taking the time to share you knowledge with us lowly newbees. It means a lot.

It is really nice to know we are not alone.

Thanks

David.
"Give it All You've Got"
"Never give up. Never surrender."

Offline Georgia Boy

• Field Bee
« Reply #23 on: April 22, 2013, 10:08:45 pm »
@ 10framer tried to PM you but your inbox is full. Wednesday May 1st might work for me however I am on vacation as of May 6th we could get together then you that works for you.

Thanks

David
"Give it All You've Got"

Offline RHBee

• Queen Bee
  • That's my pooch.
« Reply #24 on: April 23, 2013, 01:31:38 am »
Hey David, let me know how the plastic foundation goes. I tried to use some and the bees totaly rejected it. It wasn't wax coated.
Later,
Ray

Offline Georgia Boy

• Field Bee
« Reply #25 on: April 24, 2013, 09:03:17 pm »
Hey Ray,

Its day four and just checked the girls. Queen has been released and the girls are very busy building comb on the PF120's. They have partially drawn comb on 4 of 8 frames. These aren't small cell bees either but don't seem to have any trouble with the small cell foundation. I guess spraying them with sugar water might have helped. The PF120's are wax coated though.

Anyway we are on our way.

"Give it All You've Got"

Moots

« Reply #26 on: April 24, 2013, 09:44:48 pm »
GB,
Looking good....But remember, us super-pumped newbies really need to practive some self restraint and give the bees time to be bees and do there thing without too much disruption.  Day 4 may be a little quick, short of some compelling reason, I try and not disturb the girls more than once a week.  :)

Offline Georgia Boy

• Field Bee
« Reply #27 on: April 24, 2013, 10:03:29 pm »
The only reason I went in today was to make sure the queen had been released and to remove the cage.

I am more than satisfied to sit on the outside and watch the girls in action.

Since I am using a hive top feeder I won't have to disturb them again for a while.

One question is once a week too much checking? I need to know when to add the next super. Don't want them to swarm.

Thanks

David

"Give it All You've Got"

Moots

« Reply #28 on: April 24, 2013, 10:14:38 pm »
GB,
Really not sure, I know I just used once a week as my yardstick to avoid the urge to be taking a peek daily.  :laugh:
It's probably a bit much but you have to strike a balance between the advantages of not disturbing them and the advantages of using inspections to learn as a new Beek. 

The other thing to consider is the length and depth of your inspection....not all inspections are created equal.   :) 
Depending on your intended goals, just because you go in a hive doesn't mean one has to pull and inspect every frame.  Lots of times you can get in and out quickly and cause little to no disruption.

anything