Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: I'm B2BTN, and I am a Frame dropper...  (Read 1576 times)

Offline Better.to.Bee.than.not

• Field Bee
I'm B2BTN, and I am a Frame dropper...
« on: June 07, 2013, 04:35:38 pm »
It isn't the greatest of days, but one hive I needed to check and change up some frames I knew...."We;;, this hive is so docile, I just do not even need to wear anything like a hood or suit." I say to myself...nothing to worry about.....glad I didn't listen to myself. Sure enough, I lift a frame like the third frame I am swapping, and whoop there it goes.....didn't fall far, just a tad bit, and I caught it, while of course grabbing some bees in the process...don't think they liked that to much, but stayed calm as they were stinging my hand, and put the frame in the other box, and they sounded the alarm and bunches of their friends decided they didn't like me to much either....I acted like a magician. laid down a smoke screen and 'disappeared' had to walk away for 15 minutes or so, and come back....then they were all like nothing ever happened..... heard they use bee venom to treat arthritis....I should be pretty good in that hand for a few years I'm thinking, and my other for at least a year.   :roll:

oh, and p.s., this is the first time a frame has ever slipped out of my fingers actually, so guess I get to join the club.

Online Kathyp

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
Re: I'm B2BTN, and I am a Frame dropper...
« Reply #1 on: June 07, 2013, 04:50:41 pm »
LOL   :-D

for your next trick, try setting a frame full of bees down by your feet.  then you can see if you can dance, strip, and run at the same time.
Someone really ought to tell them that the world of Ayn Rand?s novel was not meant to be aspirational.

Offline mikecva

• Field Bee
« Reply #2 on: June 07, 2013, 05:33:28 pm »
A few weeks ago I stood on a hay bail (used for wind break) that fell over and I could not move (another story). After about three minutes the bail caved in and I fell over into the open hive. The bees covered me (I was in shorts) from head to toe. I only received about 8 stings all on my left leg. At this time I do not know which was the dumber thing to do: wearing shorts while doing a super swap (putting on Ross Round frame) or standing on the hay bail.  :buttkick:  X:X  -Mike
Listen to others but make your own decisions. That way you own the results.
Please remember to read labels.

• Field Bee
« Reply #3 on: June 07, 2013, 10:26:59 pm »
haha, thanks for making me feel better. I am really glad I decided not to be lazy and not wear a veil and jacket today. I no longer get much reactions anymore, except the initial sting pain from one or two stings, but I've got a little bit of swelling in my hand from it today. all in all 11 stings, but I stuck around a lot longer then I should of. I am amazed at how well those suckers grab and hold on when they are bent on stinging you, actually..... They have good determination. No wonder they are such great workers. wills of iron.... Honestly I am sort of proud of them really.

So how was your leg after that? glad it was only 8 stings for you.

Offline mikecva

• Field Bee
« Reply #4 on: June 08, 2013, 12:09:55 pm »
It was a little swollen from the kneen down. I was given antibiotics and sat with my leg up for three days but a small price to pay for my stupidity. With a single sting, I grab a handful of grass (from the yard) and rub it on the sting location. This makes the area feel better and it covers the pheromone that tells other bees to attack.  -Mike
Listen to others but make your own decisions. That way you own the results.
Please remember to read labels.

Offline 10framer

• Super Bee
« Reply #5 on: June 08, 2013, 01:28:37 pm »
if you had to leave for 15 minutes they don't sound too docile to me.  i mash bees with my hands all the time and it doesn't set the hive off.  next time hit the spot where you got stung with a puff of smoke and you should be able to keep going.

Offline rober

• Field Bee
« Reply #6 on: June 08, 2013, 01:50:32 pm »
i did the dance & strip ( no running ) when i stood on a fire ant colony. i'll take bee stings any day over those ant stings!!!

• Field Bee
« Reply #7 on: June 08, 2013, 03:53:35 pm »
well, I left for that long, I do not know how long I actually 'had' to leave for. I probably coulda went back soon enough, you are right. They didn't swarm or follow me or anything, so they were ok with me really. This really is a real docile hive.

Offline L Daxon

• Field Bee
« Reply #8 on: June 08, 2013, 09:32:34 pm »
Once I dumped an entire deep brood bx upside down. Had on long pants, veil and gloves but short sleeve shirt so my upper arms were exposed.  I immediately FROZE for about 2 minutes until they calmed down and didn't get a single sting.  Just lucky, I guess.

Linda D.
linda d

Offline Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
« Reply #9 on: June 10, 2013, 03:56:17 pm »
The worst "dropping" incident for me was a whole box of brood.  I stepped in a hole and fell on my face, except the box of bees hit the ground and broke to pieces just before I fell on it...
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin