Welcome, Guest

Poll

What is the best way to remove a bee sting?

To get it out FAST any way you can
5 (17.9%)
To scrape it out quickly
18 (64.3%)
To take the time to carefully scrape it out
4 (14.3%)
Other
1 (3.6%)

Total Members Voted: 0

Author Topic: Sting removal priorities  (Read 6292 times)

Offline Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
Re: Sting removal priorities
« Reply #20 on: January 08, 2013, 09:26:07 am »
If it's that hard to get to, I just leave it until I get home...
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin

Offline D Coates

• Queen Bee
« Reply #21 on: January 09, 2013, 03:35:31 pm »
There are a few times I gotten home and my daughter finds one or two on my forearm that I forgot about.  Unless it's in a sensitive spot (finger tip, face, etc) I've begun to ignore them (yes they still hurt) until I'm at a stopping point.  Many times by the time that happens the pain is such it's no longer on my to-do list. 
Ninja, is not in the dictionary.  Well played Ninja's, well played...

Offline CapnChkn

• Field Bee
« Reply #22 on: January 12, 2013, 03:03:33 pm »
Sometimes I'll scratch an itch and find a stinger.  That's weird.  I let one of my fingernails grow so I can get them out fast, sometimes I'll use the hive tool if handy.  Only time I have trouble is when I'm sweaty, and I get stung where I can't see.  In my upper eyelid comes to mind.  I was sure I had it out and found it the next day looking in the mirror.

It's also good for picking my nose...
"Thinking is like sin, them that doesn't is scairt of it, and them that does gets to liking it so much they can't quit!"  -Josh Billings.

Offline bailey

• Field Bee
« Reply #23 on: January 13, 2013, 08:04:39 am »
My thoughts.
I have scraped out and pulled out via pinching.
Scraping is the way.  As far as a valve in the sting circuit I believe if that venom gland has enough pressure contracting to inject venom then the act of pinching should only be even more pressure to inject more venom.

If the valve system I read about is open at the time of pinch then I'm sure it's a straight injection.

If its closed then the squeezing of the venom gland would probably be enough pressure to blow the valve seal
If not the whole valve. 
I'm keeping to the idea of good ole fingernail scrape
Bailey

most often i find my greatest source of stress to be OPS  ( other peoples stupidity )

It is better to keep ones mouth shut and be thought of as a fool than to open ones mouth and in so doing remove all doubt.

anything