Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Some strange green things eating the propolis on my hives  (Read 15602 times)

Offline JP

• The Swarm King
  • Universal Bee
  • I like doing cut-outs, but I love catching swarms!
    • JPthebeeman.com
Re: Some strange green things eating the propolis on my hives
« Reply #40 on: April 02, 2009, 10:02:08 pm »
JP, oopalah, I could sit and eat an entire meal of those babies!!!  Beautiful days in these great lives, health.  Cindi

Lord have mercy Cindi, are you and I the only ones on here that enjoy a good plate of brussels??

...JP :lol:
My Youtube page is titled JPthebeeman with hundreds of educational & entertaining videos.

My website JPthebeeman.com http://jpthebeeman.com

Offline Cindi

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #41 on: April 02, 2009, 10:04:00 pm »
JP, sounds like it, they just don't know where it's at, smiling.....Cindi
There are strange things done in the midnight sun by the men who moil for gold.  The Arctic trails have their secret tales that would make your blood run cold.  The Northern Lights have seen queer sights, but the queerest they ever did see, what the night on the marge of Lake Lebarge, I cremated Sam McGee.  Robert Service

Offline Kathyp

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #42 on: April 02, 2009, 10:12:01 pm »
i love them.  that and broccoli are about the only two green veggies i like.
Someone really ought to tell them that the world of Ayn Rand?s novel was not meant to be aspirational.

Offline JP

• The Swarm King
  • Universal Bee
    • JPthebeeman.com
« Reply #43 on: April 02, 2009, 10:18:20 pm »
i love them.  that and broccoli are about the only two green veggies i like.

You like artichokes? What about bok choy? Lima beans are my favorite although technically a legume.

Green peas? Green beans? Italian green beans, now we're talkin'!

...JP
My Youtube page is titled JPthebeeman with hundreds of educational & entertaining videos.

Offline Kathyp

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #44 on: April 02, 2009, 10:20:30 pm »
artichokes and avacados...although i guess that's a fruit?  no peas, and i can take or leave beans unless they are raw off the bush.
Someone really ought to tell them that the world of Ayn Rand?s novel was not meant to be aspirational.

Offline JP

• The Swarm King
  • Universal Bee
    • JPthebeeman.com
« Reply #45 on: April 02, 2009, 10:25:24 pm »
Avocados are a fruit but they're green so go for it! You like the Californians or the Florida variety?

...JP

Offline Kathyp

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #46 on: April 02, 2009, 10:31:58 pm »
being from CA that's what i always ate.  then we moved up here and i'll take what i can get.  they are so expensive here! if i'm lucky, i can get a good price  in the dented can store, but then i have to eat a bunch of them all at once!   :-D

Offline tlynn

• Field Bee
« Reply #47 on: April 02, 2009, 10:39:09 pm »
 :lau:

This thread is just busting me up!  I about sprayed my sip of water all over the laptop with the brussel sprout revolver!  Thanks for the laughs!  :lau:   :lau:   :lau:

Offline annette

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #48 on: April 03, 2009, 12:16:32 am »
JP, oopalah, I could sit and eat an entire meal of those babies!!!  Beautiful days in these great lives, health.  Cindi

Lord have mercy Cindi, are you and I the only ones on here that enjoy a good plate of brussels??

What about me??  Didn't you see my post how much I love them also??  Why did you leave me out??  :idunno: :idunno: :idunno:

hee! hee!

Offline Cindi

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #49 on: April 03, 2009, 01:19:19 am »
Oh Annette, you sweet thing, you're drivin' me mad!!!  We love you gal, you not being left out, come on, get up, don't worry about it, smiling....you know we love you and know that you LOVE VEGGIES!!!!!(suck it up Brendhan, you shoulda ate your green veggies!!!)  You have a wonderful and sweet night, a great day tomorrow, and remember.....we are here!!  Cindi
There are strange things done in the midnight sun by the men who moil for gold.  The Arctic trails have their secret tales that would make your blood run cold.  The Northern Lights have seen queer sights, but the queerest they ever did see, what the night on the marge of Lake Lebarge, I cremated Sam McGee.  Robert Service

Offline JP

• The Swarm King
  • Universal Bee
    • JPthebeeman.com
« Reply #50 on: April 03, 2009, 01:23:31 am »
Nah, I didn't leave you out Annette, we know you love those veggies!

...JP

Offline Irwin

• Super Bee
  • howdy all
« Reply #51 on: April 03, 2009, 10:54:17 am »

You can add me to the list :)
Fight organized crime!  Re-elect no one.

Offline Bee Happy

• Super Bee
  • that's me - setting a phoenix free
« Reply #52 on: April 08, 2009, 11:51:56 pm »
They look like "squash bees" (if they start robbing - 'squash'  them). last year in my aforementioned failed garden I found one of these visiting my blossoms - not industrious enough for my liking. but out of curiosity I searched to see what natural pollinators would show up in the absence of my neighbor's honey bees.  - it looks very similar anyway. why they want the propolis I couldn't say.
 :deadhorse:barf - puke- spew - vomit  I'm a little perturbed by the terms but it's still very nice honey just the same.
be happy and make others happy.

Offline Brian D. Bray

• Heavenly Beekeeper
  • Heavenly Beekeeper
  • Galactic Bee
  • I really look like this, just ask Cindi.
    • http://spaces.msn.com/thecoonsden
« Reply #53 on: April 10, 2009, 01:16:45 am »
I like Food, except for Squash and Sweet Taters or Yams.  They both have a stringy texture that makes me thing of snotty flossing string.   :imsorry:

Brussell Sprouts are delish just about anyway you want to fix them.  Think of them as Popcorn cabbages to go along with the popcorn shrimp.  I often saute them in a marianade or steam them.  Steamed with a little butter, or a cream sauce...makes me hungry.
Life is a school.  What have you learned?   :brian:      The greatest danger to our society is apathy, vote in every election!

Offline Cindi

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #54 on: April 10, 2009, 10:51:36 pm »
I like Food, except for Squash and Sweet Taters or Yams.  They both have a stringy texture that makes me thing of snotty flossing string.   :imsorry:

Ewe, ewe, ewe!!!  Brian!!!   :lol: :-X :-\  Have that wonderful, most awesome life, day, health.  Cindi

Offline BjornBee

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #55 on: April 11, 2009, 07:20:28 am »
I like Food, except for Squash and Sweet Taters or Yams. 

Sweet taters and yams are two completely different things. Except for the fact they both have stringy stuff..:)
www.bjornapiaries.com
www.pennapic.org
Please Support "National Honey Bee Day"
Northern States Queen Breeders Assoc.  www.nsqba.com

Offline JP

• The Swarm King
  • Universal Bee
    • JPthebeeman.com
« Reply #56 on: April 11, 2009, 09:56:20 am »
The yams and sweet potatoes we get don't have too much stringy stuff. I happen to love both with butter, seasoning and maple syrup.

Yum!

...JP

Offline poka-bee

• Super Bee
  • I am NEVER bored!!
    • Darby Farms
« Reply #57 on: April 11, 2009, 04:08:13 pm »
Brendhan, what cool bugs!  Did you catch one?  Poke it to see if it had a stinger or if it tried to bite? Did it use it's mandibles to gather the propolis?  How bout the tongue, was it like a fly or a bee?  I LOVE Brussels & artichokes, bokchoy, fresh off the vine green beans, peas raw from the shell not cooked...pretty much everything except avocados & Lima's. :-P
Avocados remind me of squished tomato horn worms & Lima's have that liver type texture UGH!  Today for the family dinner am making roasted yams w/spring onion, garlic & honey, asparagus & marinated cukes/tomatoes/spring onions! My brother got a smoker & is making ribs!  YUMMMMMMM!  J
I'm covered in Beeesssss!  Eddie Izzard

Offline hankdog1

• Field Bee
« Reply #58 on: April 11, 2009, 05:45:08 pm »
I have to say interesting video.  Seen insects that look like that but never that big.  I'm sure your going to get some interesting ideas on what it is. lol
Take me to the land of milk and honey!!!

Offline Dane Bramage

• Field Bee
« Reply #59 on: April 11, 2009, 06:45:21 pm »
+1 on the Agapostemon - Halictid Bee ID

It would be interesting to see their nest(s).

As for bee barf, I would imagine that bees find the way mammals nurse their young quite disgusting!

Got lactating excretion?  ;)

anything