Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: New member from California  (Read 1557 times)

Offline rclink

• New Bee
New member from California
« on: February 17, 2013, 12:59:47 am »
Hello my name is robert and I am a home Gardner, composter
And run a community garden in the Silicon Valley! I watched a
Great movie called "queen of the sun" and I knew that tending
And caring for bees was something I desire to do!
Thanks for any advice or encouragement! I did have a question?
Should I buy a single hive or with one super to start? I do want to
Collect honey!

Moots

Re: New member from California
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2013, 07:32:18 am »
Welcome to the forum, lots of good folks willing to share their knowledge and lend opinions here...hope you enjoy it as much as I have.
I'm new to beekeeping myself, got interested and starting researching it heavily a few months back, got my bees, 2 Nucs, a little over a month ago.   My original plan was to start with one hive, however, the more I researched it, it's almost universal advice, something very rare in the world of beekeeping by the way :), that you should start with at least two hives.   There are many good reasons for this...First and foremost, a lot of things can go wrong, even if you do everything right, 2 hives doubles your chance of success. Also, as a new Beek, it allows you to compare and contrast one hive against the other to aid in the learning process. It also gives you the ability to rob Peter to pay Paul...If one hive is in trouble, you can take a frame of brood or honey, whatever may be needed, from one, and give it to the other. etc. etc.

Fair warning...My early experience is that this hobby is quite addictive!  You may think you only want one hive, my guess is you'll quickly learn that's not the case.  :)

Offline tefer2

• Super Bee
« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2013, 08:48:50 am »
Welcome to the forum Robert, glad you have found us here.

Offline Rurification

• Field Bee
    • Rurification
« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2013, 08:51:07 am »
Welcome to the forum!
Robin Edmundson
www.rurification.com

Beekeeping since 2012

Offline Georgia Boy

• Field Bee
« Reply #4 on: February 17, 2013, 10:22:05 am »
Welcome.

Moots is correct in his statements. More than one hive is better for learning.

I too am a new soon to be keeper. I was going to go with 2 hives had already ordered bee for them when I found nuc from another source and wanted to try hers also. So I will be starting with three and I will have some extra equipment ready in case I need it.

This is an addiction.  Haven't gotten my bees yet and already can't stop researching for information.

Love it.

Good luck.
"Give it All You've Got"
"Never give up. Never surrender."