Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Queen supercedure  (Read 1537 times)

Offline Blacksheep

• House Bee
  • william e smith
Queen supercedure
« on: September 07, 2015, 12:34:44 pm »
Hi Guys & Gals: Well I op end a hive to day and was transferring them from a 5 frame to 10 frame which I dummy down to a 6 frame box.While I was transferring them I noticed a Queen cell on a frame in the position of a supersede cell is supposed to be. This hive has a queen which I installed about 30 days ago and she is laying but I think maybe she isn't up to the bees standard and they are going to replace her.Lots of room so doubt if swarm is in mind also bee numbers are not the problem as they are low.
Question is are they drones to mate at this stage of the season.I suspect she will be making a flight 10 days from now since she isn't  out of the cell as yet.
I left the cell as it was  and am feeding them and have bee for a while.
I am feeding 1 to 1 and wonder if I should increase that to 2 to 1  which lowers the moisture and maybe they will store some of it for winter.Thanks,Bill

Offline biggraham610

• Field Bee
Re: Queen supercedure
« Reply #1 on: September 07, 2015, 12:57:01 pm »
I switched to 2-1 a week ago. As far as the queen, I would at a minimum try and pull your queen and put her in a small nuc to hedge your bets. Once the cell hatches, there is a good chance she gets the ax. Then if a mating flight fails, you can recombine, if it is successful, you can make your decision on which one to keep. I had a successful supescedure in late August. She is fat and laying up a storm. Good Luck. G
"The Bees are the Beekeepers"

Offline Blacksheep

• House Bee
  • william e smith
« Reply #2 on: September 07, 2015, 07:03:32 pm »
Thanks for the information!The Queen which is in the box is a Queen I bought and installed in a small cut out I did and she is laying but I think they don't like her and maybe  she didn't get mated very will?She is marked and easy to spot.I have already took some bees and don't want to disturb the 2 stronger hives I have any further than nessessary so I guess just leave them be bees and see what happens in a couple of weeks.I will increase the feed to 2 to 1 tonight.Thanks,Bill

Offline GSF

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #3 on: September 07, 2015, 09:55:42 pm »
Hey Bill,

I'd go with Blacksheep's advice. You stand to lose a hive if you don't. If all works out well then you can X one of the queens, combine, then you're right back where you started. Otherwise like he said, something may go wrong on the mating flight and then you loose if the laying queen is done in. Good luck buddy.
When the law no longer protects you from the corrupt, but protects the corrupt from you - then you know your nation is doomed.

Offline biggraham610

• Field Bee
« Reply #4 on: September 07, 2015, 11:05:13 pm »
Blacksheep, also remember, a queen can only lay what she has bees/provisions to care for, sometimes a queen will get a bad rap that way. I don't know how the population is, but just something you might consider.

Offline Rurification

• Field Bee
    • Rurification
« Reply #5 on: September 08, 2015, 09:05:39 am »
I had a successful supercedure in the last 3 weeks.  I'm still seeing lots of drones here [South central Indiana].   It's been very warm.
Robin Edmundson
www.rurification.com

Beekeeping since 2012

Offline Blacksheep

• House Bee
  • william e smith
« Reply #6 on: September 09, 2015, 09:44:24 am »
Well I am still working on saving the nuc and maybe the Queen!I had put 2 frames of brood and bees in the box earlier but after doing a lot of thinking I believe the bees went back to their old hive leaving the brood and few bees who were already in the hive.
I also think they have been robbed by the others so robber screens will go on today as well!
I guess I should have moved the away but don't have a place to do that so I will try to save them at the location where they are.Thanks,Bill  (Blacksheep)

Offline biggraham610

• Field Bee
« Reply #7 on: September 09, 2015, 10:08:59 pm »
I find robber screens a very valuable and cheap tool. A necessity when making nucs. Good Luck. G

anything