Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Split Question  (Read 2445 times)

Offline mmarmino

• New Bee
Split Question
« on: May 23, 2013, 12:10:25 pm »
Here's the situation...I have a trap out that I'm in the process of performing on a tree in a ladies yard. From the frame of eggs that I put in the new hive, the bees have made 5 queen cells. I'm wanting to make a split from one of these cells and am not for sure of the process. I will post pics later today.

Offline dfizer

• House Bee
Re: Split Question
« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2013, 04:20:11 pm »
Take one of the frames with a queen cell on it and a frame or so of brood, a frame or two of bees - put all of these in a empty 5 frame nuc then shake in some nurse bees (bees from a frame of larve and eggs) then let the hive raise their own queen.  The split is going to raise their queen and she should be laying in about 25 days. 

David 

Offline mmarmino

• New Bee
« Reply #2 on: May 23, 2013, 05:35:22 pm »
There are 5 queen cells all on the same frame, 3 on one side and 2 on the other. They are due to hatch on Tuesday. Do I remove a couple cells and add them to another frame?

Offline iddee

• Universal Bee
« Reply #3 on: May 23, 2013, 06:51:35 pm »
I make a nuc from a strong hive, minus the queen. Then I cut a section from the upper middle of one of the frames. Then I cut a section containing 1 or 2 queen cells from the trap hive, about the same size as the hole, and push it in until the outsides match. The bees will repair the patch after the cell "s" emerge.
"Listen to the mustn'ts, child. Listen to the don'ts. Listen to the shouldn'ts, the impossibles, the won'ts. Listen to the never haves, then listen close to me . . . Anything can happen, child. Anything can be"

*Shel Silverstein*

Offline mmarmino

• New Bee
« Reply #4 on: May 23, 2013, 08:30:54 pm »
that's what I was thinking. I am going over to their house Monday before the queens emerge and get a frame and a couple cells.

Offline mmarmino

• New Bee
« Reply #5 on: May 25, 2013, 03:23:54 am »
Here's what I meant to do:

anything