Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Portland, OR: Sugar water/frames/beekeeping clubs?  (Read 1351 times)

Offline antaro

• House Bee
Portland, OR: Sugar water/frames/beekeeping clubs?
« on: May 22, 2011, 06:34:16 pm »
As stated in previous posts, I am a first-time beekeeper who installed a hive in mid-April.
Hive appears to be doing well. I added the second deep a couple weeks ago and the frames are being drawn out nicely. A few questions however.

1. Frames 1 & 10 on the lower super have still not been drawn out all the way. The bees appear to be building upwards (into second super) rather than completing the outer frames. Should I be concerned or will they eventually get to those frames? Is it wise to put those undrawn frames further in towards the middle?

2. I have been feeding a 1:1 sugar/water ratio since I hived the girls. How long should this continue for? I live in Portland and the weather is improving, but not great. What is the rule of thumb on this?

3. Any local Portland keepers actively attending beekeeping clubs? Interested in knowing if there were any held in high regard. It would be nice to have a local community to bounce questions off of.

Thanks in advance!

Offline Kathyp

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
Re: Portland, OR: Sugar water/frames/beekeeping clubs?
« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2011, 07:34:02 pm »
it's fine to rotate those frame in.  put them on either side of the brood for faster build out.  i quit feeding a few weeks ago, but my hives are established and had store. 

the only way to know if you are feeding to much or not enough is to look inside.  we are having a nice spring flow, but there is no way to know what is going on in your neighborhood. 

don't know if there are any local clubs, but call Ruhl beekeeping supply and ask them.  if there is a club, they will probably know.  also check the Oregon beekeepers association web site.
Someone really ought to tell them that the world of Ayn Rand?s novel was not meant to be aspirational.

Offline indypartridge

• Queen Bee
« Reply #2 on: May 23, 2011, 07:51:15 am »
As Kathy said, yes, you can swap those outer most frames with frames closer to the brood.

For new colonies on foundation, I feed until they have drawn comb on two deeps.

Check here for beekeeping clubs:
http://www.orsba.org/htdocs/regionalbranch.php

Offline antaro

• House Bee
« Reply #3 on: May 25, 2011, 02:43:03 am »
Cheers!
Thanks for the responses.
Much appreciated!

anything