Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: How long for supers in west central Arkansas?  (Read 1019 times)

Offline RangerBrad

• House Bee
How long for supers in west central Arkansas?
« on: April 12, 2010, 09:16:34 am »
Hey folks, Spring has certainly sprung around here and I,ve had my first supers on for about 2 weeks. Since this will be my first year with supers ( installed my first bees last spring). How long should it take to build comb and fill this first super so I can put my second super on? The hives are strong and every thing has been in bloom for about a month. And by the way how many supers should I look forward to using this year? I've only got two hives and 2 supers per hive. I thought that if I needed more I could just collect the honey from the supers and then return them to the hives but want to make sure I leave plenty of honey for the bees so that they can carry themselves through any dearths and next winter into next spring without me feeding them. I havent fed them since last sept. oct. and I'd like to keep it that way. Thank's, Brad
If the only dog you can here in the hunt is yours, your probaly missing the best part of the chase.

Offline AllenF

• Galactic Bee
Re: How long for supers in west central Arkansas?
« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2010, 09:21:20 pm »
As for how fast a super fills, only God can know that.  There are too many variables.   Your bees, Whats blooming, weather, everything else.   Keep an eye on it during the honey flow.   Add a second super when 7 frames are full.  You can extract and return a super the same day, but you don't want to crowd your bees.  If you want, you can pull just 1 or 2 frames for yourself and leave the rest for the bees.  The honey won't go bad for the bees.

anything