Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: new method of using lemongrass oil as swarm lure  (Read 17093 times)

Offline bailey

• Field Bee
new method of using lemongrass oil as swarm lure
« on: March 10, 2009, 10:33:00 pm »
just wanted to share an idea that seems to be working for me here in Louisiana.

as we all have read lemongrass oil is great for a swarm lure, but if the trap is in place for a long time the smell can dwindle down to nothing.
the bee supply companies are using a small palstic vial for their swarm lure but finding the vials to use with lemongrass oil is not easy! i haven't found them yet!

what i have done is take a lab quality pipette ( all plastic) and used it as the vial for the lemongrass oil swarm lure.

the pipette has a large bulb on the end which i cut off, i then reseal the end using a hemostat to clamp the end and a soldering iron as a heat source to melt and seal the end.
i then take the pipette and draw up the lemongrass oil into it.  i make sure the oil all goes down to the newly sealed botton and then i set it upright for a while to allow all the oil on the sides to run down to the bottom. ( i set it into a piece of old junk comb and this holds it fine )

i then express some of the air that is left in the pipette and clamp the top end just above the oil level with the hemostat. this prevents blowing the new sealed end out of the bottom from compression.
burn the rest off just above the hemostat with the soldering iron and save the remainder of the pipette for another lure.

the result is lemongrass oil in a vial that is slightly less dense than the commercial ones and they emit the smell just as well if not better.

i have them in traps that are deployed around my area and i am seeing scout bees investigating my swarm traps with great interest.

the cost is much less than the commercial lures and i believe they will last just as long.

pipettes are used in hospital labs, doctor offices and other places that handle urine.

if you have the good fortune to have a doctor friend there is your source for them.

hope this helps and saves y'all the cost of the lures.

bailey
most often i find my greatest source of stress to be OPS  ( other peoples stupidity )

It is better to keep ones mouth shut and be thought of as a fool than to open ones mouth and in so doing remove all doubt.

Offline JP

• The Swarm King
  • Universal Bee
  • I like doing cut-outs, but I love catching swarms!
    • JPthebeeman.com
Re: new method of using lemongrass oil as swarm lure
« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2009, 10:43:30 pm »
I love the idea. I was at Bailey's place last week and was impressed with his idea with the pipettes. Especially with swarm lure vials going for $3.50 a pop!

...JP
My Youtube page is titled JPthebeeman with hundreds of educational & entertaining videos.

My website JPthebeeman.com http://jpthebeeman.com

Offline bailey

• Field Bee
« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2009, 10:45:38 pm »
the scout bees were really checking out the trap at my work this afternoon.

those vials were made 3 weeks ago and they still smell as strong as the day i made them.

bailey
most often i find my greatest source of stress to be OPS  ( other peoples stupidity )

It is better to keep ones mouth shut and be thought of as a fool than to open ones mouth and in so doing remove all doubt.

Offline JP

• The Swarm King
  • Universal Bee
  • I like doing cut-outs, but I love catching swarms!
    • JPthebeeman.com
« Reply #3 on: March 10, 2009, 10:49:12 pm »
I like 'em better than the Dadant vials because they are a little more porous which in my opinion makes the lemon grass scent emanate better.

...JP
My Youtube page is titled JPthebeeman with hundreds of educational & entertaining videos.

My website JPthebeeman.com http://jpthebeeman.com

Offline iddee

• Universal Bee
« Reply #4 on: March 10, 2009, 11:04:46 pm »
Hey, Bjornbee, I know you can't advertise here, but you can answer a question. Are you selling the lures this year, and are they still less than 2.00 each?
"Listen to the mustn'ts, child. Listen to the don'ts. Listen to the shouldn'ts, the impossibles, the won'ts. Listen to the never haves, then listen close to me . . . Anything can happen, child. Anything can be"

*Shel Silverstein*

Offline BjornBee

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #5 on: March 11, 2009, 07:33:41 am »
Hey, Bjornbee, I know you can't advertise here, but you can answer a question. Are you selling the lures this year, and are they still less than 2.00 each?
iddee,
Yes, and No. You can find them on ebay. Thanks iddee... ;)

Anyone with further questions can PM me.
www.bjornapiaries.com
www.pennapic.org
Please Support "National Honey Bee Day"
Northern States Queen Breeders Assoc.  www.nsqba.com

Offline danno

• Super Bee
« Reply #6 on: March 11, 2009, 09:54:40 am »
If you have ever watched the CSI shows on TV, the little pastic vials that they spin out DNA stuff is what I use.  I bought a large quanity of them for K9 trapping many years ago.  Lure in the bottom plugged with cotton and layed on its side last many weeks.  They come with a plastic plug so they cane be made up ahead of time.

Offline tillie

• Super Bee
  • Bee in N Georgia on a Blackberry flower
    • Linda T's Bees
« Reply #7 on: March 11, 2009, 10:52:31 am »
I made a swarm lure last year of olive oil, beeswax and lemon grass oil.  The formula came from a Greek beekeeper who shared it with me.  It still smells very strongly of lemongrass - I just put it on an empty hive box today.  It's easy to smear and I keep it closed up in a pimento jar...cleaned first, of course!

http://beekeeperlinda.blogspot.com/2008/02/spring-is-coming-invitation-to-swarm.html

Linda T in Atlanta

Offline BjornBee

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #8 on: March 11, 2009, 10:56:17 am »
If you have ever watched the CSI shows on TV, the little pastic vials that they spin out DNA stuff is what I use.  I bought a large quanity of them for K9 trapping many years ago.  Lure in the bottom plugged with cotton and layed on its side last many weeks.  They come with a plastic plug so they cane be made up ahead of time.

danno, they are called centrifuge tubes.

I like the idea of the cotton.  ;)
www.bjornapiaries.com
www.pennapic.org

Offline Bee-Bop

• Field Bee
« Reply #9 on: March 11, 2009, 10:57:51 am »
I have good luck and I think have a simpler way !

Melt a 1/4 cup bees wax 2 3/4 oz warm canola oil, mix and put in small jar with some room at the top. Let cool "some" then mix in Pure Lemon Grass oil & spearmint oil. If mixture is hot oils will evaporate !!

Rub on frame tops, inside box, entrance, etc.

Notice I said " Pure Lemon Grass oil " there is a difference.

Bee-Bop

Tillie You beat me to it.
" If Your not part of the genetic solution of breeding mite-free bees, then You're part of the problem "

Offline BjornBee

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #10 on: March 11, 2009, 11:00:09 am »

Notice I said " Pure Lemon Grass oil " there is a difference.

Bee-Bop

And in my research, there is a wide range of what makes up pure lemon grass oil, based on the extraction method.  ;)
www.bjornapiaries.com
www.pennapic.org

Offline sc-bee

• Super Bee
« Reply #11 on: March 11, 2009, 11:46:27 am »
Bud on this forum places his lemon grass oil in a prescription medicine bottle w/paper towels. Drills a very small hole about the size of a point on a ballpoint pin in the top. And puts a few drops of oil on the towel.

Hey Bud hope you didn't mind me posting your secrets :-D!

See you in voice chat :-P!
« Last Edit: March 11, 2009, 10:28:44 pm by sc-bee »
John 3:16

Offline Cindi

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #12 on: March 11, 2009, 01:22:38 pm »
Tillie.  Oh, every time I take a walk through your site, you befuddle me.  I take my hat off to you girl!!!  You have done such a marvelous job of everything in there, you are explicit and it is so easy to follow your directions, yay!!!  You go girl, and keep up that wonderful work, you are coming a very close second to the site of Michael Bush, with so many years less experience, you are doing excellent!!!  Have that best of a most wonderful and awesome day, Cindi
There are strange things done in the midnight sun by the men who moil for gold.  The Arctic trails have their secret tales that would make your blood run cold.  The Northern Lights have seen queer sights, but the queerest they ever did see, what the night on the marge of Lake Lebarge, I cremated Sam McGee.  Robert Service

Offline tillie

• Super Bee
  • Bee in N Georgia on a Blackberry flower
    • Linda T's Bees
« Reply #13 on: March 12, 2009, 12:56:50 pm »
Thanks, Cindy - the blog is so much fun and I now am in contact with beekeepers from all over the world - which is a nice plus.  I put a world map on the bottom of the blog page so I could see where they all come from.  I like taking pictures and keeping up the blog keeps me on top of things.  You're sweet to say such nice things, though.

Linda T in Atlanta

Offline BeeHopper

• Queen Bee
« Reply #14 on: March 12, 2009, 03:28:09 pm »
Great thread  :-D

Would Honey Bee Healthy work or is the concentration not high enough ?

Offline sc-bee

• Super Bee
« Reply #15 on: March 12, 2009, 04:08:55 pm »
Deleted--- duplicate
« Last Edit: March 12, 2009, 04:21:24 pm by sc-bee »

Offline sc-bee

• Super Bee
« Reply #16 on: March 12, 2009, 04:20:16 pm »

I don't think so (HBH) --- the lemon grass oil supposedly simulates Bee Nasonov pheromone.

The below link mentions Citral which has a strong lemon odor,geraniol also has a lemon odor:

http://www.absoluteastronomy.com/topics/Nasonov
http://www.absoluteastronomy.com/topics/Nasonov

This is all far over my head I just read it  :-D!

Offline Cindi

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #17 on: March 14, 2009, 02:52:41 pm »
Thanks, Cindy - the blog is so much fun and I now am in contact with beekeepers from all over the world - which is a nice plus.  I put a world map on the bottom of the blog page so I could see where they all come from.  I like taking pictures and keeping up the blog keeps me on top of things.  You're sweet to say such nice things, though.

Linda T in Atlanta

Linda I say only the truth, smiling, keep it up and work hard, lovin' everything you do, that shines through, smiling.  Have a wonderful and most great life, day, health.  Cindi
There are strange things done in the midnight sun by the men who moil for gold.  The Arctic trails have their secret tales that would make your blood run cold.  The Northern Lights have seen queer sights, but the queerest they ever did see, what the night on the marge of Lake Lebarge, I cremated Sam McGee.  Robert Service

Offline abeeco

• New Bee
« Reply #18 on: March 28, 2009, 01:59:14 am »
RE: HBH - I would assume that HBH would work as a swarm lure at least to some degree as one of the main ingredients is lemongrass oil.  lemongrass oil is cheaper.

Bjorn- would you care to share any tips on what makes a "good" lemongrass oil (ie what extraction methods are to be prefered0

Offline sc-bee

• Super Bee
« Reply #19 on: March 28, 2009, 02:18:47 pm »
Duh  :shock: ---- yea I wasn't thinking> The HBH does have Lemongrass oil but I imagine the more concentrated essential oils would be better.

anything