Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Idea about varroa  (Read 12509 times)

Offline BigRog

• House Bee
Idea about varroa
« on: October 27, 2004, 07:49:15 pm »
I have always had dogs or cats. And being a owner (owned?) I have had flea probs from time to time.
They have a spray that affects nothing but fleas. It is a hormone (I believe) that prevents them from sexually maturing and reproducing.
Why not something like this for Varroa?
I'm sure that it would be profitable for whatever company would produce it, could I be the only one whos brain thought of this in a rare flash of lucidity?
"Lurch my good man,…what did you mean when you said just now that 'You've got better things to do than run my petty little errands'…….?"

Offline Lesli

• House Bee
Idea about varroa
« Reply #1 on: October 27, 2004, 08:01:27 pm »
I hope someone has thought of it--since "birth control" is big in the pesticide world, and even in the world of "I have too many &*^%$( deer living in this valley!"

It may be that their reproduction is poorly understood--though we do know that essential oils interrupt it somewhat, and smaller cell size also makes it harder (at least) for them to reproduce. Whether this is because a smaller cell gives them less room, or less juvenile hormone, or because the bees hatch more quickly is up for grabs.
Lesli

Offline Robo

• Technical
  • Administrator
  • Galactic Bee
  • Beekeep On!
    • Bushkill Bee Vac
Idea about varroa
« Reply #2 on: October 27, 2004, 08:15:36 pm »
Rog,

Not  a bad idea,  but don't forget you are introducing something that can contaminate a food source.  This is not an issue with dogs & cats, at least not in this country  (I hope :shock:).  In our sue happy country, with people being awarded outlandish settlements, it is not worth the risk for a company to invest in developing such products. Especially when the market is limited to just the beekeeping industry.
"Opportunity is missed by most people because it comes dressed in overalls and looks like work." - Thomas Edison

Offline asleitch

• House Bee
Re: Idea about varroa
« Reply #3 on: October 28, 2004, 12:15:22 pm »
Quote from: BigRog

Why not something like this for Varroa?

Probably money. Beekeepers are reluctant enough to spend money on anything to do with their hobby. They struggle on with knackered hives, old bits of tin for lids etc. They are unlikely to fund a large multinational company going through the drug trials needed to get soemthing licenced for use on creatures from which a food stuff is taken.

It would be very, very nice to have though.

Adam

Offline Lesli

• House Bee
Idea about varroa
« Reply #4 on: October 28, 2004, 07:24:51 pm »
Bayer and other biggies produce the miticides in use now--so there is a market for sure. Trouble is, I always suspect a lot of these companies don't want to create anything too effective. I mean, if mites were wiped out--say, because they couldn't reproduce--then bye-bye profits, ya know?

I just fed my girls syrup with Honey-B-Healthy. We're having a few sunny days in the 50s--and 60s this weekend, so I'm looking forward to them consuming a whole lot more syrup, and all of it will have essential oils.
Lesli

Offline BigRog

• House Bee
Idea about varroa
« Reply #5 on: October 28, 2004, 08:39:28 pm »
I think there would be plenty of profits. They could charge a pretty good amount and beekeepers will pay. To know that you would no longer have to worry about varroa? Commercial beekeepers would be standing in line.
"Lurch my good man,…what did you mean when you said just now that 'You've got better things to do than run my petty little errands'…….?"

Offline BigRog

• House Bee
Idea about varroa
« Reply #6 on: October 28, 2004, 10:26:43 pm »
I emailed Bayer and suggested my idea for varroa control, explaiing the need and possible market as I see it. Who knows maybe they'll see this as something worthwhile.

Offline Jerrymac

• Galactic Bee
Idea about varroa
« Reply #7 on: November 09, 2004, 05:44:26 pm »
I read or heard sometime in the past about ticks being really terrible around central Texas and was really hard on cattle. Someone took a bunch of ticks, ground them up and injected the mess into the cows. Those cows then developed an imunity to the ticks. The ticks would still attatch to the cows and feed but the antibodies.... is that the word I'm looking for? .... would eat at the tick from the inside. Tick falls dead and no time for egg laying. How would you inject a bee???
:rainbowflower:  Light travels faster than sound. This is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak.   :rainbowflower:

:jerry:

My pictures.Type in password;  youview
     http://photobucket.com/albums/v225/Jerry-mac/

Offline Finman

• House Bee
Idea about varroa
« Reply #8 on: November 09, 2004, 05:59:46 pm »
Not so big problem

Today I gived to 20 hives oxalic acid and it took 2 hours. I cared also other things with bees.

Varroa harms are not so big as we talk.

Offline Jerrymac

• Galactic Bee
Idea about varroa
« Reply #9 on: November 09, 2004, 07:00:02 pm »
I just talked to a beekeeper close by awhile ago and she said they have not had any problems with any of the mites or diseasies. Did have wax moth problems however.

They are packing up and moving to Arkansas, taking their bees with them. The husband is suppose to call me back later and let me know what kind of equipment he might be willing to give up. So I might be getting started already. Not with live bees until spring I'm sure.

Is there anyone still taking orders for bees?
:rainbowflower:  Light travels faster than sound. This is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak.   :rainbowflower:

:jerry:

My pictures.Type in password;  youview
     http://photobucket.com/albums/v225/Jerry-mac/

Offline Beth Kirkley

• House Bee
    • http://www.petfinder.org/shelters/GA216.html
Idea about varroa
« Reply #10 on: November 09, 2004, 11:39:32 pm »
Unlikely you'll find any companies selling bees this time of year. You might find someone (a private hobbiest or something) that has a hive or nuc available. But regular bees suppliers don't have bees until spring. Sorta like if you were trying to find baby chicks or ducks at this time of year....... very unlikely you'd find any.

Beth

Anonymous

Idea about varroa
« Reply #11 on: November 10, 2004, 01:02:03 am »
I'm glad that they don't have a problem with mites in Finland. Maybe I should sell my bees to a Finnish beekeeper then I wouldn't have to worry about mites or foulbrood or swarms or.........

Offline Finman

• House Bee
Idea about varroa
« Reply #12 on: November 10, 2004, 07:20:21 am »
Quote from: carbide
I'm glad that they don't have a problem with mites in Finland. Maybe I should sell my bees to a Finnish beekeeper then I wouldn't have to worry about mites or foulbrood or swarms or.........

ÖH ÖH It is normal life. Not problems.

Offline justgojumpit

• House Bee
Idea about varroa
« Reply #13 on: December 12, 2004, 12:49:51 am »
carbide...  EASY there, tiger!  somebody a little touchy about his mites????  Finman was just saying how he deals with his mites.

justgojumpit
Keeper of bees and builder of custom beekeeping equipment.

Offline afar

• New Bee
Idea about varroa
« Reply #14 on: December 15, 2004, 03:07:41 pm »
I grow thyme and Nasturtium, Horse Mints, Garlic Herbs near my hive, and wait for flowering period, bees love these herbs and pollen from herbs are the best treatment for varroa, I do not have any varroa problem in my hives.

afar, Scotland

Offline Finman

• House Bee
Idea about varroa
« Reply #15 on: December 15, 2004, 04:24:30 pm »
Quote from: afar
I do not have any varroa problem in my hives.

afar, Scotland

Do you have varroa in your district, at the distance on 10 km?

Mite is going everywhere and your herbs will not help you when it comes in your nabour. But varroa is not so awfull. I have had it 17 years. It is amost like friend.  :wink:  Chalk brood is worse.

Offline Jay

• House Bee
Idea about varroa
« Reply #16 on: December 15, 2004, 05:56:17 pm »
Quote from: Finman
But varroa is not so awfull. I have had it 17 years. It is amost like friend.  :wink:  Chalk brood is worse.

Yeah, Finnman, a friend that comes over, eats all your food, drinks all your drink, falls asleep on your easy chair and never leaves!  Them kinda friends, I don't need!!  :wink:
By the rude bridge that arched the flood
Their flag to Aprils breeze unfurled
Here once the embattled farmers stood
And fired the shot heard round the world
-Emerson

Offline afar

• New Bee
Idea about varroa
« Reply #17 on: December 15, 2004, 06:06:33 pm »
A beekeeper living two streets away from my bee yard, had varroa in his hives, and he warned me about the danger of varroa, I had sent my debris sample to Scottish Beekeepers Association in early summer to check for varroa and the result I recieved negetive. I will not insist that because of herbs growing near hives will be protected from varroa mite.

I am against using antibiotec on my bees, but if i needed I will Neem oil or Aromatherapy oils eg Wintergreen etc. I also clean my hive thoroughly with using blow torch in early spring. I use open mesh floor. I am sure herbs growing is beneficial to my bees.[/quote]

Offline BigRog

• House Bee
Idea about varroa
« Reply #18 on: December 15, 2004, 06:53:19 pm »
What herbs?

Offline Jay

• House Bee
Idea about varroa
« Reply #19 on: December 15, 2004, 11:43:17 pm »
Look up ^ Rog. :wink:
By the rude bridge that arched the flood
Their flag to Aprils breeze unfurled
Here once the embattled farmers stood
And fired the shot heard round the world
-Emerson