Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Fire wood  (Read 6980 times)

Offline Irwin

• Super Bee
  • howdy all
Fire wood
« on: April 04, 2010, 05:42:33 pm »
I went and got some firewood the other day.

http://picasaweb.google.com/irwin453/BitBox#5456384891714952898
Fight organized crime!  Re-elect no one.

Offline Kathyp

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
Re: Fire wood
« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2010, 06:07:58 pm »
that looks like some nice stuff.  have to admit that i miss the smell of a good wood fire!  i don't miss the work!
Someone really ought to tell them that the world of Ayn Rand?s novel was not meant to be aspirational.

Offline Irwin

• Super Bee
  • howdy all
« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2010, 06:33:10 pm »
second growth doug fir and yes it smells great. Got a hydraulic wood splitter the only part I don't like is the stacking have to stack it three times before you burn it #1 in the truck #2 in the wood shed #3 in the wood box

Offline hardwood

• Galactic Bee
  • Alysian Apiaries youtube.com/MrBeedude
« Reply #3 on: April 04, 2010, 07:08:25 pm »
Doesn't douglas fir foul up your flue too much?

Scott
"In the first place, we should insist that if the immigrant who comes here in good faith becomes an American and assimilates himself to us, he shall be treated on an exact equality with everyone else, for it is an outrage to discriminate against any such man because of creed, or birthplace, or origin. But this is predicated upon the person's becoming in every facet an American, and nothing but an American...There can be no divided allegiance here. Any man who says he is an American, but something else also, isn't an American at all. We have room for but one flag, the American flag...We have room for but one language here, and that is the English language...And we have room for but one sole loyalty and that is a loyalty to the American people."

Theodore Roosevelt 1907

Offline Dane Bramage

• Field Bee
« Reply #4 on: April 04, 2010, 08:06:33 pm »
Good show Irwin!  I've been running my wood stove a lot lately!

Doug Fir never fouled up the chimney here... it does burn fast and creates quite a bit of ash (compared to hard woods).  Not as bad as the willow I burned this winter though ~> tree almost crushed my hives!

I like the smell of burning wood too but now burn these almost exclusively:

with an oil (veggie) drip, like this:
[youtube]HfPcqvlPzDA[/youtube]

I'm already running my two diesels on WVO, & have a lot of extra oil for heat.  Works great!

Offline AllenF

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #5 on: April 04, 2010, 10:17:34 pm »
Just what are those bear bars?  Never seen them down here.  We all heat with wood here.  I have a central wood furnace down in the basement that heats the whole house.  We go though a lot of wood!

Offline Kathyp

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #6 on: April 04, 2010, 10:21:28 pm »
dane, i was thinking those might be good for camping?  what do you think?

i switched from wood to pellet a few years ago.  it's great and far more efficient.  less work   :)
Someone really ought to tell them that the world of Ayn Rand?s novel was not meant to be aspirational.

Offline Irwin

• Super Bee
  • howdy all
« Reply #7 on: April 05, 2010, 09:18:40 am »
Dane how much do they cost a ton. Wood heat is the only way I can get warm. And yes hard wood is allot better for the heat and ash I like madrone http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pacific_Madrone

Offline Highlandsfreedom

• House Bee
    • Organic gardening and Bee Services.
« Reply #8 on: April 05, 2010, 12:11:12 pm »
Here in Colorado we (I) use the pine beetle kill trees.  They are cheep and plentiful.
To bee or not to bee that is the question I wake up to answer that every morning...

Offline Dane Bramage

• Field Bee
« Reply #9 on: April 06, 2010, 01:26:58 pm »
Just what are those bear bars?  Never seen them down here.  We all heat with wood here.  I have a central wood furnace down in the basement that heats the whole house.  We go though a lot of wood!

Those fire bricks are made of compressed sawdust ("blend of douglas fir, cedar and hardwood sawdust, as well as forestry residuals harvested from sustainably-managed public and private forest lands located near our factory in Cascade Locks, OR.  ...100% wood with no binders, adhesives or waxes.").  I've used Idaho Energy Logs as well as these Bear Bricks.  If you can get a local source for similar products defintiely check them out.  The extremely low ash production is a definite feature when heating will all wood all the time.  They comparably cost less then hard (e.g. oak) cord-wood here.  Awfully clean & convenient to store as well (compact!).

dane, i was thinking those might be good for camping?  what do you think?

i switched from wood to pellet a few years ago.  it's great and far more efficient.  less work   :)

They might be too efficient for camping, if that makes sense.  They are a very dense heat source.  When I think campfire I think big bonfire & it would take a lot of them to make a large fire.   They are very convenient to transport though and would work, especially for small cooking & heat fires.  
Do pellet stoves work without electricity?  I've heard they heat great but not having heat in a power outage would be a concern to me.

Dane how much do they cost a ton. Wood heat is the only way I can get warm. And yes hard wood is allot better for the heat and ash I like madrone http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pacific_Madrone

I paid $199/pallet (1944lbs) @ Coastal.  12 Bear Bricks per tray, 81 trays per pallet, 972 total Bricks per pallet.  Each Bear Brick can produce 16,000 BTUs of heat

Offline Kathyp

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #10 on: April 06, 2010, 02:54:14 pm »
i have battery backup and two generators.  i have to be able to run the well and the coffee pot.  after that, the pellet stove  :-D

Offline Scadsobees

• Galactic Bee
  • Best use of smileys in a post award.
« Reply #11 on: April 06, 2010, 04:34:09 pm »

Do pellet stoves work without electricity?  I've heard they heat great but not having heat in a power outage would be a concern to me.

No they don't, but they are basically running 2 small fans and a little auger motor (and an igniter on some), so a small generator would run one easily.

Wish I could get bear bricks out here.

Rick
Rick

Offline Irwin

• Super Bee
  • howdy all
« Reply #12 on: April 07, 2010, 10:45:33 am »
They now have pellet stove's that have battery back up don't know long the battery will last.

Offline Kathyp

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #13 on: April 07, 2010, 11:02:13 am »
quite a while i think.  you just use a car battery.  the stove doesn't draw much electricity, and it only runs on low with battery back up.  i figure i'll just work my way through every vehicle out there and by then, the power should be back on  ;)

Dane, i am not into bonfires when i camp.  i still have a southern CA fear of fire.  my camp fires are for cooking, keeping the coffee warm, and taking the chill of me in the morning.

anything