Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Pineapple Sage  (Read 5023 times)

Offline Shawn

• Queen Bee
Pineapple Sage
« on: September 07, 2009, 11:44:04 pm »
Well Mt pineapple sage just started blooming. Ill try to snap a photo of it. Hopefully the hummingbirds will come in. I have to cut a few limbs off to get going before winter comes in so I have something for next year. Funny thing is the bigger it gets the less there is of the pineapple smell.

Offline Cindi

• Galactic Bee
Re: Pineapple Sage
« Reply #1 on: September 10, 2009, 11:18:09 am »
Shawn, lovely.  I grew that one year, but nothing much came of it.  Perhaps something missing in my soil.  I really wanted to sniff pineapple sage, nice to hear of that little story, a picture would be wonderful too, bring that on.  Have that wonderful and most great day, great health too.  Cindi
There are strange things done in the midnight sun by the men who moil for gold.  The Arctic trails have their secret tales that would make your blood run cold.  The Northern Lights have seen queer sights, but the queerest they ever did see, what the night on the marge of Lake Lebarge, I cremated Sam McGee.  Robert Service

Offline Shawn

• Queen Bee
« Reply #2 on: September 16, 2009, 03:05:16 pm »
Ok I finally got some pictures of the pineapple sage.

I still need take some cuttings and bring them inside for next year. I read I should have pinched off most of the tops so it would have pushed out more than going straight up.

Offline poka-bee

• Super Bee
  • I am NEVER bored!!
    • Darby Farms
« Reply #3 on: September 20, 2009, 11:43:15 pm »
Our sages will go through the winter with mulching, don't know how much colder it is where you are, try it though it may surprise you.  It will get bushier with pinching back early in the year, will give you more flowering stalks.  It is a beautiful plant.  I am going to make myself an herb garden next year.  Planning & marking areas now, gonna get soil from the cow/horse pasture to winter over & be ready for spring.  I have marjoram, oregano, borage, lemon balm & 4 different types of mints just growing wherever now, most I didn't ever plant!
Jody
I'm covered in Beeesssss!  Eddie Izzard

Offline Shawn

• Queen Bee
« Reply #4 on: September 21, 2009, 12:08:30 pm »
DO you think the mulch will work? I guess I should ahve said they are in containers and not in the ground.

Offline poka-bee

• Super Bee
  • I am NEVER bored!!
    • Darby Farms
« Reply #5 on: September 21, 2009, 12:24:07 pm »
It might, worth a try anyways.  I would put the pot in a sheltered place in the yard or against the house & pile bark or pine needles or something around & over before the 1st hard freeze.
Jody
I'm covered in Beeesssss!  Eddie Izzard

Offline Shawn

• Queen Bee
« Reply #6 on: September 21, 2009, 01:17:00 pm »
Ok. Thanks. Since I have two pots Ill still take some clippings and start a few inside just to make sure. It is really blooming like crazy now. The temps are only in the 60s today and are suppose to be like that all week.

Offline reinbeau

• Super Bee
« Reply #7 on: September 22, 2009, 11:01:59 am »
I hate to say it, Shawn, but mulch won't work, unless you're in zone 7.  I'm pretty sure Jody is in zone 7 up there in WA, but I might be wrong.  I grow pineapple sage (Salvia elegans) every year here in my zone 6a garden and it never makes it.  As a matter of fact my season is just short enough that it usually gets zapped by frost while it's blooming.  :-x

Offline Portia

• New Bee
« Reply #8 on: December 15, 2009, 09:43:25 am »
Miine must be in a little microclimate area of my yard because it has survived and thrived for 3 years now, growing every bigger each year and producing a multitude of blooms. The only thing that stymied it this fall was a sudden snow/ice storm, but up until then the thing was covered with bees on the warmer days.  In fact, it has grown so big that I have to cut it back on one side so a little pear tree can get adequate sun & sustenance.  I'm in a zone 6.5-7, but with these weird winters who knows what will and won't survive with our temps going from teens to 50's in one day. My poor fruit trees sprouted out some new leaves with the last warmth.

Offline Shawn

• Queen Bee
« Reply #9 on: December 16, 2009, 12:00:06 am »
Well I finally got tired of seeing the cuttings in the glasses in the window so I got some dirt and went to plant them. The roots were so long I had to cut them so they would fit in the pots. I hope they make it till spring.

Offline Shawn

• Queen Bee
« Reply #10 on: January 07, 2010, 06:46:56 pm »
Ok I have another question. One of the stems I just planted is doing good, almost too good. Can I cut it back and it still live? Can I put the new cut piece in water and expect to get roots?